REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What Home Mortgage Rates have you guys been getting?

What rates have you guys been getting to renew your terms for financing your home?

My parents bank offered them 3.8% over 25 years and I'm wondering if there's anything lower then that as my friends uncle got 3% flat for his term, just a few months ago.

Is there anything lower? With the recession and decline in rates, I'm pretty sure there's at least something better then 3.8%.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
My buddies friend does 2.8% all day long, but before he will consider new applicants he requires a fee. an Advanced Fee. but dont worry, it isnt an Advanced Fee Scam.. i swear.

*cough*
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i might be totally whacked out, but i think my parents are paying 1.5% bi-weekly on one of their houses

i dont really pay attention when they talk finances etc.. ill ask
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Talk to a mortgage broker.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 05-01-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Talk to a mortgage broker.
Exactly, they'll get you the lowest rate. I got one of those -0.75 PR open variables a year and a half ago. At 1.50% right now.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #6

My mortgage broker blew my bank out of the water completely. Both in interest rates, and in the amount I could borrow.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard View Post
What rates have you guys been getting to renew your terms for financing your home?

My parents bank offered them 3.8% over 25 years and I'm wondering if there's anything lower then that as my friends uncle got 3% flat for his term, just a few months ago.

Is there anything lower? With the recession and decline in rates, I'm pretty sure there's at least something better then 3.8%.

Thanks in advance!
3.8% over 25 years? i would take that in a heart beat! heck, I'd even buy a house just so that i can use that mortgage!

On a more serious note, your parent probably misunderstood the bank offer. No bank offers a mortgage term for 25 years. Most are 5 years, and they go up to 10 years.
25 years is usually for the amortization of the mortgage. (i.e. most people have a 25 years mortgage that are renew / renegotiated every 5 years)

The rate depends on a few factor like open/close, fixed/variable.
If you go with a variable closed mortgage you should be able to get under 3% based on the current prime rate. (2.25%) But with variable you are taking more risk since the interest rate will change depending on the prime rate which depends on BOC fed rate.

People who got their variable mortgage 1-2 years ago at prime - 1% are probably laughing their ass off now paying only 1% interest. But the prime minus mortgage are long gone.
nowadays, you should be looking at these rates:
Fixed: 3.5% - 3.8% (Btw, 3.8% is the posted rate which is sort of like the MSRP)
Variable: Prime + 0.6% - 0.8% (2.8%-3%)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
My mortgage broker blew my bank out of the water completely. Both in interest rates, and in the amount I could borrow.
Problem is finding one that is trustworthy.
Many of them make it up by adding hidden charges or higher rate after first year..etc
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Having just renewed I got prime +.8 from amortgage broker. So 3% right now on a variable mortgage. fixed are more. Nobody is doing 10 year anymore 5-7 is the max it seems. I would go variable for a year and wait until it goes up .25% then lock in for the fixed rate for 5-7 years.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

1.25% here
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

I'm at 1.75% right now with a 3 year closed variable term.
ToyotaPowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

As of May 1 2009all these are closed rates if you want open variable call me

1 year 2.90
2 year 2.95
3 year 3.05
4 year 3.69
5 year 3.49

*Mod Edit* - No Ads.

Last edited by Gt-R R34; 05-01-2009 at 11:42 PM.
chinesespareribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMx View Post
1.25% here
Nice rate!

I got in about a year ago, just before everything crashed... got the prime minus 75 points, so I'm sitting at 1.5% as well.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

You guys have been getting pretty good rates!

I might have mixed something up haha since I'm not totally sure what this is, as these numbers are ballpark numbers.

Well my parents were planning to take like 20k out from the house. The house has like 60k left, so approx. 6 years until we "officially" own the house. The guy at the bank said they'd have to extend it to 25 years. They're paying 1.4k a month at the moment and if they extend it, it'll be like $500 a month, which is stupid cause they're getting so much interest.

We do, however still have the option to pay more then $500 a month(if we have extra cash that month) but it states 80k(approx) over 25 years @ $500/per month with 3.8% rate. The whole procedure is fine, according to what the bank says but the 3.8% rate is a bit high I think..

I was wondering, would I be able to get a better rate elsewhere? Our 5 year fixed-rate will be ending next year and we have the option to go somewhere else(without penalties)

Also, could anyone recommend a trustable and GOOD mortgage broker?

Thanks guys!
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #15

I should have mine confirmed on monday. 3.51% 5-year fixed.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I got 3.25 for a 15 year open mortgage.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard View Post
You guys have been getting pretty good rates!

I might have mixed something up haha since I'm not totally sure what this is, as these numbers are ballpark numbers.

Well my parents were planning to take like 20k out from the house. The house has like 60k left, so approx. 6 years until we "officially" own the house. The guy at the bank said they'd have to extend it to 25 years. They're paying 1.4k a month at the moment and if they extend it, it'll be like $500 a month, which is stupid cause they're getting so much interest.

We do, however still have the option to pay more then $500 a month(if we have extra cash that month) but it states 80k(approx) over 25 years @ $500/per month with 3.8% rate. The whole procedure is fine, according to what the bank says but the 3.8% rate is a bit high I think..

I was wondering, would I be able to get a better rate elsewhere? Our 5 year fixed-rate will be ending next year and we have the option to go somewhere else(without penalties)

Also, could anyone recommend a trustable and GOOD mortgage broker?

