REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Do you eat right before you work out? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577897-do-you-eat-right-before-you-work-out.html)

Timpo 06-02-2009 08:38 PM

Do you eat right before you work out?

Some people say that you shouldn't eat right before you work out...

when your stomach is full, wait for 2 hours then work out.

but I don't like doing any excercise when I'm hungry so I always eat. Is it a bad idea?

B-DiZzLe 06-02-2009 08:47 PM

I eat before I workout because I always have quite a tight schedule. I wake up, eat breakfast, go to the gym, shower up, and then it's time for work. So I can't really just wait a couple hours before going to the gym.

A lot of my friends can't eat before they workout they said they feel too bloated but if I don't eat before I work out I tend to feel dizzy during my workout.

Honestly I don't think it affects my workout by eating before, mind you I do get around 30-40 minutes from when I eat to my first exercise (getting dressed 5mins, brushing up 5 mins, driving 10-15minutes, stretching 5-10minutes).

RayBot 06-02-2009 08:55 PM

i eat 2 hours minimum prior to gym or hockey. My system will make me puke if i eat earlier than that prior to my physical stuff.

SkinnyPupp 06-02-2009 09:10 PM

No there's no real need (if by "workout" you mean lifting weights). I do sometimes take a whey shake with me, but water is enough. I have plenty of energy to last for my ass-kicking 30-40 minutes, and I don't want to interfere with my protein/insulin spike right after the workout. Generally, you don't want to have too much insulin going during a workout, but right after.

However, for hard gainers, it is recommended to plan pre-workout and post-workout nutrition.

Berzerker 06-02-2009 09:17 PM

I eat before and then shake after. I am a hard gainer. I need all the help I can get.

Berz out.

BlackV62K2 06-02-2009 09:29 PM

I eat a couple hours before hitting the gym. Then a shake afterwards.

abinga 06-02-2009 09:50 PM

If you eat right before working out, you will lose a lot of blood flow that is needed for the muscles to grow. Your body will redirect blood to your digestive system, so you can digest the food vs directing it to the muscles in use.

hal0g0dv2 06-02-2009 09:54 PM

i eat at like 4, carbs and protien, then work out at 5ish, just take a 2L of water with you

B-DiZzLe 06-02-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBite (Post 6449115)
If you eat right before working out, you will lose a lot of blood flow that is needed for the muscles to grow. Your body will redirect blood to your digestive system, so you can digest the food vs directing it to the muscles in use.

So how long do you suggest? Hmm I don't find a problem with muscle growth, I have more of a problem with my stamina.

hal0g0dv2 06-02-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6449170)
So how long do you suggest? Hmm I don't find a problem with muscle growth, I have more of a problem with my stamina.

i find a hour is perfect throw some fat and veggies in also for stamina maybe

abinga 06-03-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6449170)

It comes hand in hand. Your body is taking energy to digest. Have your food at the latest, 1.5 hrs before the gym. Then have your shake post workout.

SkinnyPupp 06-03-2009 06:15 AM

If your body needed that much energy to digest, we would be a pretty inefficient species. The basic idea is right (don't go to the gym stuffed with food) but it's for other reasons (sympathetic system) not "energy to digest". Although in a way, I guess it's correct. Just expected more detailed info from a trainer ;)

diesel_test 06-03-2009 07:46 AM

for performance, eat an hour before working out.

for fat-loss, protein only or empty stomach before working out.

hamsup 06-03-2009 08:22 AM

i eat about 1.5 hours before the gym... but i do alot of cardio.. and eating right before cardio makes me feel a bit sick !!!!!!

abinga 06-03-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6449556)
If your body needed that much energy to digest, we would be a pretty inefficient species. The basic idea is right (don't go to the gym stuffed with food) but it's for other reasons (sympathetic system) not "energy to digest". Although in a way, I guess it's correct. Just expected more detailed info from a trainer ;)

I don't have time for detailed answers at 5am :p

The body routes blood to muscles being used for work. When you are digesting, 65%(if I recall correctly) of your blood is routed primarily to your digestive system. So you are left with 35% blood flow to the rest of the body during this period. This is one of the reasons people feel tired from eating. Digesting will take the length of your workout or longer. You are not going to be as efficient as you are post digestion and you miss out on a lot of nutrients going to your targeted muscles. The digestive system is more detailed than eating and shitting ;) I wish I kept the chart from when I was studying human kinetics to post up.

hope that was a better answer! cheers

RRxtar 06-03-2009 02:38 PM

when i eat bad chinese food with a hangover im quite confident my digestive system only consists of eating and shitting.

..... anyways.. I usually eat dinner by 6:30pm and Im at the gym for 8:30pm. so 2 hours for me. anything over 1 hour seems to be fine. and 3 hours would be too long as Id be hungry again by then.

on the same note, dont have sex before you goto the gym either. or even rub one out for that matter. that seems to have more of a negative impact than what and when you eat.

abinga 06-03-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 6450180)
when i eat bad chinese food with a hangover im quite confident my digestive system only consists of eating and shitting.

..... anyways.. I usually eat dinner by 6:30pm and Im at the gym for 8:30pm. so 2 hours for me. anything over 1 hour seems to be fine. and 3 hours would be too long as Id be hungry again by then.

on the same note, dont have sex before you goto the gym either. or even rub one out for that matter. that seems to have more of a negative impact than what and when you eat.

lol I agree on both. Your testosterone will be at a lower level if you have sex or fap.

B-DiZzLe 06-03-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBite (Post 6450307)
lol I agree on both. Your testosterone will be at a lower level if you have sex or fap.

OH NO FUCKING WONDER, I FAP RIGHT BEFORE WORKOUT! GOD DAMN thx for this :D

Timpo 06-05-2009 03:08 PM

thanks for all the replys! :D