REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Blood Type Testing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575940-blood-type-testing.html)

simsimi1004 05-16-2009 01:13 AM

Blood Type Testing

where can i find out just for the sake of knowing what blood type i am?

I called a clinic and they said the process is to get a doctors requistion and then take that to a lab.

To get a doctors requisition, is there need to be a special reason? or can i just go to my family doctor and ask for one?

what to do? should i order one of those kits online?

Gnomes 05-16-2009 05:04 AM

Donate blood in Canadian Blood Services on Oak street. You need to make an appointment first. Give blood, save 5 lives.

Inaii 05-16-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 6425465)
Donate blood in Canadian Blood Services on Oak street. You need to make an appointment first. Give blood, save 5 lives.

+1 That's how I found mine out. Doesn't need to be the one on Oak though. There's a few of them in the lower mainland. Just look up Canadian Blood Services on google :)

syee 05-16-2009 08:16 AM

I'm sure they probably take samples when you go get a physical exam from the doc. See if he can have them request your blood type at the same time.

The better way is what everyone else suggested. Give blood, get your blood type and help a few people out in the process. :)

LemonH2O 05-17-2009 11:34 PM

My friend works at the lab in the hospital, she said testing blood type isn't a simple test, and it costs a lot of money to run the test. So, if you just want to know out of curiousity, your doctor probably won't let you get tested. She said if you really want to know, go donate blood. Mind you, they take like 10% of your body's worth of blood each time, so if you're afraid or can't take it, it's not a choice.

Even if you get admitted to hospital, unless you're in immediate life and death danger and need blood, they won't test your type either.

twitchyzero 05-18-2009 10:14 AM

it's odd how most people dont know their blood types

in asia, almost everyone knows their blood type. I think everyone should know their own so just in case a medical emergency blood transfusion is needed..there's no time wasted.

Gnomes 05-18-2009 12:37 PM

Blood group quickie testing.
Collect 1 tube of blood
1 drop of anti-A serum + 1 drop of blood. Mix.
1 drop of anti-B serum + 1 drop of blood. Mix.
1 drop of rh anti-serum + 1 drop of blood. Mix.

If anti-A alone clumps, the patient is A
If anti-B alone clumps, the patient is B
If neither anti-A or anti-B clumps, patient is O
If both anti-A and anti-B clumps, patient is AB

if anti-rh clumps, patient is rh pos, if not, rh neg.

Simple test, but anti-serum reagent reagent is not cheap.

BoneThug 05-18-2009 01:27 PM

FYI to give blood there are ALOT of pre-reqs to meet. been out of the country in the last 5 years? might be ineligible. had unprotected sex with a girl you met in the last 3 months? ineligible. i've tried giving blood 3 times and its always some new excuse :( why wont they just take my blood. its good blood, ive had it for years.

Inaii 05-18-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneThug (Post 6427600)
FYI to give blood there are ALOT of pre-reqs to meet. been out of the country in the last 5 years? might be ineligible. had unprotected sex with a girl you met in the last 3 months? ineligible. i've tried giving blood 3 times and its always some new excuse :( why wont they just take my blood. its good blood, ive had it for years.

I won't lie, I rofl'd hard at the last bit.

I got turned down last time because I had STD testing done the month previous. I thought it was slightly ridiculous that I got turned away, then I remembered that they take a lot of blood, and it takes a while for it all to come back. So I guess it made sense.

If you don't want to give blood by yourself, wait til one of us sets up another blood donation meet. But it'll definitely be the easiest way to find out =]

IMASA 05-20-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessPeiPei (Post 6427133)
My friend works at the lab in the hospital, she said testing blood type isn't a simple test, and it costs a lot of money to run the test. So, if you just want to know out of curiousity, your doctor probably won't let you get tested. She said if you really want to know, go donate blood. Mind you, they take like 10% of your body's worth of blood each time, so if you're afraid or can't take it, it's not a choice.

Even if you get admitted to hospital, unless you're in immediate life and death danger and need blood, they won't test your type either.

Actually, doing an ABO/Rh grouping is super easy. It only takes less than 5mins to do and where I work, there is a machine that does it for you, though I can do it faster than the machine.

The actual testing done on blood that you donate is more difficult and costly as they run more tests than your standard ABO/Rh.

To get your ABO/Rh done, you can just walk into your dr's office and ask them to give you a requisition for an ABO/Rh typing, however, it's a self-pay test if you just want to know. MSP cost is like < $20 for a Canadian resident plus any applicable lab fees. Any lab will do it cuz it's a patient billable test, they want the money. You just need to have a requisition from a dr.