REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Licence Plate Obstruction?

What exactly deems a plate to have it's view obstructed? Currently my plate is at the very front of the car mounted in it's factory spot. I don't want to have to fold the plate considering that's illegal too, but is it illegal to TAPE over the bottom inch and top inch with black tape? It doesn't cover any of the letters or numbers or even the "British Columbia" on the top. It's not technically defacing the plate.
Advertisement

Follow Me on Instagram @ tommtomm84

02 BMW M3 - Supercharged
94 BMW 318 - M3'd and M50'd - SOLD
90 Integra GS-Turbo - 11.180 @ 140.86mph DOT Tires - SOLD
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Teggin View Post
What exactly deems a plate to have it's view obstructed? Currently my plate is at the very front of the car mounted in it's factory spot. I don't want to have to fold the plate considering that's illegal too, but is it illegal to TAPE over the bottom inch and top inch with black tape? It doesn't cover any of the letters or numbers or even the "British Columbia" on the top. It's not technically defacing the plate.
Yes it is. You're covering part of the plate up, thereby obstructing full visibility of the plate.

I like to be able to see the complete plate, and be able tell that it is a legitimate, metal plate. I've seen colour photocopies of plates, I've seen the stickers, I've seen legitimate plates stamped flat, spraypainted, and new numbers and letters attached all "hidden" behind a clear plastic cover....

I also like to be able to read the complete val tag, to ensure that it is the proper/real one. Most licence plate frames/covers do not allow me to do the above.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Ohh well I guess that answers that!

Follow Me on Instagram @ tommtomm84

02 BMW M3 - Supercharged
94 BMW 318 - M3'd and M50'd - SOLD
90 Integra GS-Turbo - 11.180 @ 140.86mph DOT Tires - SOLD
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I have a question I've been curious about for a while now. My brother's front bumper has no place to mount a plate, so he zap-strapped it to one of the pillars (see his av, he's Raid3n, to see what I mean), but the metal would scrape off paint, would he get in trouble for having black tape on the top and the bottom? And he's allowed to have it zap-strapped right? As long as it's clearly visible and affixed to the front end?

Edit: I just realized you can see the "pillar" I'm talking about in my av, his car is the middle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
I have a question I've been curious about for a while now. My brother's front bumper has no place to mount a plate, so he zap-strapped it to one of the pillars (see his av, he's Raid3n, to see what I mean), but the metal would scrape off paint, would he get in trouble for having black tape on the top and the bottom? And he's allowed to have it zap-strapped right? As long as it's clearly visible and affixed to the front end?

Edit: I just realized you can see the "pillar" I'm talking about in my av, his car is the middle one.
^ wow a brother + sister combo on RS .... are there any others?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so does this mean my plate is considered illegal? btw the bottom is just folded at 90 degrees.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Yes, it would make it illegal. Your not allowed to make any changes to your plates whatsoever.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:

Ya techinally his plate is considered obstructed, because of the electrical tape
fc10a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:

Technically, having it strapped is illegal and he can be ticketed for an insecure front plate. The metal that chips away at the paint is also chipping away at the plastic zap-straps. Bite the bullet, drill some holes and screw it to the bumper with some washers on each side of the bumper.

And yes, like stated above, black tape is a no-no.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
so does this mean my plate is considered illegal? btw the bottom is just folded at 90 degrees.
Correct.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Technically, having it strapped is illegal and he can be ticketed for an insecure front plate.
Really? I believe skidmark's advice in other threads disagrees with that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #12

*shrug* After having seen zap-straps worn nearly all the way through by the edge of the plate, I don't mind ticketing for it and articulating my reasoning to a JJP. Most people are attaching it to the mesh, and for a few cents more, could have picked up some small bolts, nuts and washers and made it quite secure and not worried about a) the metal plate wearing down the plastic, or b) getting a ticket.

I usually issue a Notice and Order to have them fix it and bring it back to the detachment on a day when I'm working.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #13

Hm, I see. Well the problem with his front bumper is that there really isn't anywhere to secure it to. His av would be a better place to look to see. It would either lay flat, or be turned downward, thus making it nearly impossible to see.

wtf, jer I didn't know you were on here O.o

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If it was zap strapped so that it is secure fastened, then it would be ok. If it's zap strapped and moves so that it cannot be clearly seen (eg as you move along) then it is NOT securely fastened.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
*shrug* After having seen zap-straps worn nearly all the way through by the edge of the plate, I don't mind ticketing for it and articulating my reasoning to a JJP.
The regs say only that the plate must be "securely fastened". If the straps are almost worn through and/or the plate is loose, that MIGHT be a case for deeming it "insecure", but it's a stretch otherwise.
Quote:
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

Quote:
*shrug* After having seen zap-straps worn nearly all the way through by the edge of the plate, I don't mind ticketing for it and articulating my reasoning to a JJP. Most people are attaching it to the mesh, and for a few cents more, could have picked up some small bolts, nuts and washers and made it quite secure and not worried about a) the metal plate wearing down the plastic, or b) getting a ticket.

I usually issue a Notice and Order to have them fix it and bring it back to the detachment on a day when I'm working.

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #17

His license plate is zapped on tight. No moving at all.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The bottom of my plate is also folded 90 degrees and zap strapped to the lower part of my bumper. It is secure and clearly visible and I've never had any problems with it. Zap strapped for a year already and still no sign of wear or the metal eating though them.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

I got a good chuckle the other day when I saw a "Tour de Rock" licence plate frame covering up 2/3rds of the "Beautiful British Columbia".
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Yeah make sure you guys have the plate properly mounted, don't be picking up any bad JDM habits like myself.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9342/img1001xpu.jpg
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
racing & tech mod.

The point of a plate is to identify the owner/operator of the vehicle and to ensure that it is insured. If the NUMBERS & LETTERS are visible (which is what the MVA 'requires') and the insurance decals and province or state of origin is visible, then you are fine.

If the cop is hassling you because of tape that covers the white part of the plate, or a plate frame that slightly covers the very top edges of the 'british columbia' lettering, well then that cop needs a kick in the nuts for being an anal retard. I'm sorry if that is offensive but there is no reason to be a robocop. Most cops are very easy reasonable and will not give you a hard time unless you were driving like a jerk and deserve to be hassled.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Top quote one of my favourite, now retired Traffic Court JPs, when commenting about the MV Regulations. They are black & white...either something IS...or it IS NOT. It's like being pregnant, either you are or you are not. Yes ANY obstruction IS AN OBSTRUCTION, yet, as Rich said above, unless it is an attitude adjustment session, you would be very unlikely to get a VT for the tape holding the plate on. The same for a tiny portion of the non lettered part of the plate. From there on it can go downhill depending on how "pregnant" you are and what your attitude is like.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
From there on it can go downhill depending on how "pregnant" you are and what your attitude is like.
Pre-natal hormone imbalance in a helluva thing...
Quote:
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #24
RS Peace Officer

Right up there with PMS!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
ok well, the screw head of the Bolt would be an obstruction. same with the washer behind the screw head. I have seen some bigggg washers I could fit in there if I wanted to.

So, every single car dealership or performance parts supplier, that includes a licence plate frame of their company can inadvertently cause a Obstruction ticket?

is this legal? ( If it wasnt bent ) ....lol
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attach...-plate-365.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png

Last edited by MWR34; 08-19-2009 at 05:04 PM.
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote