REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Minute rice tastes like crap thinking of upgrading (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575960-minute-rice-tastes-like-crap-thinking-upgrading.html)

AsBannedAsItGets 05-16-2009 10:50 AM

Minute rice tastes like crap thinking of upgrading

Don't laugh please when I tell you I've been eating the el cheapo brand minute rice. Quite honestly it ain't all that bad but it does getting boring after awhile so I'm thinking of buying some better grains of rice. Preferably a good Asian brand. The reason I've been buying the minute rice is because its quick, fast and cheap.

Can anyone recommend some good Asian brands that I could get at stores like T&T? I want to buy those 10 or 20 pound bags. I know there's a butt load of different brands and I don't know which ones are good or are they all the same?

teaoh 05-16-2009 01:02 PM

i think my parents usually get the bag with a Rooster on it. I find it pretty good and the same as any other rice.

CorneringArtist 05-16-2009 01:40 PM

I think that Rooster Brand Rice is at Superstore...Most places sell the same rice as others, so shop around.

RenoMan 05-16-2009 01:58 PM

i luv jap n korean rice haha not so the chinese

hal0g0dv2 05-16-2009 02:51 PM

texana brown grain rice yummmmmmmmmm

Mugen EvOlutioN 05-16-2009 02:52 PM

rooster rice is crap, thai style rice.

get the jap bags

same brand and quality quality jap sushi restaurant uses

medium size bag is $25

large bag is $50

CanadaGoose 05-16-2009 03:11 PM

If you put hot water and a bit of salt into your rice cooker it'll make 2 servings of rice in like 10 minutes

Almost as fast as minute rice...I tried minute rice once and threw the whole box away, it's gross

!SG 05-16-2009 11:18 PM

haha, we get our rice from RICE WORLD! hahaha, the one in chinatown, but i think they own the same store in richmond.

we use to mix our rice, regular long grain china rice, thai jasmine rice, and japanese short grain rice.

now, in an effort to eat healthier, we also mix in a handful of red rice. it makes it taste like crap. the good thing though, cuz it taste like crap, i barely eat 1/2 a bowl. so yay to less carb intake.

SkinnyPupp 05-17-2009 12:18 AM

If you want the same rice used in Chinese cooking, just get any brand from Thailand. It's all the same shit, you don't need to get one with a rooster or elephant or whatever on it.

nipples 05-17-2009 09:58 PM

wait...minute rice as in uncle bens wild rice pilaf kinda stuff?
or like the instant rice you find at T&T where you just add hot water n it becomes rice?

LemonH2O 05-17-2009 10:49 PM

my mom mixes chinese rice with jap rice, good combo if you have the right amount of water

MelonBoy 05-18-2009 12:29 AM

i like korean rice personally.. chinese rice is a bit dryer and has a bite to it.. while korean/jap is more soft and chewy? =/ ..

tcneo 05-18-2009 08:57 AM

Chinese/Thai rice is long grain and doesn't usually like to clump/stick together.. that's why in those area that primary eat this kind of rice don't tend to pick up the rice with their chopstick (the Chinese just push them to the mouth from the bowl). It's also a bit more chewy than the Jap/Kor counterparts.

Japanese/Korean rice on the other hand is stickier and tends to clump together when cooked. This makes it easy to pick them up with chopstick, since bringing your bowl/pick up the bowl to your mouth is considered bad manner in Korea (not sure about Japan).

Personally, I like the Thai jasmine rice... so fragrant.. but some people find it too perfumery.

!SG 05-18-2009 09:04 AM

long grain and medium/short grain rice, thats the difference. short grain has more glutin sp? so its more chewy/sticky.

i personally like korean/japanese rice as well. just because im chinese and so eat the regular long grain all the time

if you make rice at home, why not try mixing the rice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 6427190)
i like korean rice personally.. chinese rice is a bit dryer and has a bite to it.. while korean/jap is more soft and chewy? =/ ..

pintoBC_3sgte 05-18-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipples (Post 6427044)
wait...minute rice as in uncle bens wild rice pilaf kinda stuff?
or like the instant rice you find at T&T where you just add hot water n it becomes rice?

ooo wild rice pilaf sounds good.. maybe mix in some cranberries,corn,butter and pine nuts while ur at it :thumbsup::p

haha or wat about mexican rice :confused:

pintoBC_3sgte 05-18-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6427373)
if you make rice at home, why not try mixing the rice.

different rices require different water/rice ratios as well as cooking times dont they?

SiR001 05-18-2009 10:46 PM

healthier rice (less starchy)

basmati rice is great...lately we've been trying out brown rice in many different forms, tastes a bit like popcorn....

mixing up white and brown rice is not bad...

achiam 05-27-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsRealAsItGets (Post 6425609)
Don't laugh please when I tell you I've been eating the el cheapo brand minute rice. Quite honestly it ain't all that bad but it does getting boring after awhile so I'm thinking of buying some better grains of rice. Preferably a good Asian brand. The reason I've been buying the minute rice is because its quick, fast and cheap.

Can anyone recommend some good Asian brands that I could get at stores like T&T? I want to buy those 10 or 20 pound bags. I know there's a butt load of different brands and I don't know which ones are good or are they all the same?

Upgrade to Uncle Ben's.

OR

Go to Rice World in Richmond and get a 20kg sack of AAA Thai Jasmine rice.
Should last your average family about 6 months.

Teriyaki 05-27-2009 09:47 AM

Can't stand instant rice.

My family has been buying the "green landscape" bag of rice for years now. We've tried multiple times going with cheaper "on sale" bags, but they never seem to match up to the GREEN bag. It's sold at T&T, its never on sale and on the pricier side though. Totally worth it though:thumbsup:

q0192837465 05-27-2009 04:03 PM

Bismati rice taste good too. Also Jap rice, but they cost significantly more

Mugen EvOlutioN 05-28-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 6439926)
Bismati rice taste good too. Also Jap rice, but they cost significantly more

because its JDM yo

:thumbsup: