REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Hasting street

Everyone understand that driving on Hasting requires extra precaution due to construction, high traffic, cycles and lots of perdestrain/jaywalkers.

1)Say you are driving at 40km/h and jaywalker ran into your car, who is at fault?
2)Ran into cyclist who disobey traffic lights or without signal of chaning lane, who is at fault?
3)Driving within speed limit, ran into jaywalker and caused third party brain damaged or perhaps death (<--im not sure if ever been case where people died in accident below 50km, im just assuming ) who is at fault?
Advertisement
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I dunno but Hastings and Renfrew was a BITCH this morning they were fixing some sign by the PNE and blocked off all north bound of Hastings on Renfrew.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
I dunno but Hastings and Renfrew was a BITCH this morning they were fixing some sign by the PNE and blocked off all north bound of Hastings on Renfrew.
lol, they were fixing up the cables for the bus.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

i had a few of those happen. guy ran into my car and pretended i hit him. he dashed as i was coming to a stop for the light n made a big scene. i was choked cause i thought the homeless man would win n screw me over. cops across the street sirened over. so thought i was dead at this point. turns out the cops were on my side as the homeless dude was known for pulling stunts like this. cops even asked if there was damage to the car. not sure why, cause i doubt the homeless dude would pay for it lol

but the told me i could go and took the dude away.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

When you say "who is at fault," do you mean who is financially liable or who is in breach of the traffic rules?

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
^assuming both. im super careful when i drive around that area for all those reasons. crackheads make great bf/gf's - cuz they are unpredictable

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
When you say "who is at fault," do you mean who is financially liable or who is in breach of the traffic rules?
assuming both as well, this is a pretty serious question im asking, im curious how is the result going to turn out..
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

No one has any answer to my question?
As I was driving to work this morning, I see this crack head ran into a car on the lane beside me while stoping at the red light.
It really bothers me when i see something like that happen.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

In all of your cases it comes down to how much you could have or should have been able to anticipate and avoid when it comes to civil liability. Since I have no training here, I can't answer any more than that.

As far as the MVA is concerned, without more specific circumstances, it appears that all 3 are meant to be the fault of others, but you are still required to exercise caution if you see a child or apparently confused person on the highway, which your jaywalker could be, so in some cases you could both be charged.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk View Post
No one has any answer to my question?
As I was driving to work this morning, I see this crack head ran into a car on the lane beside me while stoping at the red light.
It really bothers me when i see something like that happen.
I wouldn't even care who was legally responsible, will it even matter?
I think the main problem is that regardless of whos fault it is, you are paying for damages one way or another. You always get shafted as the vehicle owner. Lets say even if ICBC somehow covered an accident with another vehicle, or some "damages" to your vehicle. You will pay for it when your policy is renewed. Whenever your car has damages and its your fault or another party is at fault, you always pay; now or later.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

gotta watch out for the hobos as well....some have bad tempers lol
j1mmyi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
I think the main problem is that regardless of whos fault it is, you are paying for damages one way or another. You always get shafted as the vehicle owner. Lets say even if ICBC somehow covered an accident with another vehicle, or some "damages" to your vehicle. You will pay for it when your policy is renewed. Whenever your car has damages and its your fault or another party is at fault, you always pay; now or later.
That's completely untrue.

If collision damage is 100% the other party's fault, ICBC covers the repairs, and it DOES NOT affect your rates. That's the whole point of the "claim-rated scale" and the safe-driver discounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote