REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Place to shop for groceries? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578423-best-place-shop-groceries.html)

chileanwinehous 06-07-2009 09:52 PM

Best Place to shop for groceries?

I just moved to new Westminster and Im looking for the best bang for my buck when It comes to buying fruits,veggies,meat,bread. Is there local markets in the area? Im forced to buy at Safeway because its walking distance. Their prices are ridiculous. Im new to cooking rice and I would also like to know what is the most affordable and tasty rice to buy.

Im willing to make the trip to richmond if the prices are better there.

thanks!

SumAznGuy 06-07-2009 10:52 PM

Safeway is going to be the most expensive place to buy fruits and veggies.
Not sure where in New West you are, but for the freshest produce, you can take a look at Langley Farm Market. They have one near Kingsway and 10th ave I believe.
I think there might be a Kins Farm or 2 near you as well.

If you can drive to Ditchmond, try Cho's farm inside Aberdeen or Supermarket 2000 in the same mini mall as the second Jack's loft.

All these stores have good turn over so the produce is pretty fresh, and their prices are reasonable.

keifun 06-07-2009 11:20 PM

Try Save on Foods ...the closest one I can think of to New West is the one on kingsway at highgate village, which is pretty much near the boundary btwn burnaby and new west.

Marioo1991 06-08-2009 10:24 AM

SUPERSTORE

can't go wrong with the prices there..

Meowjin 06-08-2009 12:31 PM

if your willing to drive out to richmond, 2 road and blundell.

butcher and farmers market right next door to eachotehr.

get the lamb chops 2 dollars a piece can't go wrong.

SiR001 06-08-2009 12:52 PM

produce - Langley Farm Market....or Kin's Farm Market in City Square New West.

for other goods, not too sure except for IGA near the bottom of 12th or Safeway

hamsup 06-08-2009 12:55 PM

Red Apple on east hastings has great and cheap produce

I also shop at costco for boxed salads and pineapples..

racerman88 06-21-2009 09:19 AM

Superstore if you don't mind the lineups. WE go to the one in RIchmond over the one in Metrotown due to fresher produce

Senna4ever 06-21-2009 12:21 PM

The Q?

murd0c 06-21-2009 01:40 PM

Costco is the best place or Super Wallamrt

Tapioca 06-22-2009 02:09 PM

There's a difference between groceries and produce. Superstore isn't a good place to shop for veggies, fruits, etc. because usually prices are higher and the quality much lower than what you would get at a mom-and-pop market. I will admit that they have the occasional good deal on grapes or something like that (1.29/lb), but in general, I would stay away from that place if buying just produce. Save-on and Safeway's produce is better, but again, the prices are higher unless they have specials.

Langley Farm Market is an excellent place, particularly if you catch something on sale. I miss the location at Metrotown as the New West one is a little far for me. They regularly have seasonal produce at prices that are cheaper than the competition. Kin's has good produce as well, though I find that it is pricier than the equivalent at Langley Farm Market.

vwdarling 06-26-2009 01:20 PM

Superstore is not too far from where you are so I'd go there for most of my groceries... tbere's also a Costco just on Production Way in Burnaby... you can't go wrong with Costco! The membership is worth it!

vancitysale 07-02-2009 04:53 PM

if you live in the west end check out dennis' on denman behind the shoppers drug mart... they are owned by the same company as superstore

Liquid_o2 07-03-2009 11:29 AM

Superstore is great for everything aside from produce. For produce go to a farm market.

2damaxmr2 07-03-2009 02:48 PM

costco or walmart supercenter.

quasi 07-06-2009 01:55 PM

Like most have said superstore is the best for boxed, canned, condiments and things like that. Fruit and Vegetables from the fruit/veggie markets and meat from the butcher is the way to go IMO no matter what city you live in.

Superstores regular prices are equal to or less then Safeway and Save on Foods sale prices. IGA is completely retarded when it comes to pricing you'd have to be nuts to shop there regularly for groceries.

achiam 07-17-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileanwinehous (Post 6455816)
I just moved to new Westminster and Im looking for the best bang for my buck when It comes to buying fruits,veggies,meat,bread. Is there local markets in the area? Im forced to buy at Safeway because its walking distance. Their prices are ridiculous. Im new to cooking rice and I would also like to know what is the most affordable and tasty rice to buy.

Im willing to make the trip to richmond if the prices are better there.

thanks!

For rice, get Thai Jasmine AAA grade rice, and buy from Rice World in Richmond (Garden City Way) or any place in Chinatown - you can get a massive 20KG sack for like $30ish that will last a family of 4 about half a year, 2 meals a day.