REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Regrets of not staying in shape (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574633-regrets-not-staying-shape.html)

SpoonFit 05-04-2009 07:48 PM

Regrets of not staying in shape

So eversince I was young all the way up to the end of highschool I was always an active teen. My life revolved around basketball, I wake up go to practice, school, practice and afterschool I would go to the courts and play some more. By the middle of grade 12 I quit playing basketball because I got injured.

And ever since than I guess I gave it up and sorta became a stoner and stoped being active.

Well here I am a few years after and today I decided to start playing again, I ran about 1 block uphill and I was huffing and puffing.. got to the courts, shot around for about 15 mins and I felt like I was going to collaspe.

I guess I just had this HUGE realization of how I fucked up and how important it is to be active.

Wondering if anyone lately figured this out, and are you guys actually keeping up with staying in shape? Because I know a lot of people who are NOT aware that they are actually in bad shape dispite them being thin.

If I didn't have VTEC and had to run away from the cops, I don't think I can do it =(

pawdregry4g 05-05-2009 01:08 AM

Chubbed up from grade 5-10, realized life needed to change in grade 11 and switched to an active lifestyle . It's been 3 years since then and still going strong.

Harvey Specter 05-05-2009 02:50 AM

When I graduated I was pretty fit, weighed around 160ish and for my height (6'1/2) it was a good weight because I was toned. From 19 to about 25 I got lazy because of school and work, gained 60lbs over 6 years. It wasn't until I went to my family doctor to get my blood pressure checked 3 years ago that I realized how close I was to having serious health issues like a heart attack by the age of 30. It was actually my doctor who warned me and was ready to put me on high blood pressure pills so I started working out again.

I'm 28 now and to be honest with you it was very tough in the beginning to get into a routine plus I didn't take any weight lose stuff so the weight wasn't coming off as I expected but over the last 3 years I’ve dropped my weight to 165. Most of my weight lose is due to the fact I run every single day, never miss a day unless I travel or something. I do moderate weights, changed my diet like cutting out all junk food and all alcohol and quite honestly I can't be any happier with my current lifestyle compared to my unhealthy lifestyle. It's never too late to make changes and get on the path of a healthly lifestyle and it really becomes more important as you get older.

hotjoint 05-05-2009 06:47 AM

I was sort of like the OP, non stop sports all through highschool. Then started to stop slowly as friends had gf's and jobs. I still played once at week at most but that does nothing. Its been about 1 year and i've been playing ball monday, weds, and thurs. Leg legs killed at the start and I could barely run cuz I would be out of breath but everything is all good now, u just need to get into a routine and you'll be fine

6793026 05-05-2009 12:51 PM

i was 120, 5'5 then i started working out and i'm at 155. i'm 27.
i gained 10 pounds in HK from all the eating.
i ran 4 days a week for 20 min in a circular track and i lost it in a month.

i eat 6 meals a day but i'm never full. I am nto perfect, i love chocolate and candy but i try my best to cut out POP.

flameboy54 05-06-2009 08:24 AM

I was fairly active thru high school. Started paddling dragon boat after I graduated and that lasted a few years until I got back into school, more or less took 2 years off to focus on school and noticed that belly was getting that layer of fat...and bigger. Decided to take up rock climibing since I wanted to forever but didn't want to for out the $$$ for the gear and membership. Climbed for a year, 2-3-4 times a week, maybe trimmed about 1-1.5in off my waist. Started to hit the pool a few months ago, once a week. Climbing pass expired and went away for 4 weeks recently. Came back and having the hardest time getting active again. Finally started going back to the pool. Gonna hold off from the climbing membership til maybe after summer and focus on climb outdoors. Been wanting to start yoga also.

racerman88 05-10-2009 08:50 AM

never too late to get back into it. Just start off moderate and work your way back in.

JSALES 05-10-2009 02:49 PM

Samething happened to me, i used to be in basketball, track and football and then some bad habits started kicking in like smoking. Around my senior year, i remember i joined some sports again and i was so slow compared to the other athletes and i'd get exhausted so fast and could even hear my breathe weezing. It's only now that i started trying to be more active and working out whenever i have the time

ctsport 05-10-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6417199)
never too late to get back into it. Just start off moderate and work your way back in.

exactly, there's no excuse to be a fat-ass, it's so easy to get into decent shape :D [speaking from experience; i got fat, didn't like it and loss 30 lbs in 3 months]

c32 05-11-2009 02:04 PM

do you smoke ciggerettes too or only weed??? and how long have you stopped playin sports for a year? this is happening to me.. i dam i need exercise.. this thread realy makes me think dam i needa quit smokin

Jer3 05-11-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6417199)

agreed. just get yourself into a routine and stick to it. i think if you can pass the 2 week mark strong, you'll be able to go on for a long time.

RayBot 05-12-2009 08:21 PM

Was a fat kid all through out school and grad.

Then got really active in hockey about 10 years back. Did training camps, and shit like that. Then after i broke a leg during a session, and it was hard for me to get back in the same shape.

Also to add to that, 7 years ago i met a girl that i got serious with and our favourite past time was....dining out. Not to mention that her mom cooked the most unhealthiest foods.

It was only November when i went to Hong Kong with my wife now that i realized that i needed to get back in shape. To her relatives, i was the big guy that needed to be fed to be entertained.

When i came back, i used fitness as my new years resolution. I was 244 when i came back from HK in Nov, and 206lbs now. Feel like i am in better shape than i was when i was 20.

I'm turning 31 in a couple months....so theres no such thing as too late to get back into it.

LemonH2O 05-28-2009 12:20 AM

It's not hard to make excuses to be out of shape. It starts from "I'll go to the gym tomorrow, I'm too tired today." Next thing you know, it's 2 years later + 20lbs heavier.

It's so much easier to stay in shape in high school, you have sports teams to join and PE to be in.

Start with small changes, don't have high expectations, set realistic goals to avoid disappointment.
If you think about reaching for a bag of chips, reach for an apple instead, a banana. Think twice about what you're putting in your body.

Balance your lifestyle

Don't want to go to the gym? Do something else, just get off the couch, that's the important step.

Marioo1991 05-29-2009 09:51 AM

It's all about lifestyle. Incorporate more activities into your daily routine. PrincessPeiPei is right, it's best to start with small changes.

After high school i worked at a restaurant at night and would blaze almost every night. 50 pounds in 6 months. After having and injury and was off work for 6 months, i managed to lose 60 pounds. The changes in my weight definitely had a lot to do with my lifestyle...

RayBot 05-29-2009 10:20 AM

I got a friend with gout...and what motivated him to get in shape made big-time sense.

All your friends can tell you to get in shape in direct or subtle ways and you don't have to listen. But if your doctor was telling you to get in shape...i'd listen.