REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

local boot camps

i'm trying to get my gf to joing a bootcamp, and i might join as well just so she has someone to do it with

which ones are better than the others?

are they always outside using misc objects or do they ever go to the gym or weights?

i'm in fine shape but she's the one that needs to the help doing different exercises etc

are they good/bad?
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Check out Crossfit. I train at crossfit but weightlift more (not too be confused with bicep curls).

IMO- You will both have fun. SHe will have fun because it is challenging and you do different stuff than the usual fare. For example, climbing ropes, sledgehammers, and exercises that are more applicable to sports. And lots of squats and variations.

You'll dig it if you want more advanced stuff. Learn the kipping pull up, snatch, power clean, run with weighted vests etc.. Plyometrics, etc..

Most of the stuff is either done outside or in the facilites- which resembles more of a warehouse than a gym. Don't expect to find a bench press or any barbells.

The only downside, is the cost. Not too sure on the actual costs since I do not pay. Another great place but far- is Gators in Cloverdale.

Similar principles and decent. They run a circuit. I hate circuits but this kept my interest.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

i am not sure what they do at that 7day bootcamp that they advertise on the radio...but i saw what they do at the 'bootcamp' sessions they have at the local community centres here in richmond.

I dunno about the 7uday bootcamp...but if its the same thing (or similar) to the one at the community centres....its pretty lame. Its just an aerobic studio where u do basic excercises like push ups, sit ups, and steps with a person behind you yelling. Some people are into that....im definitely not.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

okay....after reading what Sas just posted...looks like i want to try that out.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
sas

Agreed. You have to be really careful with many of these "boot camps". Most of them suck and the majority of personal trainers are retarded.

I've too tried some Community ran boot camps. What a gong show. The fake yelling provided comedy though. Nothing even remotely close to my actual boot camp. Which was pretty fun actually.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
Check out Crossfit. I train at crossfit but weightlift more (not too be confused with bicep curls).

IMO- You will both have fun. SHe will have fun because it is challenging and you do different stuff than the usual fare. For example, climbing ropes, sledgehammers, and exercises that are more applicable to sports. And lots of squats and variations.

You'll dig it if you want more advanced stuff. Learn the kipping pull up, snatch, power clean, run with weighted vests etc.. Plyometrics, etc..

Most of the stuff is either done outside or in the facilites- which resembles more of a warehouse than a gym. Don't expect to find a bench press or any barbells.

The only downside, is the cost. Not too sure on the actual costs since I do not pay. Another great place but far- is Gators in Cloverdale.

Similar principles and decent. They run a circuit. I hate circuits but this kept my interest.
How'd you work it out so you don't pay?
kAzE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
sas

Quote:
How'd you work it out so you don't pay?
I only weightlift there man but I've done their W.O.D's for kicks here and there. BTW, The W.O.D's are posted daily and free. There is like, 3 Crossfits in the LM. West side, Vancouver and Surrey.

Don't think Westside has bumper plates.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #8

So they'll let you use the gym if you don't do their WODs and just do the oly movements?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
sas

Umm No. I know one of the Coaches. I guess my comments were a bit deceiving. If you are a Registered BC Weightlifter though, pm me and Ill see what I can do. And you don't need to use their facilities to complete the WOD.

Where do you do your O lifts now?

Last edited by sas; 06-09-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

I'm at the University of Alberta right now but when I'm in Vancouver I generally lift at Semi Weightlifting. It's a little far from my parents place though, so I'm looking for other alternatives for when I'm back in Vancouver. I'm close to SFU, but the last time I tried to get into the Varsity gym they told me that I could use it that one time and only that one time.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
sas

Pm'd you. Didn't want to hijack his thread
Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ok so bringing this back up

looking for a bootcamp for my gf

anyone heard of Urban Bootcamp in Coquitlam? http://www.urbanbootcamp.ca/page/Program.html
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote