REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Excessive Speeding Ticket on HWY 97

Okay so I was driving back from Kelowna on HWY 97 going moderately down hill, it was a 110 zone and I was passing this truck with a wonky carrage on the back on the left lane, my friend yells watch out, So I quickly floor it to avoid getting hit, ( note I drive a 745i so it jumps when u floor it) now on the on coming lane there is an RCMP officer driving towards me at the time of this incident, who I can clearly see infront of me, so why would I speed on purpose. Any ways few seconds later he busts a U-Turn pulls me over says im going I was goin like 160 in a 110 zone, I explained to him the situation I even pointed out the pickup trucker and the trailer and he looked at it in the distance and I also humbley admited to him before the incident I was cruizing at about 120km/h with the flow of traffic, he said yeah most people are averaging a bout 118km/h right now anyhow. So he goes and rights me a ticket for #1 Excessive Speeding and #2 Failure to display N sign, which I did have one on the back before I left, he's like here I'll give u another on and when he tried to stick it to my car it wasn't sticking properly either so it's obvious thats how the previous one came off. He said he gave me the failure to display ticket because It doesn't give me points. I've got other witnesses to the incident, who were in the vehicle with me at the time ( friends, one who was teh 25 year old superviser with a class 5).

So now I have some questions? This is my first ticket ever! I've got a clean driving record from my 3 years of having a license.

Now some questions

Is the officer supposed to write the speed you were driving on the ticket? because like how is he supposed to remember in the event that I dispute it, all he wrote was excessive speeding?

Also I had temporarly insured my car for 5 days, I put the temporary paper on where the regular Metal liscense plate is, and Took my expired liscense plate and kept it in the window, because I'm going to get aircare in a few days and insure it properly again. So on the ticket the officer wrote the expired insurance liscene plate number down ( My actual metal one in the window ) not the temporary paper number? So does this mean the ticket is inaccurate? I can prove that the car wasn't insured under that liscense plate number at the time. Also on the ticket where he wrote my Metal liscense plate number his writing of MGX looks like HGX. So does this also make the ticket inaccurate? I'm not planning on using these as my defence in my dispute, I'm going to tell the actual story with a witness, but is it worth mentioning these points as well?
Advertisement
Prelude_driva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Things I would like to point out.

1. You can't speed over the limit. Ever. Doesn't matter if you're passing.
2. Your friends cannot be witnesses as they are in your car and will show bias.
3. No he does not need to write the speed down on the ticket, he has notes for that reason.
4. Read "grey area"
5. You admitted guilt. It is pretty much a close case.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
if you see a cop, and the truck in front of you has a sketchy trailer, fall back instead of punching it. where exactly were you, coming down into Westbank towards the McDonalds? if so there's a light at the bottom of that hill anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

judge: "were you speeding"
you: "well yessir but, blah blah blah"
judge: "so what exactly are you disputing? quit wasting the courts time"

save yourself the time, buck up and pay the ticket
chances are you are going to loose your license over this as well
gg no re
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Doesn't him not writing the wrong liscense plate number make the ticket invalid?
Prelude_driva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"Bad handwriting" is not cause for rejection if the Officer can explain. If everything else is correct then I can not see the VT being tossed. Keep in mind that you have a carbon copy and the exact pen strokes might be much clearer on the original of the VT. An H can look like an M, depending on the handwriting and who interprets it. Considering the speed you admitted doing I would not want the entire evidence of what I did being entered in court. Instead of speeding up to over 100mph...why did you just not brake and move out of the way? It takes a lot longer to accelerate from 110 to 160 than it does to brake just a bit and move out of the way. If I issued the VT those are questions I would be asking you under oath?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
2. Your friends cannot be witnesses as they are in your car and will show bias.
That is not true. It is up to the justice hearing the case to decide what weight to put on the testimony.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^^ZT reading fail again... there was nothing about bad handwriting; the cop wrote down the metal plate number (which was expired but placed in the window), rather than the temporary permit number that was on display, which he was operating on at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I responded to the handwriting portion of the long question. As a purveyor of bad handwriting ( mea culpa) I have had the arise in court and I have not lost a VT because of it. I have also written tickets where I used the expired BCL on the car in the VT and stated that it was displaying the plate, that was expired. The plate belonged to that vehicle but was not currently registered for it. The TOP is just that and I have never run into a VT being tossed because the TOP # was not used. When dealing with vehicles never registered in BC and bearing no plates at all, I have just left the space blank but recorded the VIN # in my notes.
Based on my personal experience in Traffic Court, I don't believe the JP would toss the VT because the Cop used the BCL assigned to the vehicle but not currently valid, and did not use the TOP. If the BCL belonged to another vehicle completely, then there may be an issue of identification of the vehicle in question....that does not exist as explained to us here. Although not explained here, I'm guessing that the Cop used the expired registration papers or just ran the BCL in the computer for vehicle details. The TOP numbers are supposed to be in the system when issued but that has not always been so in my experience.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Speeding is prohibited even if you are trying to put a dangerous situation behind you. Next time be part of the collision.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Speeding is prohibited even if you are trying to put a dangerous situation behind you. Next time be part of the collision.
Strange but true - if an animal jumps in your path, you're better off (from a legal/insurance standpoint) to hit it, rather than swerve to miss it and crash into the ditch or roll your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i got the same ticket before. i disputed. Officer showed up. I argued with the officer before court started saying i wasnt speeding that fast. he agreed to lower it simple speeding ($483 to $139)
dragon_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

You can question his ability to judge your speed in court. Request the police detachment to present you with their evidence against you. (all notes etc.) The only thing is that you admitted to speeding.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeChow View Post
You can question his ability to judge your speed in court. Request the police detachment to present you with their evidence against you. (all notes etc.) The only thing is that you admitted to speeding.
Which means that nothing else matters.

Admitting to guilt will result in an open and shut case.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote