REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
noob

Minute rice tastes like crap thinking of upgrading

Don't laugh please when I tell you I've been eating the el cheapo brand minute rice. Quite honestly it ain't all that bad but it does getting boring after awhile so I'm thinking of buying some better grains of rice. Preferably a good Asian brand. The reason I've been buying the minute rice is because its quick, fast and cheap.

Can anyone recommend some good Asian brands that I could get at stores like T&T? I want to buy those 10 or 20 pound bags. I know there's a butt load of different brands and I don't know which ones are good or are they all the same?
Advertisement
AsBannedAsItGets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i think my parents usually get the bag with a Rooster on it. I find it pretty good and the same as any other rice.
teaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I think that Rooster Brand Rice is at Superstore...Most places sell the same rice as others, so shop around.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

i luv jap n korean rice haha not so the chinese
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
texana brown grain rice yummmmmmmmmm
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Banned (BBM)

rooster rice is crap, thai style rice.

get the jap bags

same brand and quality quality jap sushi restaurant uses

medium size bag is $25

large bag is $50
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #7

If you put hot water and a bit of salt into your rice cooker it'll make 2 servings of rice in like 10 minutes

Almost as fast as minute rice...I tried minute rice once and threw the whole box away, it's gross

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
haha, we get our rice from RICE WORLD! hahaha, the one in chinatown, but i think they own the same store in richmond.

we use to mix our rice, regular long grain china rice, thai jasmine rice, and japanese short grain rice.

now, in an effort to eat healthier, we also mix in a handful of red rice. it makes it taste like crap. the good thing though, cuz it taste like crap, i barely eat 1/2 a bowl. so yay to less carb intake.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
If you want the same rice used in Chinese cooking, just get any brand from Thailand. It's all the same shit, you don't need to get one with a rooster or elephant or whatever on it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

wait...minute rice as in uncle bens wild rice pilaf kinda stuff?
or like the instant rice you find at T&T where you just add hot water n it becomes rice?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

my mom mixes chinese rice with jap rice, good combo if you have the right amount of water
LemonH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

i like korean rice personally.. chinese rice is a bit dryer and has a bite to it.. while korean/jap is more soft and chewy? =/ ..
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Chinese/Thai rice is long grain and doesn't usually like to clump/stick together.. that's why in those area that primary eat this kind of rice don't tend to pick up the rice with their chopstick (the Chinese just push them to the mouth from the bowl). It's also a bit more chewy than the Jap/Kor counterparts.

Japanese/Korean rice on the other hand is stickier and tends to clump together when cooked. This makes it easy to pick them up with chopstick, since bringing your bowl/pick up the bowl to your mouth is considered bad manner in Korea (not sure about Japan).

Personally, I like the Thai jasmine rice... so fragrant.. but some people find it too perfumery.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
long grain and medium/short grain rice, thats the difference. short grain has more glutin sp? so its more chewy/sticky.

i personally like korean/japanese rice as well. just because im chinese and so eat the regular long grain all the time

if you make rice at home, why not try mixing the rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
i like korean rice personally.. chinese rice is a bit dryer and has a bite to it.. while korean/jap is more soft and chewy? =/ ..

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
wait...minute rice as in uncle bens wild rice pilaf kinda stuff?
or like the instant rice you find at T&T where you just add hot water n it becomes rice?

ooo wild rice pilaf sounds good.. maybe mix in some cranberries,corn,butter and pine nuts while ur at it

haha or wat about mexican rice
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
if you make rice at home, why not try mixing the rice.
different rices require different water/rice ratios as well as cooking times dont they?
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
RS Veteran

healthier rice (less starchy)

basmati rice is great...lately we've been trying out brown rice in many different forms, tastes a bit like popcorn....

mixing up white and brown rice is not bad...

Need computer-related Help?? Affordable rates and on-site. Quality work. Fully qualified, I am a professional certified computer technologist with over 15+yrs experience on various platforms/hardware/software while working @ a Fortune 500 company. MSN: talon001@hotmail.com Email: allenm604@gmail.com
SiR001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsRealAsItGets View Post
Don't laugh please when I tell you I've been eating the el cheapo brand minute rice. Quite honestly it ain't all that bad but it does getting boring after awhile so I'm thinking of buying some better grains of rice. Preferably a good Asian brand. The reason I've been buying the minute rice is because its quick, fast and cheap.

Can anyone recommend some good Asian brands that I could get at stores like T&T? I want to buy those 10 or 20 pound bags. I know there's a butt load of different brands and I don't know which ones are good or are they all the same?
Upgrade to Uncle Ben's.

OR

Go to Rice World in Richmond and get a 20kg sack of AAA Thai Jasmine rice.
Should last your average family about 6 months.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Can't stand instant rice.

My family has been buying the "green landscape" bag of rice for years now. We've tried multiple times going with cheaper "on sale" bags, but they never seem to match up to the GREEN bag. It's sold at T&T, its never on sale and on the pricier side though. Totally worth it though
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Bismati rice taste good too. Also Jap rice, but they cost significantly more

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #21
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Bismati rice taste good too. Also Jap rice, but they cost significantly more
because its JDM yo

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote