REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #51
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i said i wouldn't watch it, but i got suckered into watching it and it was pretty good.
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #52
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This movie was like Star Wars with Star Trek characters.
um...not really.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This movie was like Star Wars with Star Trek characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
um...not really.
Exactly.

This is a very geek thing to say....but i am gonna say it anyways.

Star Trek and Star Wars, (i guess by coincidence) is in fact the same conflict we've seen for centuries....which is Science vs. Religion.

And its easy to sum up....Star Trek is to Science as Star Wars is to Religion. Both of them complete far fetched fantasies which support science/religion is the most powerful knowledge in the universe.

And for those who know their history, whoever read 'Angels and Demons,' or just watch cable television.....knows that Science and Religion have never ever got along.

This is the reason why a Star Trek follower will always be a 'Trekkie,' and a Star Wars follower will always be a 'Jedi Nerd.'

Its a present-day version for virgins about the whole Science vs. Religion discussion.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #54
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

But I like Star Wars and Star Trek haha
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
But I like Star Wars and Star Trek haha
Hey....if you ever went to a catholic school like i did, they do teach science too!!

But if you do bad in that class...the priest holds you after school to have a 'Special Baptism.'

From what i recall from my own baptismal pictures, people wore pants during baptism....
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #56
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The sequel needs to happen NOAAA!! or JT Kirk in me NOAAA!!
sexyflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #57
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
bitch is fine as a muhfucka
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #58
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyflanders View Post
The sequel needs to happen NOAAA!! or JT Kirk in me NOAAA!!
You meant, 'NAO,' no?

I still laugh at the fact that Winona Ryder is Spock's mum.

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #59
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
You meant, 'NAO,' no?

I still laugh at the fact that Winona Ryder is Spock's mum.
LOL oops! I'm still quite new to the internetspeak ><
sexyflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyflanders View Post
LOL oops! I'm still quite new to the internetspeak ><
You have much to learn, young one.

I, on the other hand, might just be hitting up Burger King for some Star Trek glasses and Kids' Meal toys. Huzzah.

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Watch out for the Kingons!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #62
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
I, on the other hand, might just be hitting up Burger King for some Star Trek glasses and Kids' Meal toys. Huzzah.
I already got the Enterprise, Kelvin, shuttle, and younger Spock. It made me realize just how rare Burger King has gotten in the Vancouver area. The one on North Road between Burnaby and Coquitlam is gone, the one downtown on Granville is gone, and now the one on Main St. near Science World is gone.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I already got the Enterprise, Kelvin, shuttle, and younger Spock. It made me realize just how rare Burger King has gotten in the Vancouver area. The one on North Road between Burnaby and Coquitlam is gone, the one downtown on Granville is gone, and now the one on Main St. near Science World is gone.
You are frakking kidding me!!!! Where did they go?!

RS Feedback (46-0-0)
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #64

Quote:
You are frakking kidding me!!!! Where did they go?!
No idea, but i don't see the sign there anymore where the Main St/Science World location used to be. I guess they folded due to the attraction of the McDonald's close by. I believe the only Burger Kings remaining are Hastings near the PNE, Metrotown foodcourt (last Saturday told me they didn't have toys), Surrey near Central City on King George Hwy, and a few others in Surrey, Richmond, and Langley I think.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #65
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
I just got home from watching this movie. Holy crap. I had a smile on my face the entire way through. Good shit.

And Simon Pegg is awesome.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #66

EDIT: I wanna Saldana.

RS Feedback (46-0-0)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #67

FYI I drove down Main St. and the Burger King is still there. The sign is obscured from several new buildings near it so its only visible when you get close.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #68
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I don't watch the Star Trek series, but this movie is highly recommended. It's a good movie. I can't wait till the second one comes out!
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #69
SardaukarMod

mmmm.... rachel nichols is coming up as scarlett in gi joe. from green skinned to leather tights. her and sienna miller as the baroness should be good.

back on topic, good movie. lots of what seemed like non-stop action. too bad mccoy didn't get a bigger role in the movie. nor did scotty.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #70
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Apart from the random episode of TNG and DS9 I used to catch on TV while waiting for something better to come on, I've never really watched Star Trek. Well, apart from some of the movies. Anyway, caught this movie this weekend and was absolutely blown away. I'd heard great reviews from both professionals and friends, so I went in expecting great things; luckily, my expectations were fully met. I'm sure if I were an actual Trekkie and followed everything closely I'd have some negative things to say, but since I'm not... I don't care! However, it seemed to explain the alternative timeline pretty well.

