REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #26
Banned (BBM)

I agree to a certain extent. The only thing I don't like about it is that its another excuse for police to give out tickets on their discretion.
Advertisement
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Louder doesn't always mean faster. It's possible to go out and buy an exhaust system that will give you the performance you want, and stay within striking distance of the law.

I don't think this will be a means for cops to 'target' modified cars, though I won't be surprised if unnecessary noise citations get tacked onto speeding tickets etc. Hell, it's not even a new law. I've had an unnecessary noise violation before, this was like 5 years ago now.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Don't drive in a manner that attracts attention, and I bet the police won't bother you.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #29
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Don't drive in a manner that attracts attention, and I bet the police won't bother you.
This is true, 100%.

I may drive one of the loudest cars in Victoria, but I never drive like an ass or rev the crap out of my engine in town.

I know its loud so I pussy foot it everywhere other then the highway. I've driven by cops and they haven't said anything (though I clutch in :P)

Maybe I'm just really really lucky ;P
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #30
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Hahaha, oh Victoria. We must be the richest city in BC with property taxes, pay parking and traffic fine revenue.

I wouldn't worry about it guys, it's a dumb law, and it's gonna be randomly enforced. The rule was obviously put through to make a bunch of whiny elderfolk happy. most cops are nice. Just watch out for the IRSU guys, that's where they send all the super by the book boneheads who grow "authority moustaches".
94 JDM GC8
FS:
91 Sambar truck 20k kms. $5800 pm for details.
93 Supercharged Sambar Dias Van 5k kms$7200
h0tSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
impound car for loud exhaust eh.. damn..
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tSX View Post
Hahaha, oh Victoria. We must be the richest city in BC with property taxes, pay parking and traffic fine revenue.

I wouldn't worry about it guys, it's a dumb law, and it's gonna be randomly enforced. The rule was obviously put through to make a bunch of whiny elderfolk happy. most cops are nice. Just watch out for the IRSU guys, that's where they send all the super by the book boneheads who grow "authority moustaches".
The noise laws have been around for a long time, the police are simply starting to enforce it mostly at the request of downtown residents and businesses.

I'm in my mid 20s and while I can tolerate traffic noise in and out of the city where I live, it's not very fun to be woken up by fart canon mufflters in the middle of the night.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleemer View Post
This is true, 100%.

I may drive one of the loudest cars in Victoria, but I never drive like an ass or rev the crap out of my engine in town.

I know its loud so I pussy foot it everywhere other then the highway. I've driven by cops and they haven't said anything (though I clutch in :P)

Maybe I'm just really really lucky ;P
It's funny how when I am laying in bed I can tell when some of the folks with loud cars are trying to be quiet when taking off at the lights outside. But I can still hear them
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

We were discussing this at work the other day, and an interesting thought came up regarding the 'loud pipes save lives' argument. Of all the guys you see and hear with the loud pipes, how many of them are wearing skull cap helmets, no leathers, no signals, no visi vest, and are splitting lanes? All but one maybe? It's an interesting argument, but in general terms, the guys who ride the safest tend to be on quieter bikes. The ones claiming more noise is a safety issue are ignoring so many of the basic rider safety rules it negates their argument.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #35
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

good point. i think some of those should become mandatory for riding a bike. there are even airbag vests/jackets available for bikers now.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #36
Banned (BBM)

Anyone have a link to the specifics to the law? As to how you can "fight" it regarding engine size, displacement, type and turbo etc.

I'm hoping 2 strokes have a louder DB then most cars... (gogo rotary :P)

Just a heads up, but cops in esquimault have been staking out Action motorcycles. Stopping "loud bikes" with non stock exhaust. I was told that they are looking for anything that stands out form normal traffic, EI modified cars, and giving tickets and inspections.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

I am so sick of these exhaust questions. If u have a loud car u are going to be pulled over sooner or later, deal with it!
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #38
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsdeman View Post
I am so sick of these exhaust questions. If u have a loud car u are going to be pulled over sooner or later, deal with it!
Loud is relative. I'm just worried about the rumors I hear about cars being ticketed if they have non stock exhaust. My car isn't loud, and has a nice idle. Its only loud if I open the throttle past 1/3. So I can drive it around and not get noticed (have been for a year now)

If I do get a ticket, I want to be able to defend myself if I feel it is unjust/unfair or wrong. Just curious of it is now just up to the police officers interpretation.