REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Japan/HK Trip Planning

Question for you guys, I am planning a trip to Japan (mainly for Japan) in Mid August for 13-20 days. depending on my school/work schdule. I need some help on planning to minimize cost and maximize fun. here's my situation:

I have a free place to stay in HK, should I fly to HK first, and then join tours packages in HK and go to Japan? or should i just book a flight ticket to Japan first, then visit HK after?

How long should I be staying in Japan? I want to visit as many places as possible, shop, sightseeing, food, practically anything will do.

How much am I looking to spend?

remember, I have a free place to stay in HK, so that will save some living expenses.

any input will do!
Advertisement
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

book a tour pkg in jpn, should stay about 6-8 days depending on that pkg

fly over to hk and chill out
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
What is it with Chinese people (assuming you're Chinese here, sorry if I'm mistaken) and going on tours whenever they travel? What's wrong with travelling on your own, doing what you want, when you want? I always LOL when I see these groups of people following flag-carrying geeks around like sheep.

And by "Japan" what exactly do you mean? Japan is a pretty huge country, with vast variety depending on where you go (and when). I assume you probably want to stay in Tokyo and see all that. I think 7 days should be plenty to get your fill there.

If you decide not to be a drone that follows tours around, you can read my guide on how to find a Ryokan or Hotel in Japan online. It will help keep costs as low as possible.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

planning own trips and traveling to the hotspots is just too much work

it's not like japan is like hawaii where a beach and resort is all u need
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
It's not that hard to plan. And besides, it's the unplanned portions of trips that are the usually the highlights.

If you're just going to hit up the same tourist spots as everyone, 2 or 3 days is enough. Wake up at 7am, go to bed at midnight. You'll see it all
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

have to agree with skinny on this one. why go on a boring tour... be adventurous, it'll probably pay off in the end.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
tours on the worst, they always take you on tourist traps, and your stuck with 60 old perverts.

Travelling solo is pretty easy, but can get lonely, which is probably why you should stay in a hostel.

pick up a lonely planet ignore the food and accomidation settings, (www.hostelworld.com) and go from there.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

yea, there is the hostel, exploring and researching route to go with. but planning a trip takes soooooooo long, i spent about 3 days planning about a 3 days portland trip. LOL

tour packages = easy because i do want to go to the tourist attractions and stuff. transportation will be a piece of cake when the tour bus drop you off everywhere.

and thanks Majin, those hostels are what i am looking for! $40 a night is pretty good i guess.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
yea, there is the hostel, exploring and researching route to go with. but planning a trip takes soooooooo long, i spent about 3 days planning about a 3 days portland trip. LOL

tour packages = easy because i do want to go to the tourist attractions and stuff. transportation will be a piece of cake when the tour bus drop you off everywhere.

and thanks Majin, those hostels are what i am looking for! $40 a night is pretty good i guess.
if your looking for a hostel to stay in tokyo, i've heard good things about k's house. i've actually booked my week in tokyo there for july. the reviews for it have been generally good.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

I stayed at sakura's hostel and it was pretty good. ~2900 yen a night.

http://www.hostelworld.com/availabil...sa/Tokyo/15725

The people are pretty tame though, as it is filled with a great plethora of people.

Last edited by Meowjin; 04-27-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
planning own trips and traveling to the hotspots is just too much work

it's not like japan is like hawaii where a beach and resort is all u need
You're either just lazy or stupid. Planning is one of the best parts of travelling.

Tour Groups, esp Chinese ones, always take you to the shittiest restaurants and then to "factories" where they high-pressure sell you items you can find at a fraction of the cost on the street.

Tour groups will be the end of us all!!! Leave it for C-Lais who don't know any better. If you're able bodied and can read, you don't really have an excuse.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I stayed at sakura's hostel and it was pretty good. ~2900 yen a night.

http://www.hostelworld.com/availabil...sa/Tokyo/15725

The people are pretty tame though, as it is filled with a great plethora of people.
heh, so you took my suggestion.

You're welcome.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Yeah, but still the people there are really tame... but i think its just tokyo in general. For a city that big it's not lively, seems like people want to commit suicide.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
linguistic ninja

I wouldn't say Tokyo is much of a party destination, unless you're a local who knows where to go or a white boy with a bad case of yellow fever.

This post thanked by: