REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
New road rule: Slow down when passing parked emergency services vehicles or be fined

RCMP reminded the public Friday that a new traffic law will force drivers to slow down to below the speed limit when passing an emergency vehicle stopped on the side of the road.

Beginning June 1, drivers must slow to 70 km/h on highways where the speed limit is 80 km/h or higher, and to 40 km/h where the limit is below 80 km/h, when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle that has its lights flashing, according to an RCMP statement.

Also, when passing an emergency vehicle on a road with two or more lanes, drivers must use the far left lane.

The law is meant to protect emergency personnel who leave themselves susceptible to being hit by passing vehicles.

The law was created during the tenure of now former Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General John van Dongen who resigned from the cabinet position after his driver's licence was lifted for two excessive speeding tickets.

“Too often, these workers face near-misses, injury or even death – directly due to the carelessness of passing drivers," van Dongen said in the statement.

In addition to fire, ambulance, and police vehicles, the law includes protection for other emergency service employees like vehicle inspectors, conservation officers, and utility workers.

A fine of three penalty points against one's licence and a $148 ticket will be issued to those caught not obeying the new law.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Kevin Falcon said the law follows other jurisdictions that have done the same thing to protect emergency workers.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Should've been law long ago. Countless times I've seen people zoom excessively fast past the emergency crew and their vehicles while they attended to their duties.

I've also seen people tailgating emergency vehicles right after after pulling over for them, thinking "oh cool emergency crew yay lets follow and let them clear the way for me!"..

sigh.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Great. More fucking gridlock. So cops pull over someone for speeding, driving in the HOV lane etc, etc and everyone on the fucking hwy has to suffer as a result? Do you know how impractical it will be for all traffic to switch to the far left lane on a busy hwy?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Doesn't it make sense to do this anyway? I know I always slow down when I pass a pulled over police car or ambulance. I don't want to run over some poor cop or paramedic.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Seems pretty normal LOL...
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
racing & tech mod.

sounds fine to me as long as there's also a fine for cops who stop in places where they don't absolutely HAVE to.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Everyone always slows down to rubber neck anyhow. This is just going to give them more of an excuse, and probably cause more accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Codified common-sense.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
yeah, isnt it common sense to do that anyways? what was the previous law in place? speed up when passing an emergency vehicle???

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Does it count when the cop car is on the roadside trying to catch speeders and I just go by at posted speed limits? I mean....you ARE trying to be stealth here right?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Emergency personnel have side mirrors and eyes too...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
yeah, isnt it common sense to do that anyways? what was the previous law in place? speed up when passing an emergency vehicle???
ya, its something I've been doing ever since I got my license. but you know what they say about common sense, that it isn't that common.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
NSX
NA1

I never see people speeding by Emergency vehicles. They slow down,get nosy, and watch like a snail. They have a better chance of rear ending someone than hitting a emergency vehicle.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the biggest problem is when traffic happens.

you ever try to pull over on broadway during rush hour when you see emergency vehicles coming east AND west? its impossible, and then there are those that freak out at the sound and sight of an ambulance, cop, firetruck and all they do is freeze right in the middle of the road.

fix the congestion to give some room so you CAN even pull over.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Fine, protect their ass while working on the side of the road but what about tow truck drivers with their lights on? The law should apply to them too.

And I've said it a million times: Ticket the bloody left lane blockers!!!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Doesn't it make sense to do this anyway? I know I always slow down when I pass a pulled over police car or ambulance. I don't want to run over some poor cop or paramedic.
Makes perfect sense... most considerate drivers already do it. But it seems careful and considerate drivers are becoming fewer and further between on BC roads nowadays...

I've always done this.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's already the law in other provinces and it's simple common sense here.

This is a good thing!
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
SardaukarMod

unfortunately, it's quite uncommon sense. otherwise they wouldn't have to make a new law over it.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

While I do this anyways... how are they gonna ticket this?
Just say "this law was not in place when I got my license and I didnt know about it".

I'm pretty sure at first they will just be giving out warnings.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
SardaukarMod

^^^ ignorance of law is not a defence in court.

but yes, the police might or might not give out warnings the first month or so. but again, it's up the discretion of the officer whether or not to give out a warning or to issue you a ticket.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP View Post
I never see people speeding by Emergency vehicles. They slow down,get nosy, and watch like a snail. They have a better chance of rear ending someone than hitting a emergency vehicle.
you'd be surprised how many people carelessly whip by, but yes then you get rubber necks that have to see what is going on... if i'm stuck on traffic control i'm either waving people to slow the hell down that are still above the posted limit or to get them moving more than 20kms/hr so there isn't more to deal with.
TheSmokeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

I don't see how they'd enforce this anyway.
If I go at my normal speed past a cop who has pulled some1 over on the side of the road, is he really gonna drop everything he's doing and quickly jump in his car and come pull me over? I highly doubt it...
ELITE_TRAYUNZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
they do this in alberta
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
unfortunately, it's quite uncommon sense. otherwise they wouldn't have to make a new law over it.
True, looking at some of the responses here, there are still a lot of dumbfuck drivers out there who need to be forced into having some common sense.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #25
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
My understanding is that in Alberta & other provinces, the fine is based on the speed you are doing when you didn't slow down. HUGE fines in the multi-hundreds of dollars...here it's just like a basic speeding ticket.

As one who has had to jump out of the way of speeding vehicles many times, I welcome this new law. Just wished the fine was higher. 2 of the guys I worked with were hit by idiot drivers ( they both lived) and several others had to bail at the last moment. Truckers used to see how close they could get so that the vacuum would suck your hat off.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: