REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quality issues and problems showing up on the 2010 Camaro's

Quote:
A Planet LSX forum member's posted a report with photos of the new Chevy Camaro with a crack on the front fascia's big upper brow reportedly attributed to a high-speed run. UPDATE BELOW.

The cracks, which appear on both sides of the big upper brow of the nose of the new Camaro, were attributed to a high speed run — 155 MPH — earlier in the week. Here's the full report:

While I was doing the photo shoot on a 2010 Camaro SS this past Friday, we noticed some cracks forming at the upper corners of the grille. The tech that was assisting us during the shoot said that those happened during a top speed run earlier that week. The car achieved 155 mph, and apparently it lifted the upper part of the nose enough to form the cracks. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed, or even mentioned before. Surely it can be something that GM can fix by adding more bracing perhaps, or a thicker nose molding. This 2010 SS was a production car, only a week old, so this concerns me.
It might not be a good idea to do any high-speed runs in your new Camaro, at least until we understand the problem and how to fix it first.

Nevermind the high speed runs, maybe it'd also be a good idea to make sure you don't encounter any stiff winds. Match this nose-cone issue up with the slapped-on brake weights issue and Camaro crap-out we reported last week and you've got yourself a couple of cracks in the otherwise perfect fan-boy fascia of the Camaro

Quote:
Maybe worse than the first Camaro wreck is the first Chevy Camaro breakdown. This "p**sy magnet" Bumblebee-yellow Camaro lost all electrical power and coasted to a stop with a scant 40 miles on the odometer.

The ecstatic new owner, a forum fan-girl by the name of BUMLB, was crushed when the car conked-out cruising through a parking lot at a leisurely 5 MPH, completely losing all electrical power, locking the gear selector and the key in the ignition. A flatbed towed the disabled car to a dealer where diagnosis found the cable running from the trunk mounted battery had frayed on the starter motor and grounded out, causing complete loss of power. A new cable running a different route will be installed at the dealer. Hopefully this isn't something we'll be seeing more of on other cars.

Quote:
Forumites at Camaro5 have been collectively scratching their heads for a couple days, wondering why there appear to be two layers of lead wheel weights stuck onto their brake calipers. It's a mystery Charlie Brown!

The confusion started when a poster uploaded an image of his new Camaro's Brembo calipers, on which were riding two rows of lead weights, normally affixed to the inside of a wheel rim to balance the tire. This led everyone with a Camaro to run outside to see it their mullet machine's also had the weights, which they do, at least on among the folks on the forum. GM has not answered to the confusion yet, but the leading theory is they were place on the caliper as a quick and dirty fix to alleviate brake squeal. From a physics perspective, this explanation is plausible, as resonant frequency is in large part determined by mass, and by changing the vibrating mass of the caliper with the weights, a troublesome squeal would be eliminated for a particular driving condition.

The trouble is if they're using normal brake weights, the heat cycling of the caliper will eventually cause the adhesive to fail and, if things get too serious on the track, the lead could actually melt. Though it's an odd issue and not really a big deal, we'll be keeping you in on the loop during Camaro brake-gate, though we recommend Camaro owners visit their local dealer and have their muffler bearings, blinker fluid, and piston-return springs checked out, just in case. Click here for the high-resolution image. Thanks for the tip Ethan! [Camaro5]

Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
engineering problem or idiots in the factory?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
straight from the fields of squamton

It's a moot point.

There's a V6 Genesis that should have been bought in every case of a new camaro owners downfall.

seriosuly though. who would buy the new camaro other than proud americans afriad of buying a hyundai. It's proved to be a better car in 100% of the tests and comparisons, even resale value, and it's hyundai.

there's no reason to buy a new camaro, meaning there's no reason to feel bad for owners who fucked up and didn't go with Korea
Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
It's a moot point.

There's a V6 Genesis that should have been bought in every case of a new camaro owners downfall.

seriosuly though. who would buy the new camaro other than proud americans afriad of buying a hyundai. It's proved to be a better car in 100% of the tests and comparisons, even resale value, and it's hyundai.

there's no reason to buy a new camaro, meaning there's no reason to feel bad for owners who fucked up and didn't go with Korea

Give me a break.

Some people just want a V8 and last I checked you can't get one in a Genesis coupe.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

I would say 90% of the Camaro buyers in the US will never buy an import.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
damn..... and it actually looks good
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #7

Update for the first problem;

Quote:
UPDATE: We've now heard back from Planet LSX's source at GM: "Apparently this was an early production nose, slapped on to get it to Hennessey for parts development. The issue has been addressed and repaired on other cars. Something about a bolted bracket not being installed properly." Glad to hear that! [Planet LSX via Camaro5]
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
It's a moot point.

camaro looks better... if people bought cars for practical reasons no one would be buying ferraris porsches corvettes mustangs, nething we'd all be in prius' or something equally gay
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Camaro has something a Genesis doesn't have

torque
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I would love to get a Camaro after they work out the kinks. It's expected though, every new generation of cars have their problems. Some major, some minor.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
This is why I would never buy the first year of a new model change for any car, there's always some shit they need to work out first.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #12

I still think buying a brand new Camaro is stupid. It's a different story if GM was leasing but some buyers in Canada have paid well over $50,000 for a fully loaded SS which plain ol' stupid. I bet the same car used will be worth around $30,000 next year.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
wow... but theres not like a lot of these problems so it doesn't really matter... right?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

i'd buy the v8 camaro for the sound it makes and the torque!
It would be something fun+affordable to drive during the weekend.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Bumper cracking at high speed isn't as bad as the windshield bending at high speed ala the Ferrari 355 Spyder...

I'd take the Camaro over the Genesis, it just looks better...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
Camaro has something a Genesis doesn't have

torque
Maybe you havent looked at the specs lately, but the Genesis coupe has more torque than 90% of japanese/korean imports sold in NA, especially for the 4 cylinder.

But yes, of course the american cars have more torque. I thought this was common knowledge?..
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
It's a moot point.

^ I didn't read up on specs on either car, so genesis may have more bang for the buck, but one thing's for sure is camaro wins the beauty contest
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
it's a GM.

they are known for poor quality.

don't we all know that?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I still can't get over the Genesis front fascia. It just has a wierd smile.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I still can't get over the Genesis front fascia. It just has a wierd smile.
yeah just like one of those scary looking clown's smile.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
RS controls my life!

they put out a recall for 300 camaro ss's with the battery line rubbing through on the starter already..saying in worst cases it'll set the car on fire but thats a super slim chance.but more so it'll just fray and not work..dealers are being told to re-route the line to a designated spot to fix it
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
A flatbed towed the disabled car to a dealer where diagnosis found the cable running from the trunk mounted battery had frayed on the starter motor and grounded out, causing complete loss of power.
And that my friends, is similar to the issue I had with my van. Fcuking thing died while driving in a storm last year. Bottom line is that this is typical GM quality control, done by assholes who make $72/hour. This is why GM is failing. I gave them a chance, and they fcuked me over. So when it comes time to drop another $50k on a car, I'll be hitting the import dealers, not the domestics.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

That doesnt suprise me.... GM. Il get points if i even express how i feel about their poorley built cars.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
It's a moot point.

And the air bag not deploying in an accident is much better.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #25

^
Lol, I remember posting that picture last year......on a serious note I wonder if the driver and passenger survived that crash because they were in serious condition.