REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Mazda Tech Resources

Mazda Tech Resources All Mazda Tech info
THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Long Shot

I know we don't have many rotary guys on here (and the ones we do have are on the other rotary sites and have probably already seen my post), but I was hoping maybe one of the mechanics on here could lend me a hand.

My fuel gauge (1983 GSL mazda RX7) is broken. It says that I have 3/4-full tank of gas all the time. This is not the case (as a friend and I found out a couple weekends ago on the highway). Other than the sender unit, the wiring the gauge body or the gauge itself, is there anything else that could cause this? Also, what is the easiest route to take to test for each of these. I can't take it to a shop as I'm in the midst of moving out and am extremely strapped for cash.

Suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? I looked on rx7club.com, found the FSM and am currently going through it, but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

TIA!
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I think you've basically named everything that can go wrong. My guess would be to first check the gauge to make sure nothing is sticking and possibly even temporarily swap in another cluster if someone has a spare kicking around. Just to try to rule that out first. It's relatively quick, easy, and the cheapest fix. If that doesn't solve it, drop the tank (or access it through the hole in the body, if the FB's have that ability) and swap in a new sender. Even if that's not the issue, it's always good to replace them every few years.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #3

A friend of mine is coming out next week to re-ground the tank. He's convinced that's the problem because his did the same thing. But the thing is, now the oil pressure isn't sensing properly either. So Morgan thinks it might be the sending units (whereas I think it's the gauge cluster). So I guess I'll just have him look at everything when he comes out (make his time worthwhile). But I'll definitely ask him about the fuel sender unit. Thanks Lomac =]

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The only reason why I suggest the sending unit is because after a bit of urban 4x4'ing last night (don't ask), we bashed the tail-end of my buddy's truck pretty hard, knocking some of the connections on the sending unit loose. We only noticed it when the fuel gauge needle stopped moving. A big V8 truck couldn't be getting that good of a fuel mileage.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #5

Hahahaha probably not. Morgan said the same thing as you, so I'll get him to check.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!