REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Regarding day Permits (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575883-regarding-day-permits.html)

girlcrazy_420 05-15-2009 03:05 PM

Regarding day Permits

This is just for the sake of arguement...

I picked up a 1989 S15 just to beat around the bush. Its nothing pretty to look at, but it drives just fine. Now, I dont want to put permanent insurance on it as its probably not the best Daily driver, but I would Like to put day permits on it to drive to my destination and go offroad/camping from there to spots where my DD probably shouldnt go.

Can a RCMP pull it off the road on the spot for "being unsafe"?? Day permits are usually used to move a vehicle that needs repair etc etc... or testing out a project before you put permanent insurance on it.

The issues it has. Turn signals dont work. I have been using hand signals every time it sees the road. The rear glass is missing... not a legal issue but would draw attention. Its lifted... some good fair size dents and faded paint along with a few large cracks in the windshield. Large bush bumpers, winch, offroad lights etc but has new all season tires and working headlights. It is mechanically fine, stops good and drives in a strait line. To be able to drive ANY vehicle out in the bush, it is mandatory that is has valid insurance for liability reasons hence why I would insure it...

thoughts and opinions other than saying "tow it" or fix the lights. The harness is shot.

netfreak 05-15-2009 04:21 PM

At the officer's discretion I think. Someone I knew was driving a car that they didn't own and had never driven before, police stated the vehicle had to be parked because the driver couldn't find the high beam control to turn it off. Nobody in Kelowna seems to use turn signals, but I could see that being a reason for them to issue you a VI or notice of order.

skidmark 05-15-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 6424850)
Can a RCMP pull it off the road on the spot for "being unsafe"??

Absolutely!

jlenko 05-16-2009 10:19 AM

Anything that is illegal on the vehicle that would get you a ticket should probably be fixed before you go driving this on the roads..

Wiring harnesses might be difficult to replace, but adding a few wires to fix the lights isn't that hard. It sounds like the truck is quite the beater... what's a few extra wires laying around? Not exactly going to hurt the truck's value...

Cracked windshield is bad... if you go off road and take a rock or roll the vehicle or whatever... the windshield could fail entirely... not the safest...

zulutango 05-16-2009 11:49 AM

To put the TOP in perspective...it is temporary registration.....not a defective vehicle free pass. The only difference between a TOP and 12 months normal registration...is the cost & the time period. Vehicles must meet the minimum standards..if they are on the road 12 months or 1 second. These seems to be a misconception in some circles that the car can be exempt because it is on the road for only a day. Not so. Sorry.

girlcrazy_420 05-16-2009 01:34 PM

about what I was expecting ^^

Berzerker 05-16-2009 01:39 PM

Yea as already mention a TOP isn't a "get out of tickets free" card. In fact IF you were to crash with a vehicle that isn't road worthy and you KNOW its not road worthy (faulty brakes or damages supension or something) you would be held personally responsible in any civil suits that were brought against you and could also be charged for negligence.

Berz out.