REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Dealing with ICBC car audio

My car was broken into all vandalized and got all my car audio stolen. I gave ICBC receipts that I purchased and installed them from A&B sound. After ICBC says they will not cover my subwoofers and amplifier because it was not bolted down to the car and its too bad.

I had no idea of this because I had it professionally installed by A&B sound and since theyre not around anymore, and now because of some thieves I have to rewire all the wiring in my car and find money to buy new subwoofers and amps.

Is there any way I can appeal this to ICBC or the manager??? I think its unfair because this has never happened to me before so I didnt know I had to bolt it down, I assumed A&B installed everyting professionally.Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
dimsum119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
no they are assholes about bolting down ive heard any stories with the same problem as u too
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

if your subs and amps were bolted to a box then they were bolted down in some way. YOur box was bolted down somehow right? I can't see the box being free floating. How do they define bolted down?
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
You should have drilled a couple holes in your floor boards and said "Look these are the holes that I used to bolt my sub box down".
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
yes ICBC's definition is that the box has to be held down by fasteners that secure the audio gear through sheet metal of the car

which no one ever does it, on the contrary if you do it your customers will give you shit for it.....So ICBC likes this loophole.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 05-11-2009 at 08:44 PM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsum119 View Post
I had it professionally installed by A&B sound
There's a contradictory statement, if I ever saw one...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
NSX
NA1

YUp, same here.
They stole my ITOUCH, ICBC wont cover it. Not permanantly attached to car.

THey stole my faceplate (panasonic), Went back to Visions, and Visions said Panasonic no longer makes ANY audio stuff..hence...no faceplate. Had receipts for ^$600 + for my deck. ICBC wont cover me for a new deck. They will only cover me $140, even though I have receipts from october. Currently fighting for it.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #8

If you need a new faceplate... just look on Ebay. There's several 'stores' who sell just the faceplate.. used, of course...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
NSX
NA1

Thats not the point. The point is " I bought Insurance." Why is it my reponsiblity to replace the things that were stolen from me. I bought insurance, AND im paying $300 deductible, along with receipts.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I had my drivers window smashed out and my GPS stolen. Windshield deductible was the same as replacing the window and GPS wasn't permanently attached (it doubles as a handheld!).

Might as well have not had insurance at all, didn't help me any.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Thats not the point. The point is " I bought Insurance." Why is it my reponsiblity to replace the things that were stolen from me. I bought insurance, AND im paying $300 deductible, along with receipts.
Your itouch isn't part of the vehicle, why would your car insurance cover it? CONTENTS of your car are covered by your home insurance.

Also, the purpose of the faceplate is so that it can be REMOVED from the vehicle when not in use, not put under the seat or in the glovebox...that being said:

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE: We only pay claims for theft of shuttle-mounted stereo equipment if there is evidence of damage to the vehicle or a building (such as a garage) caused by forcible entry.
Maybe you need to talk to your adjuster again......

According to their website: "Permanently attached to a permanently attached part of the vehicle" and here is their definition of permanently attached:

Quote:
Permanently attached

fixed to a permanently attached part of the vehicle by such items as bolts, screws, cements, fluxes or heat. For attachment or removal, these items would require the use of wrenches, screwdrivers, drills, pliers, acetylene torches, blowtorches, steamers or solvents.

ICBC does not consider items to be "permanently attached" if they are attached only by such easily removed items as:

* Velcro-type fasteners
* Staples
* Zip fasteners
* Locks (other than those requiring keys or combinations)
* Wing nuts
* Wires
* Snap fasteners
* Suction devices
* Hooks
* Magnets
* Buttons
* Pins (other than cotter pins)
* Vice grips
* Clamps
* Chains which are permanently attached to the vehicle, or chains which are not permanently attached to the vehicle.
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Seems like ICBC did the right thing here and you didnt read your policy.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
The things that were stolen from you were not secured to the vehicle, which is part of the conditions of your insurance. Not knowing it needs to bolted down is no defense, ICBC will not help you. They are an insurance company, not a government handout.

It's like the kids who come into the Police Forum and whine and moan about getting caught with no N, or front tinted windows, or no front plate (or jammed in the front window), or numerous other offenses... not knowing the law doesn't allow you to break it without penalty. You need to research this kind of stuff.

Ignorance is bliss, until it hurts you.

Getting to know what you are paying for in your insurance is a good start. Terms, conditions, etc... then you have a fighting chance when you need to use that insurance. Same goes for health & life insurance - read the policy! Get to know what you are and are not covered for. Maybe you're paying for something you will never use. The insurance company isn't going to tell you this, they're just going to take your premiums and keep lining their pocketbooks.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #14

Great post dai3yuen. That is useful information. If the equipment was secured by one of those methods the OP may have a successful appeal.

