REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Naslund Retires (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574602-naslund-retires.html)

SizzleChest 05-04-2009 03:11 PM

Naslund Retires

Markus Naslund, voted the most outstanding player in the National Hockey League by his peers in 2003, retired Monday after 15 memorable seasons.

The New York Rangers right-winger, who extended his streak of 20-goal seasons to 10 this year, leaves with one year and $3 million US remaining on his contract.

"I would like to sincerely thank [general manager] Glen Sather and the New York Rangers for giving me the opportunity this past season," said Naslund in statement released by the team.

"I would also like to thank the Vancouver Canucks and all of their fans for their support over the 11-plus seasons I was part of their organization, as well as to the Pittsburgh Penguins where I began my NHL career."

Naslund scored one goal and three points in a first-round series loss to Washington in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs to give him 14 goals and 36 points in 52 career post-season games.

The 35-year-old Swede had his best years in a Canucks uniform after joining the team in 1995-96 in a trade that sent fellow forward Alek Stojanov to Pittsburgh.

Naslund reached the 40-goal mark three times in his career and surpassed the 30-goal mark six times, while recording 11 hat tricks. He notched his 800th point on Dec. 27 versus Chicago and on Jan. 17 in Detroit skated in his 1,000th contest.

Naslund was named Canucks captain in 2000-01 and two years later set career-highs in goals (48), assists (56), and points (104) en route to winning the Lester B. Pearson Award as most outstanding player by his NHL brethren. He was also runner-up for the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP.

Naslund's production steadily declined after that season, however, and the 2008-09 campaign was no different, as he put up only 46 points.

Naslund represented Sweden at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, picking up two goals and three points in four games. He also competed at the 1996 and 2004 World Cup of Hockey and four world championships (1993, 1996, 1999 and 2002).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...etirement.html

mickz 05-04-2009 03:33 PM

Vancouver fans treated him like a hero one day and ran him out of town the next. He's the longest serving captain and all time points leader. #19 deserves to be retired... right after Bure's #10 goes up.

silvercivicdx 05-04-2009 04:24 PM

SO?

FS1992EG 05-04-2009 04:32 PM

yeah. they should retire his number already

RayBot 05-04-2009 04:48 PM

Good for him..... :)

RayBot 05-04-2009 04:49 PM

On a sidenote.....does anybody ever know what happened to Alek Stojanov?? :P

SizzleChest 05-04-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6409580)
On a sidenote.....does anybody ever know what happened to Alek Stojanov?? :P

some interesting info on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alek_Stojanov

He finished his NHL career with totals of 2 goals and 5 assists for 7 points in 107 NHL games, along with 222 penalty minutes.

Stevie P 05-04-2009 07:40 PM

Would have been nice to see him retire in a Canucks uniform. Retire 19, after 10.

Timewav3zer0 05-04-2009 08:47 PM

they should retire his number...he does lead the team in points goals and is 3rd in most games played by a canuck...but i agree that bure should get retired first...wouldve been an amazing problem if he didnt have those knee problems

RayBot 05-04-2009 08:52 PM

Thats always been the discussion....should they retire Bure's number??

Probably the most skilled canuck ever, and the most skilled of his generation....

...but the way he departed from the Canucks was disgraceful.

Just wondering if the organization will look beyond something like, or if thats a grudge they will hold to keep face.

I know the Montreal Canadiens looked beyond Roy's attitude, and retired his number....but i think Patrick Roy is in a different league then Bure when it comes to a 'full career acheivement.'

RiceIntegraRS 05-04-2009 09:36 PM

id be surprised if they dont retire Naslunds #. 10 straight seasons with 20+ goals still pretty impressive.

SkinnyPupp 05-04-2009 11:10 PM

Naslund and Bertuzzi were nothing once the league cracked down on Bertuzzi's method of knocking defensemen down in front of the net before Naslund goes in for a shot. They had a good couple years, but Naslund only holds so many club records because the Canucks have only had two other really good players in their entire history.

Hell, even Dan Fucking Cloutier still holds the GAA record!

Gumby 05-05-2009 10:14 AM

I'm 100% in favour of retiring Naslund's number, but on the fence for Bure...

ScizzMoney 05-05-2009 10:31 AM

Naslund's 19 should be retired for sure in my opinion. Bure didn't have the longevity to have his retired. Only 5 full seasons pretty well for Bure. Don't get me wrong, I think Bure is the most talented player other than Messier to put on a Canuck Jersey (I hate Messier, but you can't deny what he did with the Oilers and Rangers). If Bure stayed in Vancouver longer he would be a no-brainer for having his jersey retired.

MR_BIGGS 05-05-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6410126)
Naslund and Bertuzzi were nothing once the league cracked down on Bertuzzi's method of knocking defensemen down in front of the net before Naslund goes in for a shot. They had a good couple years, but Naslund only holds so many club records because the Canucks have only had two other really good players in their entire history.

Hell, even Dan Fucking Cloutier still holds the GAA record!

I think it says more about the club that Dan Cloutier held a team record than it does for the players themselves...

As for Naslund being "nothing" once the league cracked down on Bertuzzi's knocking down Dmen...are u kidding urself??

You can't deny Naslund's skill and knack for goal scoring...he had 11 20+ goal seasons...his jersey should be retired

If Adam Graves and Glen Wesley have their jerseys retired...then Naslund should have his.

Noir 05-05-2009 11:02 AM

I'd vote for having Naslund's jersey retired. After the Bure debacle, the organization should correct their previous mistakes of giving respect where respect was due.

It was the primary reason why Bure hated the Canucks org. I mean pulling a bait and switch on your contract and smear campaign to force you to sign. That's just low. I'd hate any employer who'd pull that off to me as well.

Like it or not, the guy gave up his best years as a Canuck and invested over a decade here. Time to recognize it all.

the_rickster 05-05-2009 07:01 PM

hey, the bright side of that 91 draft was that at least the canucks didnt make the single worst pick.

anyone remember pat falloon?

SizzleChest 05-05-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_rickster (Post 6411302)
hey, the bright side of that 91 draft was that at least the canucks didnt make the single worst pick.

anyone remember pat falloon?

yep. i was stoked when i got his rookie card.:D

RayBot 05-05-2009 09:43 PM

I also remember Bryant Reeves.....theres a good way to kick off Vancouver's inaugural NBA franchise......draft an overweight white guy and sign him for millions.

I think at the end of Pat Falloon's career, he was playing on the same line as Alexandre Daigle on the Phillie Flyers.....if anyone remembers HIM!

Pat: Uhmmm....didn't you get drafted first overall?
Alex: Yeah....didn't you??
Pat: Second...but close enough. So.......why does this line suck?
Alex: I guess this is what they mean when they say epic fail.

SkinnyPupp 05-05-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzleChest (Post 6411328)
yep. i was stoked when i got his rookie card.:D

:lol me too!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 6410582)
I think it says more about the club that Dan Cloutier held a team record than it does for the players themselves...

As for Naslund being "nothing" once the league cracked down on Bertuzzi's knocking down Dmen...are u kidding urself??

You can't deny Naslund's skill and knack for goal scoring...he had 11 20+ goal seasons...his jersey should be retired

If Adam Graves and Glen Wesley have their jerseys retired...then Naslund should have his.

Yeah what did he do in the playoffs? :thumbsup:

billboa 05-08-2009 09:37 AM

naslund is a pimp. he will be loved forever.

skiiipi 05-10-2009 09:04 PM

i think we should retire his jeresey
he has been with us for a long time, and its the respect that he deserves