REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Reasonable cleanliness vs hypochondria (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574558-reasonable-cleanliness-vs-hypochondria.html)

El Bastardo 05-04-2009 01:44 AM

Reasonable cleanliness vs hypochondria

After having a discussion with a fellow mod about our mutual need for cleanliness I realized that some of the things that we were discussing may border on OCD or hypochondriac behavior. I'll spare you the details but they involved a mutual disdain for used or library books and why picking up a dusty tin of coffee can ruin the shopping experience.

At what point do you cross the line between being reasonable and ravenous? How sterile is TOO sterile?

fliptuner 05-04-2009 10:09 AM

Some stuff that concerns me:

-restroom door handles
-store door handles
-shopping carts
-gas pumps
-birthday cakes (with candles)
-waiting room magazines/toys
-toys at kids' play centres

I operate and maintain heavy equipment and don't have any problems working in a dusty/muddy environment or getting a bit greasy. It's not uncommon for me to be in searing heat, unbearable cold or soaking wet and yet I rarely get sick. My friends in offices, schools and restaurants get sick all the time. I guess my biggest issue is germs that come from other people - recycled air = so gross to me.

!Yaminashi 05-04-2009 11:17 AM

Shopping carts are big for me. My mom was watching the news once and they did a test for thethe dirtiest places and sure enough, shopping carts were somewhere near the top.

They even found fecal matter on shopping cart handles, (among other things, snot, saliva etc) how gross is that?

This is why its good to have some purell with you at all times

Fafine 05-04-2009 01:38 PM

^ or pull the cart from the front corner lol i dont even use the handles anymore

Gumby 05-05-2009 10:06 AM

I'm concerned with the things on fliptuner's list too. I also make a point of washing my hands (even if it's just water and no soap) after handling library books. Bugs me when my wife reads library books in bed. Ahh as long as she keeps them on her side of the bed! I also don't allow clothes that I've worn to go out on my bed (so only sleeping clothes, or underwear/naked).

I just don't like touching stuff that everybody else touches.

But after having a son, who's a bit over 1 yr old now, I've realized that it's impossible to keep him clean all the time. He touches everything, then goes to grab a cheerio and pop it in his mouth, etc. My feeling is that if he's kept in too sterile of an environment, he might get sick all the time once he interacts with the public regularly.

I guess I subscribe to the phrase "whatever doesn't kill you, just makes you stronger"...

6793026 05-05-2009 12:43 PM

i have someone that won't buy a laptop unless it's brand new in a box from japan shipping to van.
i also knw someone that will NOT wear any clothes from the bathroom then RUNS into their bedroom cause their bedroom clothes does not belong anywhere except being in bed.

wiping clean passports and credit cards and wallets is border line OCD. if you purell everything... it's also a little OCD.
man, when did we ever have an issue when we were kids. i came from a poor family, ghezz, i have a 30 sec rule to everything.

Hondaracer 05-05-2009 03:56 PM

pfft you guys are fuckin nuts

personally i think im healthy enough and have a strong enough immune system that i can expose my self to things and it will only help not hinder due to the fact that im being exposed to them rather then worrying about it

to be truthful i probably wouldn't even be friends with anyone obsessive as you guys because it would piss me off too much lol

hal0g0dv2 05-05-2009 08:07 PM

all you people are going to die early

JordanLee 05-05-2009 09:59 PM

I disinfect all my electronic devices like once every 1-2 months. But never go all out on the purell cause that what leads to bacterial immunity right. How do you think all these new viruses and flu's get immune to our antibiotics. Just dont touch your face after you've touched the carts or handles and wash your hands asap with normal soap and water. I used to be SUPER OCD with germs for like over a year and throughout that year I never got sick. In turn my hands got all dry and nasty. Its just common sense and dont over do it.

El Bastardo 05-05-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 6410978)
to be truthful i probably wouldn't even be friends with anyone obsessive as you guys because it would piss me off too much lol

YOU'RE UNCLEAN! STAY AWAY!

twitchyzero 05-06-2009 12:07 AM

so after i do my business in the public bathroom..1st i'd go for the paper towel. Turn on facet with towel..get soap with towel..wash hands..close facet with towel..get more towel to dry hands..then use all that to open the door...then chuck those towel out. I honestly cringe when the bathroom doesnt have paper towel and there's two doors to open to get to the exit.

I kick/push bathroom stall open...lock them with TP. i NEVER flush at the urinal (unless sensor). Double layer the toilet seat with TP. I use my foot to flush at the toilets. So if you see a little pool in your urinal..there's a chance it's left by me. I dont want to touch the same lever that some guy w/ his genital warts just came in contact with.

Other than bathroom, I'm concerned about bus handles, doctor's office/hospitals and gas pumps. Yet i throw my bag down on the filthy bus floor to make room for other smelly riders.

and condiments (sp) ...especially when the relish is sitting out in the open with the spoon handle sinked into it (a la Costco).

oh yeah, i dont like wearing street clothing on my bed.

AHH IM Germaphobic OCD!

TOPEC 05-06-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6411738)
so after i do my business in the public bathroom..1st i'd go for the paper towel. Turn on facet with towel..get soap with towel..wash hands..close facet with towel..get more towel to dry hands..then use all that to open the door...then chuck those towel out. I honestly cringe when the bathroom doesnt have paper towel and there's two doors to open to get to the exit.

I kick/push bathroom stall open...lock them with TP. i NEVER flush at the urinal (unless sensor). Double layer the toilet seat with TP. I use my foot to flush at the toilets. So if you see a little pool in your urinal..there's a chance it's left by me. I dont want to touch the same lever that some guy w/ his genital warts just came in contact with.

wow, so true abt the washroom part. thats y i rarely rerely RARELY take shits in public washroom, even if i'm having a bad stomach ache, i'll try and hold it in until i can't hold it anymore.

MarkyMark 05-06-2009 11:39 AM

I try not to touch stuff in public washrooms, but other than that I don't really care, I just wash my hands before I eat and that is that.

Hondaracer 05-06-2009 08:32 PM

im gonna find a dirty syringe, wrap it with used bandaids and chase you guys with it

TekDragon 05-06-2009 09:03 PM

Cash. I handle a lot of cash, and I try to wash my hands after every time I handle some. It's filthy.

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-07-2009 03:04 AM

i'm still pretty germ obsessive. but not really. If i really have to i'll get down and dirty. but i prefer not to.

lol... public toilet seats scare me the most.

but yeah, I have the mental mindset of: I don't really get sick so, it's okay, it'll only make me stronger.

haha

if anything I'm more afraid of bugs that bite than dirt, motor oil, and public washrooms.

oh and i think kids are all fucked up these days cuz they're not allowed to get down and dirty in the sandpits anymore lol.

Hondaracer 05-07-2009 12:27 PM

Eating a chicken salad sandwhich at work here, few peices fell out onto my dirty jeans/dusty ground and guess what... I picked em up and ate them!!! 0h n03s!!! Lol

twitchyzero 05-07-2009 03:24 PM

^ you remind of some guy in high school.

his chip fell into the dirt ground..and when no one was looking he quickly picked it up and ate it.

KingDeeCee 05-10-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6413795)
^ you remind of some guy in high school.

his chip fell into the dirt ground..and when no one was looking he quickly picked it up and ate it.

Hey man, don't waste your food, 5 second rule. I really don't give a fuck about stuff being clean unless i can actually see some residue/buildup of some crap on it. It's not like I'm going to eat anything afterward. And if I do, I wash my hands....usually, before I eat.

penner2k 05-14-2009 01:51 AM

Honestly.. How many guys actually wash their hands after pissing in a urinal?

I dont. I figure I wash my cock with soap and water every day. I also change my boxers everyday. My dick is cleaner than the faucet I would have to touch to wash my hands.

Supafly 05-14-2009 06:00 AM

as penner2k stated....

i wash before i grab....my balls are cleaner than my hands.

Hondaracer 05-14-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6422840)
Honestly.. How many guys actually wash their hands after pissing in a urinal?

I dont. I figure I wash my cock with soap and water every day. I also change my boxers everyday. My dick is cleaner than the faucet I would have to touch to wash my hands.

good point