REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   MAJOR HELP... Interesting situation regarding Suspensions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574648-major-help-interesting-situation-regarding-suspensions.html)

danny87 05-04-2009 09:01 PM

MAJOR HELP... Interesting situation regarding Suspensions

This is my current driving record with an "N":

Oct. 23 2006: speeding (3pts), no N (0pts)
Dec. 18 2006: speeding (3pts), no N (0pts)
Apr. 24 2007: 24hr suspension
Feb. 20 2009: 12hr suspension

Also under the section "correspondence" i have something that says:

GLP Probation Nov 29 2006

* my drivers licence expires in Dec 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, now that you know my driving status; I was wondering if you guys can help me with the current situation i'm in right now. So, on feb 20 (when i got my 12hr suspension) i also got a ticket for "driving contrary to restrictions"... However, decided to dispute that. So, as i'm waiting for the court date, I got "the notice of prohibition (for 4months). So NOW i have a couple of questions on what to do next:

1) should i surrender my licence asap, serve the 4 months, and so i can get it back in Sept. I don't know if i should do this because SINCE my licence expires in dec 09, that means 4 months after i get my N back (paying 100$), I would have to pay another 200$ to re-new my licence.... all in all being 300$! Also i don't know if i should do this because i don't want to serve the 4 months no driving and then IF i become guilty on my court case to SERVE SOME more time.

2) I can just change my mind and pay the ticket before serving my 4 months due to the 12hr suspension and see what happens.... like will they just change the period and make it longer since i know plead guilty of the ticket?

3) Just serve the 4 months of no driving and just see what happens on the court date, hoping i wont get suspended again or the officer not showing up. Because it says on my driving the "probation period on nov 29 2006" wouldn't the probation period be over by now (being done on nov 29 2008)? wouldn't that make me safe? cuz i would only have 3pts since Nov. 2008.

I'm really lost right now, and i have NO idea what to do.... any advice will do.

RiceIntegraRS 05-04-2009 09:32 PM

ur basically screwed, if i was u try #2 and try to get the prohibition period to be alil longer by writing a letter. Ask to be prohibited for 6months that way u can just be prohibited from driving just once.

#3 ur basically rolling the dice, if ur found guilty in court then ur basically gonna be prohibited for another 6 months = total 10months of no driving.

I do find it alil dumb that ur potentially gonna get prohibited from driving twice for basically one ticket. But lesson to everyone with an N, if u get a 12hr or 24hr and recieving a ticket with that 12/24hr u shouldnt dispute it at all.

danny87 05-04-2009 09:59 PM

would i automatically be suspended if i was found guilty after the court case? Do i have to write the letter... or can i just pay the ticket 2morrow and just serve the 4 months and just see what happens (to be honest i'm not a big fan of writing a letter) How much longer would they make the period if i were NOT to write the letter.... do u think it would STILL be better to do that rather than option #3?.....The thing is that if i do pay the ticket rite now, the superintendent would know that ticket (contrary to restrictions) is related to the 12hr suspension.... whereas, if the court case was in like 8 months (1yr past the incident) it would seem less obvious that the 12 suspension was on the same day as the ticket. Like the superintendent wouldn't know that the "contrary to restrictions ticket" is alcohol related (12hr suspension) Like... can't i just say that I had an extra passenger? The only way the superintendent would know that the ticket and the 12hr suspension are related is through my driving record.... like theres no way he can tell that i've ever had the 12hr suspension at the same time when i got the ticket. I don't know... i'm totally making this up as i go, but can either of these possibly work?

Any other ideas people have on what I can do.... any help will do. (thanks RiceIntegraRS)

CRS 05-04-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny87 (Post 6409999)
would i automatically be suspended if i was found guilty after the court case? Do i have to write the letter... or can i just pay the ticket 2morrow and just serve the 4 months and just see what happens (to be honest i'm not a big fan of writing a letter) How much longer would they make the period if i were NOT to write the letter.... do u think it would STILL be better to do that rather than option #3?.....The thing is that if i do pay the ticket rite now, the superintendent would know that ticket (contrary to restrictions) is related to the 12hr suspension.... whereas, if the court case was in like 8 months (1yr past the incident) it would seem less obvious that the 12 suspension was on the same day as the ticket. Like the superintendent wouldn't know that the "contrary to restrictions ticket" is alcohol related (12hr suspension) Like... can't i just say that I had an extra passenger? The only way the superintendent would know that the ticket and the 12hr suspension are related is through my driving record.... like theres no way he can tell that i've ever had the 12hr suspension at the same time when i got the ticket. I don't know... i'm totally making this up as i go, but can either of these possibly work?

Any other ideas people have on what I can do.... any help will do. (thanks RiceIntegraRS)

Yes, lying to the superintendent about it is a great idea.

I say just man up and don't drive for a while. It seems like from this post (and your last few in the police forum), you could use a break from driving. It will give you some time to think things over like your judgement calls on driving, how important driving is to you and why you should play by their rules or pay the consequences.

I know this isn't probably something you want to hear but I honestly believe it is the best decision to make. You have a lot of violations for someone still on their Class 7N. Just sit it out for a while and reflect. After coming to terms with everything, I think you will be a better driver. But trying to avoid responsibility (not saying you are trying to do this) won't help.

jlenko 05-04-2009 10:36 PM

Egad..

Are both the 12 and 24 hour suspensions for drinking and driving? If they are... (I can't think of anything else that gets those suspensions...), then GET and STAY the HELL off the roads!! You'd think after the first time getting caught you'd smarten up, but NOOO....

Seriously... What the hell is WRONG with you kids nowadays???

Damn, I'm seriously impressed with the GLP program right now... finally doing it's job! Keeping someone off the roads who shouldn't be there in the first place...

danny87 05-04-2009 11:10 PM

so.... what you mean by "man-ing up and don't drive for a while" is just pay the ticket and see what happens from there and hope they are just gonna tack on 2 months (onto the original 4 months)? OR is it better to serve the 4 months and if i plead guilty after the court case, serve the prohibition after that i'm charged with... From what your saying CRS I get the sense that the overall prohibition time is most likely gonna be shorter if i just pay the ticket, rather than serve the prohibition period after IF i'm guilty after the court case.

CRS 05-04-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny87 (Post 6410125)
so.... what you mean by "man-ing up and don't drive for a while" is just pay the ticket and see what happens from there and hope they are just gonna tack on 2 months (onto the original 4 months)? OR is it better to serve the 4 months and if i plead guilty after the court case, serve the prohibition after that i'm charged with... From what your saying CRS I get the sense that the overall prohibition time is most likely gonna be shorter if i just pay the ticket, rather than serve the prohibition period after IF i'm guilty after the court case.

Surrender your license as soon as possible. Ask for it not to be returned until said date and pay your fines. The superintendent will most likely prohibit you for a while and you must be compliant with this. Serve what he asks and then after serving it, you would've learned a lot. I mentioned it in my previous post. Being away from driving should help you realize how important it is to you and how it is a privilege and that you should play by the rules. (Reflection time!)

If you think the superintendent's prohibition period is too long, then you could write saying you did surrender your license asap and that you did not drive pending the hearing from him. This may help him lower it slightly. But then again, I would accept anything from 6-8 months. Anything exceeding 1 year would be probably a little excessive.

zulutango 05-05-2009 07:11 AM

4 tickets and 2 impaired driving suspensions while still Class 7. Not a great way to impress the SMV. Time you took a look at the reality you have created for yourself. Time in the right seat of the car instead of behind the wheel will be good for US and also a time for some self-reflection. Sorry that it took this much to get your attention. At least now you can start repairing the self-inflicted injury.

wing_woo 05-05-2009 08:47 AM

Zulu, with all the RHD cars in Vancouver nowadays, you better be careful when you state "in the right seat of the car"...haha.

6793026 05-05-2009 09:32 AM

no need to post anymore man.
pay the file, surrender the license. just dont' drive at all.

you really need to learn and behalf within the rules.

i mean you might think it's a pain, but in the long run, in any company, if you ever need to give out a transcript of your driving record, you're screwed. do it as soon as possible.

then again, u might be a drug dealer and a pimp ... u might not even care.

zulutango 05-05-2009 09:51 AM

As a former owner (15 years) of a RHD car, I know what you mean. Please substitute the words "front passenger seat" for right hand seat. Your experience may differ.

skidmark 05-05-2009 11:50 AM

You don't have any choice in the driver's license surrender. In fact, if you don't surrender it, you commit a further offence.

danny87 05-05-2009 07:52 PM

So i'm planning on going to ICBC 2morrow and paying the ticket. What happens next since Im already serving the 4 month prohibition period?

1) Like do I get another letter stating that i have another 4 month prohibition period after i serve the one i'm in
OR
2)would i get a letter that would state a longer prohibition period taking into account the one i'm serving rite now (so basically i can disregard the first letter i got from the superintendent (the 4 month prohibition period))
OR
3) is there a slight chance that he mite not even change the 4 month prohibition period i'm serving rite now? (just throwing it out there)

CRS 05-05-2009 07:56 PM

No one can guess what the super will do. All you know need to know is that you're going to be in a time out zone for a while. Hopefully you're going to reflect during that time and figure some things out for yourself like how and more importantly why you got yourself in that situation.

danny87 05-05-2009 08:37 PM

OK... so i call ICBC, and i got some Lucky/good news. The lady told me that "the Superintendent had cancelled my ticket" (that i was gonna dispute). And that "the ticket would not show on my record." Did i catch a break guys... should i be thanking the lord...

c32 05-07-2009 01:33 PM

maybe you should STOP SPEEDING