REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources

Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources All Nissan & Infiniti Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 04-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

1996 Nissan Maxima SE

So my engine light went on and lucky me i was doing my work experience at north shore acura so i had them check it out for me
the computer read that it was a knock sensor circuit malfunction and an o2 sensor
now i read that apparently there are 2 downstream o2 sensors and 1 upstream o2 sensor
how would i find out which o2 sensor needs replacing?
Advertisement
Naoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Check the voltage output and compare to specs in the factory repair manual.
immorality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

you need the code that it reads should be Pxxx and Bx

the knock code is nothing
i believe heated o2 code is front
b1 or b2 is either right or left.
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Check the voltage output and compare to specs in the factory repair manual.
I agree with immorality. Easiest way. But you need a good accurate volt meter as most systems run half a volt.
BoostLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

PM me.

In your y-pipe you have 2 o2 sensors.

Your car should be a federal spec. You have 3 o2 sensors

You have 1 on Bank 1(Firewall side), Bank 2 (front), and one behind the Main cat.

The function of the two Pre cat o2 sensors is A/F control/closed loop control. Those 2 o2 sensors are the ones that will effect the vehicle. The post cat o2 sensors does nothing in terms of performance but strictly for monitoring purposes.

If your replacing the o2 sensor yourself. The bank 1 firewall side connector leads all the way up near the passenger side strut tower. If you stand beside the passenger side wheel looking into the engine bay, on the top of the timing cover just on beside the intake manifold is the connector for that o2 sensor.

For Bank 2 it is directly infront of the radiator, to the right of the dipstick there are 2 connectors one is for the crank position sensor (REF) the other is for the o2 sensor. Disconnect it, they are several clips connecting the harness to the engine mounts so remember to push those back in.

The Post cat o2 sensors harness tucks inside the vehicle behind a rubber grommet. Just pull it out and out comes the connector.

IIRC you should be able to get the o2 sensors out with a 7/8" wrench" Not sure might be 7/8" or 3/4". Alternatively an o2 sensor socket. Soak them with PB blaster or some sort of penetrating fluid first.

Good luck. All the o2 sensors are pretty simple to get too. Shouldnt take more than an hour assuming it comes out with some luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

holy fak you work at a dealer or what?
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

On maxima's the knock sensor performs a very important role. A dead knock sensor kills acceleration and fuel economy. It leaves the car in a "safe mode" resulting in less power/poor fuel economy.

The knock sensor code is P0325. The knock sensor is located underneath the plenum in the valley. If you have small hands you can replace it pretty easy. You will need a 1/4" ratchet with a 12" extension, 6" extension and a 12mm elbow.

Without knowing the actual code its hard to tell which one is which. With a good OBD2 reader with live data monitoring you can monitor how much the o2 sensor swtiches back and fourth (between lean/rich), because thats all a narrow band o2 sensor does. If the ECU detects its not switching enough it will trip the code. Generally when o2 sensors get old, they have a tendancy to get "lazy" and will slow down.

Oh and yes, I do work at the dealer, and i owned a maxima!