REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Make/model emblems, mandatory? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578223-make-model-emblems-mandatory.html)

HavoK041 06-05-2009 02:36 PM

Make/model emblems, mandatory?

Hello I'm brand new on revscene, I joined mostly because I'd like to browse the classifieds regarding parts for my 2001 Honda Prelude SE.

My question is this: Are people legally required to have the OEM brand/model markings, emblems and badges displayed on their car? Or is it legal to take them all off?

Blinky 06-05-2009 11:12 PM

AFAIK there is no restriction on removing make/model badges etc.

Don't screw around with the VIN though.

skidmark 06-07-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6453608)

This is good advice.

zulutango 06-08-2009 08:43 AM

If you have no badging to identify the car...or have substituted badges from another car to make it look "cooler"...yes I DID stop a Fiero with a Ferrari 308 body kit on it...you may find yourself at roadside for a while till the Cop is satisfied that he has the right vehicle named on the resgistration.....wich is nothing when compared with the scorn from fellow drivers who know your Sprint with a Lambo door kit, is NOT a Lambo!

HavoK041 06-08-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6453608)

Yes I'm not an idiot :) thanks for the info.

And no, I'm not contemplating putting another car's emblems on mine to make it look "cooler", just taking some off.
That's hilarious about the Fiero with Ferrari markings.

Inaii 06-08-2009 02:27 PM

Not as bad as the neon with the Ferrari emblems imo.

Other than the two rx7 badges on the sides, my car is de-badged (previous owner). My brother's fc is also de-badged. Never had a problem with it, even when we were stopped.

stutterr 06-09-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6456218)
If you have no badging to identify the car...or have substituted badges from another car to make it look "cooler"...yes I DID stop a Fiero with a Ferrari 308 body kit on it...you may find yourself at roadside for a while till the Cop is satisfied that he has the right vehicle named on the resgistration.....wich is nothing when compared with the scorn from fellow drivers who know your Sprint with a Lambo door kit, is NOT a Lambo!

so the owner did not have the car registered as a kit car? With such drastic body modifications would he not have to have the vehicle inspected and re-registered as a kit car? I could imagine the hassle and headache that would cause to have to deal with that. Surrey must be full of those bondo-wannabe-abominations..

vash13 06-09-2009 07:58 PM

Only thing I see problematic with debadging is if you get towed. The tow truck driver might not be sure whether your car will be AWD or FWD since there is no badging.

zulutango 06-09-2009 08:45 PM

There was a company that sold the conversion kits. Just outer body panels...different fenders, trunk, hood etc. Not big enough a mod to require a re-inspection. Not much different than the body kits available now for Ricers.

AVS_Racing 06-10-2009 01:29 AM

just wondering what if your car is debaged and u get a parking ticket and its made out incorrectly (make, model) is it still valid?

vash13 06-10-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 6459219)
just wondering what if your car is debaged and u get a parking ticket and its made out incorrectly (make, model) is it still valid?

.... parking tickets are made to your license plate not year and model of the car. :confused:

HavoK041 06-11-2009 12:13 PM

Cool thanks for all the info guys.

optiblue 06-13-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash13 (Post 6458685)
Only thing I see problematic with debadging is if you get towed. The tow truck driver might not be sure whether your car will be AWD or FWD since there is no badging.

That's why mine stay on! not taking the risk! :thumbsup:

r.attack 06-13-2009 08:45 AM

why is it that you need to take them off.. i mean i understand that it looks cool and i know you're not purposely trying to do anything bad/illegal/whatever

my point is that what if someone were to get hit and run ( i dont mean by you) by a car with removed badges/improper badges like a g35 with the skyline badge on it and then they go to describe the car to the police... well it was a nissan skyline.....yeah those are two completely different cars.....

Sp0r3 06-13-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.attack (Post 6463893)
why is it that you need to take them off.. i mean i understand that it looks cool and i know you're not purposely trying to do anything bad/illegal/whatever

my point is that what if someone were to get hit and run ( i dont mean by you) by a car with removed badges/improper badges like a g35 with the skyline badge on it and then they go to describe the car to the police... well it was a nissan skyline.....yeah those are two completely different cars.....

If it happens to you, I doubt you will try to read the detail info on the car instead of the obvious ones. So lets say a white G35 with Nissan and Skyline badge. That car did a hit and run on your car. Most people will just call it a "white import sedan with license plate xxx xxx". Only those that knows about cars will be able to identify cars by make and model.

Soundy 06-15-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

why is it that you need to take them off..

So your GT-R drivin' buddies won't know you're actually rolling an AE86 :D

Great68 06-15-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

why is it that you need to take them off..

Why is the sky blue?

Some people don't like extraneous pieces of plastic and trim on their car, they like things to look clean.

!SG 06-15-2009 10:35 AM

haha, i can see you writting on the ticket right now under the "make and model section"

LAMBORG... (scratched out)

Nope, just another Sprint (in replaced writting)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6456218)

r.attack 06-15-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp0r3 (Post 6464445)
If it happens to you, I doubt you will try to read the detail info on the car instead of the obvious ones. So lets say a white G35 with Nissan and Skyline badge. That car did a hit and run on your car. Most people will just call it a "white import sedan with license plate xxx xxx". Only those that knows about cars will be able to identify cars by make and model.

well put i guess that is true.. i guess im just not a fan of people renaming their cars something else

and as long as you've still got the license plate you're good... although then there are the real dummies who get rid of that too

Soundy 06-15-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6466626)
haha, i can see you writting on the ticket right now under the "make and model section"

LAMBORG... (scratched out)

Nope, just another Sprint (in replaced writting)

How the hell do you get a speeding ticket in a Sprint???

You know, I bought a Sprint once.

Well... I didn't actually BUY it... it came in a Happy Meal.

Truenosan 06-15-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash13 (Post 6458685)

If those certain tow drivers would take two seconds to look under the car, they would be able to see the layout of the car, its plain and simple.

If unsure, just have all 4 wheels off the road when towing.

stutterr 06-15-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenosan (Post 6467274)
If those certain tow drivers would take two seconds to look under the car, they would be able to see the layout of the car, its plain and simple.

If unsure, just have all 4 wheels off the road when towing.

You would think someone who tows cars for a living would know what car is AWD, RWD, and FWD......or as buddy said just take a look for the drive shaft or front transfer case..its pretty dam obvious..

zulutango 06-16-2009 06:26 AM

Straight rear axle and no drive shaft = FWD. Even some of the tow truck drivers I have met can figure THAT out.

stutterr 06-16-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6467985)
Straight rear axle and no drive shaft = FWD. Even some of the tow truck drivers I have met can figure THAT out.

yeaaaaa....how many people drive around straight rear axle???

wing_woo 06-16-2009 08:25 AM

Some cars actually have a tag on the dash to indicate it's AWD. The Mazdaspeed6 has that on it's dash to let tow truck drivers know that it's AWD and that it should be towed on a flatbed.