I am tempted to go see it again.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #71
SardaukarMod

i used to watch DS9 religiously. only because there was tons more fighting in it due to the jem'hadar war. more interesting than all the exploring and diplomacy nonsense in TNG or the forever-lost Voyager.

Anyway, yeah, the fanboys were pretty upset at some of the changes to the canon. i didn't mind it since i feel this movie is like a rebooting of the series.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #72
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Anyway, yeah, the fanboys were pretty upset at some of the changes to the canon. i didn't mind it since i feel this movie is like a rebooting of the series.
See, I'm a trekkie (as opposed to Trekker; "Trekker" = ghey) from waaaaay back, and I loved the movie. Canon? Fuck canon. Trek canon has been blown out of the water so many times over the course of 40 years, it's not even funny. It's more shotgun than can(n)on (haw haw, get it?).

The movie was brilliant, especially in that it didn't pretend to to even try to follow canon, yet it gave a nod to it and addressed the very issue of not being able to follow it, pretty much all in one scene. They didn't spend half an hour spewing Treknobabble trying to explain it, they just covered it (without saying outright that they were trying to cover it), and moved on with the story.

That, to me, is genius. Everything in the story that COULD follow the original, did so faithfully. Anything that COULDN'T, they didn't even try... they just told the story. The characters and casting were all spot-on; the actors all paid faithful tribute to the original characters, without trying to copy the original actors.

Frankly, I think everyone involved with making this movie knew exactly how to handle it, and handled it all admirably. It must have been a joy for Nimoy to be a part of it as well.

One thing that had me worried leading up to it, based on the trailers, was the idea that all of the "classic" crew of the Enterprise all knew each other "from the beginning", as this is something that seems to happen a lot in these sort of stories... but they even handled that fairly well, and it didn't bother me at all. About the only thing that seemed a little off was how Scotty got added to the crew, but that was made up for by the "beagle" reference (if you haven't seen it yet, watch for that... it's hilarious).

From a life-long (nearly) Trek fan's perspective, I hereby declare this movie damn near perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 05-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
See, I'm a trekkie (as opposed to Trekker; "Trekker" = ghey) from waaaaay back, and I loved the movie. Canon? Fuck canon. Trek canon has been blown out of the water so many times over the course of 40 years, it's not even funny. It's more shotgun than can(n)on (haw haw, get it?).

The movie was brilliant, especially in that it didn't pretend to to even try to follow canon, yet it gave a nod to it and addressed the very issue of not being able to follow it, pretty much all in one scene. They didn't spend half an hour spewing Treknobabble trying to explain it, they just covered it (without saying outright that they were trying to cover it), and moved on with the story.

That, to me, is genius. Everything in the story that COULD follow the original, did so faithfully. Anything that COULDN'T, they didn't even try... they just told the story. The characters and casting were all spot-on; the actors all paid faithful tribute to the original characters, without trying to copy the original actors.

Frankly, I think everyone involved with making this movie knew exactly how to handle it, and handled it all admirably. It must have been a joy for Nimoy to be a part of it as well.

One thing that had me worried leading up to it, based on the trailers, was the idea that all of the "classic" crew of the Enterprise all knew each other "from the beginning", as this is something that seems to happen a lot in these sort of stories... but they even handled that fairly well, and it didn't bother me at all. About the only thing that seemed a little off was how Scotty got added to the crew, but that was made up for by the "beagle" reference (if you haven't seen it yet, watch for that... it's hilarious).

From a life-long (nearly) Trek fan's perspective, I hereby declare this movie damn near perfect.
You, sir, hit it right on the money and got it all down in an awesome post of great awesomeness. Thanks for that!

RS Feedback (46-0-0)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #74
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Well I can finally post here cuz I finally saw the movie last night. I avoided thread to avoid spoilers.

I don't think your going to find a bigger fan of Star Trek on RS than myself (I have Star Trek Tattoo's and have been in an episode as a Klingon) and my verdict is 2 Vulcan hand signs up.

The story was fantastic in that you don't have to be a Trek fan to even like the movie. They paid the original its fair share of tributes with awesome one liners at the perfect times. Cast was excellent my only gripe is Chekov (the actor's accent was fucking terrible) but other than that everyone was perfect. All in all the movie was way better than I expected it to be and I will be seeing it again in theaters this week lol.

Anyone else think the Romulans didn't really look all that Romulan? What was with the face tattoo's. There is a fairly solid look of Trek past that they should have followed. It would be like changing the look of Klingons now.

Berz out.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #75

Anton Yelchin as Chekov = Young pre-pubescent Borat