Contents aren't generally covered. This is common knowledge.

dimsum119, you can purchase a "Special Sound and Communication Equipment Endorsement" that covers sound equipment that is not permanently attached. It won't help you this time but will probably be useful in the future.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
NSX
NA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
The things that were stolen from you were not secured to the vehicle, which is part of the conditions of your insurance. Not knowing it needs to bolted down is no defense, ICBC will not help you. They are an insurance company, not a government handout.

It's like the kids who come into the Police Forum and whine and moan about getting caught with no N, or front tinted windows, or no front plate (or jammed in the front window), or numerous other offenses... not knowing the law doesn't allow you to break it without penalty. You need to research this kind of stuff.

Ignorance is bliss, until it hurts you.

Getting to know what you are paying for in your insurance is a good start. Terms, conditions, etc... then you have a fighting chance when you need to use that insurance. Same goes for health & life insurance - read the policy! Get to know what you are and are not covered for. Maybe you're paying for something you will never use. The insurance company isn't going to tell you this, they're just going to take your premiums and keep lining their pocketbooks.

Good to know. Thanks for the lecture teacher. Im not complaining about it. Im simply sharing my side of the story to the OP. If I get it I get it, If I dont, Oh well. You dont see me posting in the Police Forums bitching about it do you.?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

What about sunken car audio? like false floors, and subs sunked into fiberglass?

i wonder if that's considered "fastened/secured"
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
YUp, same here.
They stole my ITOUCH, ICBC wont cover it. Not permanantly attached to car.

THey stole my faceplate (panasonic), Went back to Visions, and Visions said Panasonic no longer makes ANY audio stuff..hence...no faceplate. Had receipts for ^$600 + for my deck. ICBC wont cover me for a new deck. They will only cover me $140, even though I have receipts from october. Currently fighting for it.
If your faceplate isn't available you should be eligible for a new stereo provided the reciept is in your name. You lose about 15% depreciation each year.

I suggest you talk to the manager at that branch and explain that to them. TECHNICALLY, panasonic doesn't do car audio anymore BUT the faceplate should still be available. You could try and find a panasonic parts depot and see of its available anywhere.

Under the normal coverage you should only be covered to a max of $1000 (Tax in/installation/parts) for the stereo portion of things.

Exterior mods are covered to a max of $5000 for any mods/bodykit/rims/exhuast/etc.

Receipts have to be in your own name. Proof of installation + pics will help. Stereo systems HAVE TO BE BOLTED DOWN. Loose items such as CDs, wallets, Ipods, accessories, headrest monitors are rarely ever covered by ICBC.

If you have a good driving record and been driving for a long time, I recommend you guys consider private insurance. They tend to be alot better service, cover more also. BUT not everyone can get it. I've seen one of the private insurance guys cover an $8000 system for my customer before. No major hassles and their agents were always very professional and helpful (to my surprise).
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 05-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf666@BNR32 View Post
What about sunken car audio? like false floors, and subs sunked into fiberglass?

i wonder if that's considered "fastened/secured"
It has to be BOLTED down. If you just fibreglass a tub into the floor it won't be covered.

I've never seen a good shop not bolt down a sub box unless requested by a customer. Even false floor enclosures get bolted.

But then again, I can't speak for the hack ass installers
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

We should have a Sticky Thread teaching RSers how to be dealing with ICBC.
such as OP experience, I wouldn't know about ICBC's definition of Bolt Down if not hk2000 mentioned.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
NSX
NA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
If your faceplate isn't available you should be eligible for a new stereo provided the reciept is in your name. You lose about 15% depreciation each year.

I suggest you talk to the manager at that branch and explain that to them. TECHNICALLY, panasonic doesn't do car audio anymore BUT the faceplate should still be available. You could try and find a panasonic parts depot and see of its available anywhere.

Under the normal coverage you should only be covered to a max of $1000 (Tax in/installation/parts) for the stereo portion of things.

Exterior mods are covered to a max of $5000 for any mods/bodykit/rims/exhuast/etc.

Receipts have to be in your own name. Proof of installation + pics will help. Stereo systems HAVE TO BE BOLTED DOWN. Loose items such as CDs, wallets, Ipods, accessories, headrest monitors are rarely ever covered by ICBC.

If you have a good driving record and been driving for a long time, I recommend you guys consider private insurance. They tend to be alot better service, cover more also. BUT not everyone can get it. I've seen one of the private insurance guys cover an $8000 system for my customer before. No major hassles and their agents were always very professional and helpful (to my surprise).

Thanks for the input. They found a used faceplate for me so problem solved.
Reciepts are under my name.
Im a roadstar next year so going private might be something i may consider.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #21
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Thanks for the input. They found a used faceplate for me so problem solved.
Reciepts are under my name.
Im a roadstar next year so going private might be something i may consider.
You think ICBC is bad just wait
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

thanks for all the advice and input guys. I just think its fucking bullshit how I have to pay for the mistakes if a&b sound since they didnt bolt it in.

Any way I can appeal and get icbc to cover it or at least cover my wiring to be redone, cuz they bastards cut my wires!
dimsum119 is offline   Reply With Quote