REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Grouse Grind Challenge

Hey guys!
I'm thinking of joining the Grouse Grind Challenge this year, and was wondering if anyone here has done it? Also feel free to post your best times!
My PB 3 yrs ago was 47m; if I remember correctly
Advertisement
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Damn that's pretty good. My best was around 1h 10min.
BlackV62K2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Are you talking about seek the peak ?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

i will be trying it for the very first time sometime soon
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
i will be trying it for the very first time sometime soon
don't try and be a hero the first time. most first timers hit the wall within 10-15 minutes. start a slow-to-moderate walking pace and if you can make it to the 1/2 way mark without stopping, increase your pace then.

I set my personal record this past monday - 47:36. I still can't comprehend how some elite grinders are capable of finishing in the mid to high 20s.

i've found that my 10k run time and my grouse grind time are within 60 seconds of each other. i'm curious if any other runners are in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust

Last edited by SizzleChest; 05-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
remember the whole 43ma a while back? lol
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsup View Post
Are you talking about seek the peak ?
I think so! I haven't been in Vancouver during September for about 3 years now though; so the name may have changed
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleChest View Post
don't try and be a hero the first time. most first timers hit the wall within 10-15 minutes. start a slow-to-moderate walking pace and if you can make it to the 1/2 way mark without stopping, increase your pace then.

I set my personal record this past monday - 47:36. I still can't comprehend how some elite grinders are capable of finishing in the mid to high 20s.

i've found that my 10k run time and my grouse grind time are within 60 seconds of each other. i'm curious if any other runners are in the same boat.
holy crap you're right. My sun run time was 51min something seconds; quite close!

There was a time around 2004 that I'd often do the GG alone early on Saturday mornings. I realized that the 1st quarter obviously took the longest, as my heart and muscles were still getting up to speed. I found that by doing a short run before doing the Grind (about 3 km), dramatically cut down the lag of the 1st quarter. Kinda like turbo lag lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I remember one of my teachers in high school averaged ~26-32 minutes each time he did the grind. He took us on a field trip and he zoomed past everybody like crazy haha
Chairman Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I found that by doing a short run before doing the Grind (about 3 km), dramatically cut down the lag of the 1st quarter. Kinda like turbo lag lol.
i should try that next time i go up.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I think so! I haven't been in Vancouver during September for about 3 years now though; so the name may have changed
Seek the Peak is from Ambleside to the peak of Grouse, held in July.
Grouse Grind Mountain Run is the Grind only, held in September I believe.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
God of Unce

Fuck, my buddy is dragging me along soon.. will be my very first time and i'm not fit. FML
Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #13

I have officially lost my Grouse Grind virginity!!!

just did this about 2 hours ago...first time attempt of doing anything of such a physical endurance.

62 minutes. But wow....feels so good.

I'll be up there again in about a couple of weeks to try to get it below 60.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
I have officially lost my Grouse Grind virginity!!!

just did this about 2 hours ago...first time attempt of doing anything of such a physical endurance.

62 minutes. But wow....feels so good.

I'll be up there again in about a couple of weeks to try to get it below 60.
it should be pretty easy to knock 5 minutes or so off your first time. you did check your watch when you got to the timer and not just the clearing, right?

Quote:
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #15

Thats correct dude. Actually as a matter of fact, a friend who was carrying the watch and finished prior told me to run to the finish marker before he told me the time.

But that advice was given to me in the beginning was something i should have taken to heart. "Don't be a hero."

My friend ran up at the begining, and i followed....big mistake. After two minutes, it actually felt like a knockout punch to the gut. So, the first quarter was more difficult than i imagined. But if i didn't act like a pro-star in the begining and just did a heavy pace, i know i could have done it in less than hour.

I'l repost a time in two weeks.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:

wow.. that is very impressive.. i think my personal best has been around 56 minutes or so... hahaa...

The elite grinders who finish in around 25ish minutes jog to the half way mark.. then walk the rest.... this guy at the gym used to go 3 times a week... he looks like the bloody transporter.. hahahaha !!!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #17

46:09 this past monday. if i keep knocking down my personal bests like this, i should be close to 40:00 by the end of the season.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
I am on the internets

42 mins
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

43MA
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #20

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
First 3 times this year 60min then 56min and now 54min. I can get a good 1st half or a good 2nd half but never all together haha.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #21

A new record has been set for the most times anyone has climbed North Vancouver's gruelling Grouse Grind trail in a single day.

Around 11 p.m. PT Monday night, Vancouver realtor Sebastian Albrecht reached the top of the rocky trail for the 13th time since he started at 7 a.m.

After completing the final climb in the dark, a weary Albrecht told CBC News it had been a challenging day.

"Once I got past 10 it was easier psychologically because I knew I was really close to my goal. Physically, it was a lot more difficult because my body was starting to give out. And 12 and 13 were painful," he said.

The 2.9-kilometre trail runs from the Grouse Mountain gondola base station in North Vancouver up to the ski lodge perched on the edge of the mountain overlooking all of Metro Vancouver.

With an average grade of 30 degrees, the popular trail has earned the nickname "nature's Stairmaster" among local fitness buffs.

Average hikers struggle up the route in about an hour and a half, while the unofficial record is 24 minutes and 22 seconds. Albrecht averaged about 50 minutes per climb, catching his breath and eating between climbs, and taking the tram down.
13,000 calories

The previous record, which Albrecht shared with Jason Chong, was 12 summits in a day. The exertion required is tremendous, Chong told CBC News.

"You have to buckle down pretty much. Most endurance athletes will tell you it becomes more mental as it goes on," he said.

Albrecht burned an estimated 13,000 calories by the time the day was over. His energy needs were looked after by a dedicated supply team: his mother Johanna Albrecht.

"I have brown rice with grilled chicken breast and greens; dark, dark greens," she told CBC News. She also supplied 24 muffins, 24 containers of energy drink and five pounds of bananas for her son to consume during the climb.

Albrecht has always been determined, according to his mother, who noted her son had extra motivation for the climb — he had wanted to raise $10,000 dollars for the Shelter Foundation, a charity that provides safe homes for women and children.

"Getting up to 10 was tough because I really had to think about why I was doing it, and knowing my goal was motivated by the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, a good cause," said Albrecht.

He raised more than $4,300 by the end of the run, but is still collecting donations on his website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ecord-set.html

Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #22
Dat
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

damn, that's ridiculous.
Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
I don't even think I could do 2 in a row...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #24

Sure its great....but it sounds like the acheivement was more of a self-promo..u know, real estate. Theres guys that do the grouse grind with ease.....im sure they can do it too....if they wanted to just for the hell of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

crazy
l4d2_sarge is offline   Reply With Quote