Thanks guys!

so you're going from a 6 year left mortage to a 25 yr mortage?? even at a low rate you're getting screwed for interest.... 19 years of interest is a lot or money..

I'm betting there is better ways.... you might even be better off leaving the mortage and getting a 20k line of credit or something like that.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Ubereem Mod

Hewlett-Packard.

My advice to you, go talk to your banker again/another bank That said, i'm sure you have information mixed up.

No matter how i read that, that isn't how banks work.
Amortizations can be fiddled with, you can have it for a year if you like.
Anyways, go re-read your information.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
I would go variable for a year and wait until it goes up .25% then lock in for the fixed rate for 5-7 years.
That's bad advice.

Best variable is prime + 0.6% right now, or 2.25+0.6 = 2.85%
Best fixed is 3.49%

So for 1 year you'll save 0.64%, then pay 0.25% more for 5 years. I'll do the math for you, that's 1.25% > 0.64%.

Moreso fixed rates follow the bond market, not the BoC prime rate, although they are loosely related. If you've been watching bonds (which you aren't) you'd know rates topped 2% in the US and Canada for the first time in a few months, and have been steadily rising. A year from now prime may still be at 2.25%, yet fixed may be > 4%.

Lock in now, enjoy the ride for 5 years.

Here's a chart of the BoC rates, beware rising rates, cause they go up quickly.
http://www.oursilverlining.ca/_image...2009_graph.gif
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That's bad advice.

Best variable is prime + 0.6% right now, or 2.25+0.6 = 2.85%
Best fixed is 3.49%

So for 1 year you'll save 0.64%, then pay 0.25% more for 5 years. I'll do the math for you, that's 1.25% > 0.64%.

Moreso fixed rates follow the bond market, not the BoC prime rate, although they are loosely related. If you've been watching bonds (which you aren't) you'd know rates topped 2% in the US and Canada for the first time in a few months, and have been steadily rising. A year from now prime may still be at 2.25%, yet fixed may be > 4%.

Lock in now, enjoy the ride for 5 years.

Here's a chart of the BoC rates, beware rising rates, cause they go up quickly.
http://www.oursilverlining.ca/_image...2009_graph.gif
In your opinion if you had one of those prime minus rates would be smarter to wait a bit before locking in?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

I think I am missing big time on how mortgage works in Canada.... it seems to be very different???

Most of the mortgage rates here, at 30 year fixed are around 4 7/8th with 0 point. With 1 point, we could go down probably to around 4 1/4 for a 30yr fixed, mind you, that is the lowest ever in the US mortgage history since they started recording the rates back in the mid 1900s.

You guys have 3%, 4% fixed mortgage for 5 year only?? How much do you pay monthly and how much down??

The way I saw it, the houses werent cheap in Vancouver...

I am paying around $1500 in mortgage and about $400/month on property tax, at 5.75% for 30 yr fixed and I put down about $100,000 USD.

We do have ARM, adjustable rate mortgage, but the ARM rates are also around 4-5% for a 5 year ARM, 7 year and even 9 year ARM

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
I think I am missing big time on how mortgage works in Canada.... it seems to be very different???

You guys have 3%, 4% fixed mortgage for 5 year only?? How much do you pay monthly and how much down??

The way I saw it, the houses werent cheap in Vancouver...
the rates are fixed for 5 years. the mortages are 25-30 years.

so in 5 years, the monthly payments will be adjusted for the current rate at the time. which in 5 years I bet will be back up to 10%. which means everyone buying now at 3% is going to have their mortage payments double 5 years from now, and lose the house because they can barly afford the payments now.

so if you are getting a 4-5% rate fixed for 25 years you guys have likly have it way better in the long term.

avg houses in Van are still close to a million. over a million for a good one. way over price for any avg. family.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
the rates are fixed for 5 years. the mortages are 25-30 years.

so in 5 years, the monthly payments will be adjusted for the current rate at the time. which in 5 years I bet will be back up to 10%. which means everyone buying now at 3% is going to have their mortage payments double 5 years from now, and lose the house because they can barly afford the payments now.

so if you are getting a 4-5% rate fixed for 25 years you guys have likly have it way better in the long term.

avg houses in Van are still close to a million. over a million for a good one. way over price for any avg. family.
so, thats like the ARM here then. ARM is for 20, 25 or 30 years at 3,5,7,9 interval rate change.

So, there is no such thing as "fixed" mortgage in Canada?? hard to believe.

I have 5 3/4 fixed at 30 years and my payment will be the same for 30 years regardlessly. But then again, I wont stay in this house for 30 years.. :P

Thanks for the clearing up.

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

the fixed rates are fixed for 1-7 years (used to get up to 10 I think they lowered it to 7) but 5 is the norm. the variable ones change monthly following prime changes.

right now some people are only paying 1.25 - 1.5% on their variable mortgage. as 2 years ago mortgages were going for prime - .75 or so.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

Oh boy there's some misinformation on this thread. PNF, 4.875% fixed over for an entire 30 year term is sick, sick, sick. I'm rather jealous!

Mortgages with a 25 year term, 25 year amortization, fixed-interest rate are uncommon in Canada, but they're available (http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products...iew_rates.html). AFAIK most common mortgages in Canada are taken out over a 25 yr+ amortization period over a 5 year term.

At the end of the term the mortgage is up for renewal and if renewed, will be at interest rates available at time of renewal.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote