REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

What it takes to become an actor?

I dont know but sometimes, I think I have what it takes to be a successful actor. I regret that I never took any acting classes before, and I want to make sure I am not missing anything. Is there such class in the lower mainland that can test my potential talent or interest in my position?
Advertisement
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
connections.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
if your asian you have no chance in hell.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

thats not very encouraging. i know quite a few successful actors who were raised here and are performing in HK and Western films.
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
if your asian you have no chance in hell.
LOL depends. If you want to make it in HK we all know talent has nothing to do with it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
if ur asian go make urself big in HK, a lot of people are "schooled" in canada and then goes back/to HK and goes famous
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,050 Times in 551 Posts
or.. if you are a girl.. it makes it somewhat..a lot easier? xD
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
I guess they gotta give better head to make it.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
PM Jason00S2000, maybe he can put you in one of his films.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

write and try directing a short movie/film or show on your own or with some friends

that's how those guys from always sunny were noticed
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

ahh...this is a topic i feel i can relate to...always wondered to.

But its true of every single answer here thus far...inc giving head. So much connections involved that its not funny. So not funny like Seth Rogen, speaking of which, i have no clue why he he makes it on blockbuster roles. Stuff like this pisses me off.

I have a few friends that are actors, and they've been in schooling for musical and stage.....and even though they want to get into film, their credentials for schooling doesn't mean JACK!!

Theres so much politics as well behind it...and then it narrows down to the marketability factor, ie, what are your assets as an actor, and will it fit to your stereotype. If you're an asian person, you better know martial arts!! And when i mean martial arts...i don't mean MMA, i mean stuff that will really cool on camera. If movies has taught me anything, an asian male in movies is only good for three things, kicking and screaming, being gangsters, or being laughed at.

If you want to test yourself on your potential, heres a couple things. Check out the improv on granville island. You think you can do what they can do off top of their head? You may have the potential to be an actor. Granville Island Improv Sports also have classess which i have taken an interest to, but never got off actually had the guts to do. This improv stuff pretty much makes a lot of actors....not just memorizing and reprising a script....kinda like making it your own scene. Because a lot of auditions for movies are like that.

Check out a youtube video....unfortunately i can't provide the link with this shitty computer i am using. Search Russel Brand Audtion Forgetting Sarah Marshall. You'll see russel brand doing an audition where he has no script but has to come up with something funny off the top of their head. If you can do stuff like that....then pursue further
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
connections.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,050 Times in 551 Posts
just be super popular on youtube.. and keep making short films/ xD
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Resident Bullshitter

move to hollywood
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #15

i wanna sign up for supporting cast. Like whenever they need someone to walk around in the street. Or a newspaper vender who the main caharacter buy newspaper from. Things like that.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
i wanna sign up for supporting cast. Like whenever they need someone to walk around in the street. Or a newspaper vender who the main caharacter buy newspaper from. Things like that.

You mean 'Extras?'
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
as a serious reply, you could try going back to Asia (assuming you're Asian to begin with).

kids who grow up in North America have a tendency to become more successful back in Asia because people there get the idea that they've been pre-selected to be successful.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Becoming an extra is pretty easy. Sometimes you just show up to a set and talk to one of the PA's (Production Assistants) and they'll often just point you in the right direction. Another way of doing it is signing up with an agency and going through them.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Be honest, are dreams of being an actor precipitated by the love of arts, or because you want to get caught up in the celebrity lifestyle?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #20

considering most actors starve looking for work....i say its the love of the arts.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
first of all, if you want to be an extra, you really need to have a lot of money. You sort of need to quit your job where you can be standby. I mean, say you have to be a scene as an extra. You might have to wait for a good 4 hrs, before u are going to be in a scene for 5 mins. and then wait another 3 hours. you get paid and all and there's tons of fun people and food but I can't see how a guy will get to take a full day off their full day's work to do that.

take classes. You need to learn how to act, period. I mean, you have to know for the basics. I can't see how a person who has never had an experiences go thru an audition successfully.

You might not be ever famous but a guy, say "ING direct" guy / rogers guy, makes decent coin even though he does a few commercials every few months. It's just really luck that you get picked.

I mean, do go chase after your dream. have fun with it. you get to meet a lot of fun people. there's a lot of local production. my friend has been consistently involved for a long time. GREAT pay, but you need to manage your expenses.

romeo must die: jet li is so so so quiet
I-robot: filming under the UBC pool with the car being underwater
Tron 2: for all those nerds u shoudl know what it is
a lot more other productions but yeah, my friends loves the parties but also a lot of drugs... ahahahha
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
first of all, if you want to be an extra, you really need to have a lot of money. You sort of need to quit your job where you can be standby. I mean, say you have to be a scene as an extra. You might have to wait for a good 4 hrs, before u are going to be in a scene for 5 mins. and then wait another 3 hours. you get paid and all and there's tons of fun people and food but I can't see how a guy will get to take a full day off their full day's work to do that.

take classes. You need to learn how to act, period. I mean, you have to know for the basics. I can't see how a person who has never had an experiences go thru an audition successfully.

You might not be ever famous but a guy, say "ING direct" guy / rogers guy, makes decent coin even though he does a few commercials every few months. It's just really luck that you get picked.

I mean, do go chase after your dream. have fun with it. you get to meet a lot of fun people. there's a lot of local production. my friend has been consistently involved for a long time. GREAT pay, but you need to manage your expenses.

romeo must die: jet li is so so so quiet
I-robot: filming under the UBC pool with the car being underwater
Tron 2: for all those nerds u shoudl know what it is
a lot more other productions but yeah, my friends loves the parties but also a lot of drugs... ahahahha
Damn, I didnt know being an extra requires so much time. I was expecting something like a part-time job.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

you must give great head. this applies whether you are a boy or a girl. period.

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #24
Resident Bullshitter

easiest way has to be applying for the acting class by tvb. once graduated, you'll get small roles in those tvb drama
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
ahh...this is a topic i feel i can relate to...always wondered to.

If you're an asian person, you better know martial arts!! And when i mean martial arts...i don't mean MMA, i mean stuff that will really cool on camera. If movies has taught me anything, an asian male in movies is only good for three things, kicking and screaming, being gangsters, or being laughed at.
exampe... john cho in Star Trek! since when the hell did sulu do all that fancy fighting?
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote