REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

ICBC help plz

So my restoration project has been involved in an accident. I've put about 8 grand into parts for it, and five years work. How ever I've put no money into the body so far and it has a fair amount of rust. So naturally it's been determined a write off. ICBC has requested receipts for my aftermarket parts. I imagine it's to determine how much money they give me. So my understanding is I have 2 options. A) I buy my car back following the claim, or B) I refuse the claim and take my car. This is my first time doing this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Chrisco242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
I am on the internets

my coworker's wife crashed his modified Accord - he got all the money that he put into the car, back, plus the car's value itself. He had all receipts and documentation to prove it though. Don't take your car back, try to get as much out of ICBC as possible.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

How bad of an accident?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
just keep the car
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

you can settle for the cost of the claim and keep the car
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

I hate it when you hear a person who spent close to 5 years+ of their blood, sweat etc into a car and see it written off for it's value.

Any experiences with labour being paid-out if it wasn't a paid labour (like at a shop)?

I guess the real winners are the vansky-like kids who get mommy and daddy to pay for all their parts and pay get it installed at shops
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

never put all your eggs in one basket. if you buy a mint car, one of a kind, don't expect it to be a mint accident-less virgin forever. every time you go out on the road, no matter how careful you are, you're exposed to several near-accidents a month (at least). if you invest a lot of time into a car, or get a mint one of a kind car thats never had an accident, just track it or bring it to shows. if your time is valuable to you dont bother risking it out on the streets
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
never put all your eggs in one basket. if you buy a mint car, one of a kind, don't expect it to be a mint accident-less virgin forever. every time you go out on the road, no matter how careful you are, you're exposed to several near-accidents a month (at least). if you invest a lot of time into a car, or get a mint one of a kind car thats never had an accident, just track it or bring it to shows. if your time is valuable to you dont bother risking it out on the streets
You might almost call that wasting a car.

As much as I agree with your probability statement, there are almost always ways to avoid that.

Before my huge accident in sept, i never had an accident on any of my cars that wasn't caused by me directly.

Just driving safely, and learning how to AVOID those situations are a huge part of it. My accident in sept was purely unavoidable because the douchebag piled through without the right of way.

Unless he's got a showcar that's dedicated and a DD, it's gonna be pretty tough to delimit one fro mthe other.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
cant u just take the settlement then buy it back for alot cheaper?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Well I got the car back. Refused the claim. Bought a used fender painted the same colour for $200. Time for a wire tuck. My parts car has a replacement turn signal and headlight bezel. After closer inspection I can't find any other damage. I don't understand How they determined it was a write off. But since there's now no claim, my insurance doesn't go up.
Chrisco242 is offline   Reply With Quote