REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   WTF (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577867-wtf.html)

civtehc 06-02-2009 04:21 PM

WTF

whats this i hear about fines for "loud" exhausts in town, and get caught a second time get impounded? some input

Dentz 06-02-2009 05:37 PM

Asfaik, there's no defined limit for what's loud and what isn't under our law. It's all up to the officer's opinion.

Elevorett 06-02-2009 10:54 PM

although,

Am I mistaken that in Vancouver police can use a device that measures the decibels of your exhaust and can fine you for excessive noise?

mr_baboon 06-02-2009 11:14 PM

We questioned a cop about this one Friday night at Timmys, and yes, the Saanich Police do have decibel meters, and yes, they will use them.

But it's still up to the officer's discretion.

Fleemer 06-02-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civtehc (Post 6448643)
whats this i hear about fines for "loud" exhausts in town, and get caught a second time get impounded? some input

where is this shown?

and what do they consider loud? Are they going to tackle harleys too? if not i'd protest! :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baboon (Post 6449310)
But it's still up to the officer's discretion.

Hasn't it allways been.... I mean, how else could a 87 mazda 323 be street racing a rx7 and 180sx :P (actually happened, tried to accuse us of street racing. Seriously, was in the wifes 4 door mazda wtf :P)

stevo911_ 06-03-2009 06:21 AM

its in the motor vehicle act, if you look in the police forum its been covered many a time, there is a set procedure for measuring the volume (1m back and 1m up from where the exhaust exits or something like that) and cars are limited to 87db, light trucks to 89db, and motorcycles to 91db (or something around there)

m1ataman 06-03-2009 08:50 AM

Except Harleys for some reason. They seem to be exempt.

civtehc 06-03-2009 09:07 AM

i herd this yesterday around 5 on the radio,that Victoria police will be targeting modified cars with loud exhausts and issuing 109$ fines the first time and if caught a second time they will be impounded, due to the large amounts of noise complaints directed toward import cars

Enraged 06-03-2009 10:00 AM

nothing like spending tax dollars on another useless task.

Great68 06-03-2009 01:50 PM

The loud harleys are WAY more annoying, and it seems like there's WAY more of them.

Enraged 06-03-2009 01:56 PM

the thing is, most harley riders in victoria are respectable mid-life crisis semi-retirees, while most import drivers are young ignorant kids that street race.

or at least thats how most people see it.

Great68 06-03-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6450124)
the thing is, most harley riders in victoria are respectable mid-life crisis semi-retirees, while most import drivers are young ignorant kids that street race.

or at least thats how most people see it.

I hear more than my fair share of harleys BLAAAAAAAAAAPPPing up hillside from my bedroom window. It gets freaking annoying, I can't sleep with the window open, and I'm not close to hillside. They always seem like they just HAVE to give their bike full throttle to get moving.

I hear fart-pounders too but not near as many as harleys.

jigga250 06-03-2009 06:11 PM

come on guys, its not like theres a drug/homeless problem in this town or anything:rolleyes:

sebberry 06-03-2009 06:17 PM

The only ones who should be pissed off at this are the ones whos cars are so loud they are pissing people off who are trying to sleep. Not everyone lives on a quiet residential street away from the main roads.

AFAIK, there is no set procedure for measuring the noise limits outlined in the MVA.

stevo911_ 06-03-2009 07:28 PM

^nevermind, the procedure bit was something some other member posted up, not in the MVA and here's what it actually has to say:

Quote:

Vehicle noise

27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.

The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.

When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.

[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]

Table 3

[am. B.C. Reg. 656/76, s. 2.]
Class of Vehicle Maximum Allowable
Sound Pressure Level
DBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

Enraged 06-04-2009 07:30 AM

"The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise."

so what if you have more horsepower, ie a 500hp modified car vs a 200hp stock car? can your car be louder? :lol

Victoria SiR 06-04-2009 08:45 AM

:cry:

ness_71 06-04-2009 09:40 AM

Bikes ARE included. There was a harley guy on the news yesterday saying it's a safety issue if people can't HEAR you pull up beside them.. I loled.
They are enforcing the noise issue because of all the complaints they've been getting, at least they are doing something that involves listening to the people. People bitch about everything here, if you don't like it then leave.

ostampflee 06-04-2009 10:48 AM

Man, I must be getting old... I'm agreeing with the cops on this one.

ChrisStang 06-04-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleemer (Post 6449348)
where is this shown?

and what do they consider loud? Are they going to tackle harleys too? if not i'd protest! :P

It is specified in the MVA, and there are different limits for bikes. Doh, disregard, someone already mentioned this.. :(

ChrisStang 06-04-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6451109)
"The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise."

so what if you have more horsepower, ie a 500hp modified car vs a 200hp stock car? can your car be louder? :lol

My Lighting can be pretty loud then... Fart can Hondas are in trouble though.

Enraged 06-04-2009 12:05 PM

or you can just run a nice quiet exhaust system.... with electric cutouts.

stevo911_ 06-04-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ness_71 (Post 6451298)
Bikes ARE included. There was a harley guy on the news yesterday saying it's a safety issue if people can't HEAR you pull up beside them.. I loled.
They are enforcing the noise issue because of all the complaints they've been getting, at least they are doing something that involves listening to the people. People bitch about everything here, if you don't like it then leave.

theres alotta people that believe loud pipes save lives, hell the san diego (or san francisco cant remember which) police department equipped all their bikes with loud exhausts for this reason. To a degree it makes a little sense since from my observations bikes are more difficult to see (even when directly in your line of sight). but its still retarded, spend your money on a better horn and a proper riders training program

civtehc 06-04-2009 05:24 PM

bottom line should be a saftey issue, should it matter if a car, truck or bike is loud? yes people complain but they've made a point of directing there attention to modified cars with loud exhausts, not 20 year old cars with mufflers falling off or unsafe brakes, my car isn't even loud, personally i can't stand loud cars but my car does fit the description of modified and i know i take the chance of getting pulled over for being flashy, but i mean there are far more important things to be looking for than loud cars. I see my fare share of unsafe cars come though my work and wonder how they even maneged to make it in

xsteinbachx 06-04-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisStang (Post 6451447)
My Lighting can be pretty loud then... Fart can Hondas are in trouble though.

I farted as I read this.