REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Got a ticket 'disobey red light at intersection' when making left turn (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576044-got-ticket-disobey-red-light-intersection-when-making-left-turn.html)

c00per 05-17-2009 11:10 AM

Got a ticket 'disobey red light at intersection' when making left turn

Ok so I'm on the left turn lane waiting to make a left turn, there's a Van in front of me (so I'm the second car on that lane and my car actually pass the line)

When the light turn yellow, the oncoming car trying to run through a late yellow so making the van in front and me turning at red. And the cop stop me and give me a ticket of 'disobey red light at intersection.

So I have no way to stop at the middle of the road when it turn red and I got a ticket for making the turn, so I am going to dispute and what do you think of the chance winning it? Or am I at fault?

DelphiR32 05-17-2009 11:36 AM

You said that you were past the line.

Then you are at fault.

There is only supposed to be one car in the intersection turning left at a time.

Therefore you got a ticket for running a red.

Hope that helps

c00per 05-17-2009 04:21 PM

So cops can give out ticket at almost every intersection since for everyday driving there are more then one car at the intersection when making a left turn?

wing_woo 05-17-2009 04:54 PM

You can actually have as many cars as you want in the intersection as long as you are completely past the line. Most intersections only have room for one car to be completely through though, which is why some people think it's only one.

c00per 05-17-2009 05:07 PM

ok thanks for the info, and now my question is my ticket is 'disobey red light at intersection', so I'm sure my car has past the line completely in the yellow so does it mean that I didn't run a red (coz from what I read from other post , as long as the light is not red when I past the line I'm not supposed to be running a red?)

skidmark 05-17-2009 07:22 PM

Running the red means entering the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red. If you were already in it, then this ticket cannot be successfully prosecuted.

c00per 05-17-2009 09:13 PM

good to know, thanks for the clearification

azzurro32 05-17-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6426922)
Running the red means entering the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red. If you were already in it, then this ticket cannot be successfully prosecuted.

What if your car is half in the intersection, half behind the line. I would assume that is not considered running a red because your car is IN the intersection?

skidmark 05-18-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzurro32 (Post 6427073)
What if your car is half in the intersection, half behind the line. I would assume that is not considered running a red because your car is IN the intersection?

Right.

Rich Sandor 05-18-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelphiR32 (Post 6426579)
You said that you were past the line.

Then you are at fault.

There is only supposed to be one car in the intersection turning left at a time.

Therefore you got a ticket for running a red.

Hope that helps

Uh, what? Where did you get that from? I don't think that's right at all.

anti_rice 05-18-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6427385)

that's actually correct. You are not suppose to block the crosswalk, so for most intersections only 1 car is allowed to be in the intersection at a time. Meaning until the car in front of you turns, your technically not allowed to be right behind him/her. Unless of course your rear bumper can clear the crosswalk.

Rich Sandor 05-18-2009 11:42 AM

There is no rule in the MVA that says only 1 car in the intersection at a time.

If there is a traffic jam ahead, and you enter the intersection anyway and then cannot complete your turn, and clear the intersection, that is a legitimate MVA offense.

However, I see occasions where someone it is perfectly safe to have 2-3 cars in an intersection waiting to turn left, but one person is too timid and only 1 car makes it through for the turn. That's just plain frustrating.

johny 05-18-2009 06:49 PM

the one car rule would come from entering the intersection when it wasn't safe. (the exact MVA quote I don't know)

if there is already a car in the intersection you shouldn't be entering as it is not clear / safe. of course everyone does it, it saves time for everyone.

c00per 05-18-2009 09:34 PM

So I think there's actually grey area for the left turn rule?

If cops are going to give out ticket for the left turner , I don't think they will have time to fight for crimes..

c00per 05-18-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6427503)
There is no rule in the MVA that says only 1 car in the intersection at a time.

If there is a traffic jam ahead, and you enter the intersection anyway and then cannot complete your turn, and clear the intersection, that is a legitimate MVA offense.

However, I see occasions where someone it is perfectly safe to have 2-3 cars in an intersection waiting to turn left, but one person is too timid and only 1 car makes it through for the turn. That's just plain frustrating.

Yea what frustrate me is that in my situation the traffic is smooth, and there's no point for me not to go beyond the line and wait for the left turn..and ends up getting a ticket...

DelphiR32 05-19-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6427385)

I remember reading about left turns awhile back and I dug up the old thread on it.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/left-...ight=left+turn

I'm wrong on this, thanks for pointing it out.

PACER 05-20-2009 03:42 PM

sounds like you have all figured this one out and thanks to DelphiR32 for searching the answers out in an old post......

One thing that has not surfaced in this post and is a very common occurence:

One or more vehicles in the intersection waiting to make a left (realy makes no diference to me as long as they all clear when the light changes) Another vehicle waiting at the stop line (completely stopped) light turns yellow and this vehicle immediately starts to proceed forward to get into the intersection and completes a turn. I know you have all seen this as I frequenlty ticket this offence. Contrary to what a number of people are telling me they are taught or understand, a YELLOW light is more of a red light than a green ligth, for some reason people are of the opinion you can continue to drive thru or start to drive thru an intersection on a yellow light...

cOOPER is does appear from your original post you should have a good chance at defending yourself in court, as long as the detail you provided are what occured.

124Y 05-23-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c00per (Post 6426777)
So cops can give out ticket at almost every intersection since for everyday driving there are more then one car at the intersection when making a left turn?

To my understanding, technically, yes. More than one car waiting to turn left past the stop line, that is. The first car can roll past the stop line, but the 2nd car must stay behind the stop line until the first car turns. Technically speaking, in your situation, you should not have proceeded forward into the intersection when the light turns yellow since the car in front of you is still yielding to oncoming traffic.

Rich Sandor 05-23-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 124Y (Post 6433893)
To my understanding, technically, yes. More than one car waiting to turn left past the stop line, that is. The first car can roll past the stop line, but the 2nd car must stay behind the stop line until the first car turns. Technically speaking, in your situation, you should not have proceeded forward into the intersection when the light turns yellow since the car in front of you is still yielding to oncoming traffic.

Your understanding is wrong. There is no law that limits 1 car in the intersection at a time.

You are not allowed to be stranded in the intersection blocking other traffic when the light is against you - but there is no law in BC that limits 1 car being in the intersection at a time. If you can make it safely, GO.

Preemo 05-25-2009 12:26 AM

It may not be a law, but I'm quite sure it is in the new drivers manual for L drivers. On a driving test I am quite sure you would get dinged for it. I was taught 1 car to turn left and the others must be behind the line. If you think about it, it makes total logical sense.

Rich Sandor 05-25-2009 12:58 AM

I just checked the book, and it does not say anywhere that only 1 car should enter the intersection at a time. You were taught wrong.