REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #226
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
+1 on the learning curve. low speed riding on the 600 is going to be the biggest challenge when you start out. grab the front brakes a little too hard in a parking lot and bike's on the ground before you know it lol
Advertisement
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #227
I STILL don't get it

My gf and I finished our course at PRS a couple weeks ago, and she bought an R6 and is riding it fine. I'm using her bike whenever I can but for this week I've been using my buddies 09 GSXR-750. Like everyone said, respect the bike and you'll be fine.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #228
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
define "heavy" maintenance
i mean before it starts to become a money pit...i just want a general idea of many kms you can get out of the bike so that i know for when i want a bike
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #229
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
i mean before it starts to become a money pit...i just want a general idea of many kms you can get out of the bike so that i know for when i want a bike
I don't think bikes go through any kind of money pit maintenance other than maybe valve adjustments.

It will become a money pit for sure if/when you crash.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #230
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
i just started riding and got a gsxr 600, didnt want the hassle of having to buy a 250 and then having to sell it,
I dont mind going through that process of selling and buying another bike, if it means the best for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
i started off with a 600 and as charlie says, respect the bike and you will be fine. i found the 600 to be a steeper learning curve than on a 250.

just to be clear though, as much as you want to and many of us do, don't buy your bike based on looks. that is probably the greatest mistake of all.

better to look like a fool riding a 250 for a season or two and learn properly then ending up on the gravel riding a 600 and whatever consequences that may follow.

a 250 top speed is 170km/h. thats redlining on top gear, but it can easily do the 120km/h on highway. so unless you plan on getting your bike impounded, a 250 is fine for highway journeys.
I dont really mind much about looks, if it means i can become a better rider. A guy i know says hes gonna get a ZX-10R for his first bike....

I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes. The R6, Ninja 250, or the older CBR600F4i

Budget: ~4Gs for a bike, 1.5Gs for gear, 1G for Insurance, 900 bucks for PRS
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #231
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I have the F4i its very forgiving, that doesn't mean you won't or can't drop it though. Your list of bikes is a pretty weird option IMO, I mean from either R6, F4i to 250cc? That's like m3, a4, crx not really but you get the idea. R6 i read is harder to learn on than 600RR, is more agressive(mind you, that does not mean faster) and I heard was problematic and uncomfortable. Though comfort varies from rider to rider, you may be taller while others are shorter, torso height, etc etc. Though the daytime 675 is a lovely bike, but I've heard from everyone it's just stupid uncomfortable.
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #232
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

But yeah just remember respect the bike(don't showboat or do something you shouldn't), remember where you look is where you go(really fucking important!! Target fixation is everything) clutch before braking, don't put weight on your bars, always be relaxed and know your limit. Some don't wear gear, I don't know.... it's a risk but I mean I don't always wear a condom. So i cant judge lol

You'll probably suck going fast on turns at first like your rear tire will slide, took me a while to get the hang of it. Say you wanna turn right, push the bars left to turn right. That whole idea really messed with my head, and the harder you push the sharper your turn. But this is only on speeds above 25kmh
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by v.Rossi; 08-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #233

^

I kinda get that countersteering concept, it really works when your on a bike going down cambie at like 30kph

Edit: Wait a minute isn't it push left to lean left, push right to lean right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
I have the F4i its very forgiving, that doesn't mean you won't or can't drop it though. Your list of bikes is a pretty weird option IMO, I mean from either R6, F4i to 250cc? That's like m3, a4, crx not really but you get the idea. R6 i read is harder to learn on than 600RR, is more agressive(mind you, that does not mean faster) and I heard was problematic and uncomfortable. Though comfort varies from rider to rider, you may be taller while others are shorter, torso height, etc etc. Though the daytime 675 is a lovely bike, but I've heard from everyone it's just stupid uncomfortable.
Posted via RS Mobile
This list really kinda depends on what i feel after i take PRS,

maybe a 250cc if i feel like i cant handle all the power of an 600cc.
maybe an F4i if i feel like i can handle a 600, but want a lower end sportbike
the chance of an R6 is probably slim, i dont want to ruin my dreambike with my newbie skills.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #234

dont worry about the counter steering concept because it's something that comes naturally, and doesn't require any thought. but in short, you push left to go left and right to go right. but pushing right means the wheel will be turning left and vice versa, hence the term counter steering. anything with two wheels will counter steer if you're going fast enough, so if you know how to ride a bicycle then you won't have to worry about it on a motorcycle.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #235
I am Hook'd on RS

'best' beginner bike is probably a ninja250. but i started riding this June with an '03 CBR600RR and have had nothing but good times on it. it's easy to throw around and all the power is up top so if you're smooth on the throttle then it's nothing to worry about. same thing with brakes.. haven't had any incidents. before i get on a bike i make sure i'm in condition to focus on the ride otherwise i'll drive
JettaMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #236
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
^

I kinda get that countersteering concept, it really works when your on a bike going down cambie at like 30kph

Edit: Wait a minute isn't it push left to lean left, push right to lean right?

This list really kinda depends on what i feel after i take PRS,

maybe a 250cc if i feel like i cant handle all the power of an 600cc.
maybe an F4i if i feel like i can handle a 600, but want a lower end sportbike
the chance of an R6 is probably slim, i dont want to ruin my dreambike with my newbie skills.
Countersteering is just a concept you should keep at the back of your head. It'll become natural after your first 10 minutes of real riding if you're trained properly.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #237
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Think about it this way...If you drive your car and you turn your steering wheel to the left, you actually get pulled to the right by centrifugal force. The difference is that on a car, the outer wheels keep your car from leaning.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #238

Ok guys, quick update, i've gotten my L for motorcycles, borrowed my buddies' 08 Ninja 250 for a couple hours the other day. Might be because i havent been on the bike for that long, but the 250 feels really powerless. So i took that bike outta my list.

Now im looking at doing PRS ASAP and buying a 600cc bike. How is PRS in the winter? Should i just wait out until the spring, do prs, and start riding in the summer?

What do you guys think of this bike?Gixxer 600
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #239
I don't get it

My boss took the PRS course during the winter time around Novemberish and said it was okay but pretty cold. Id say just do it now if you have time. This is the perfect time to buy a bike since they are so cheap because its almost Winter. Good call on not getting the 250 but the plus side on that bike besides being a good learners bike is the cheap insurance. Theres a considerable difference between a 600 and 250 in terms of insurance but when you take the PRS course you learn on a 250. I bought an R6 right after the course and Ive been pretty confident on it. Im a short guy and I bought an R6, I sat on a gsxr 750 and a zx6r and found it a little easier since it was smaller as I could touch the ground with both feet almost ( im 5,5 ). I ended up buying a 1999 R6 since it fit my budget a little better and I got a hell of a deal on it. On the R6 I can only tippy toe on both sides when the bike is straight, I know its probably dangerous and I probably should get it lowered but ive gotten used to it lol.

Last edited by ali36; 10-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
ali36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Ok guys, quick update, i've gotten my L for motorcycles, borrowed my buddies' 08 Ninja 250 for a couple hours the other day. Might be because i havent been on the bike for that long, but the 250 feels really powerless. So i took that bike outta my list.

Now im looking at doing PRS ASAP and buying a 600cc bike. How is PRS in the winter? Should i just wait out until the spring, do prs, and start riding in the summer?

What do you guys think of this bike?Gixxer 600
i wouldn't take PRS during winter time since you wont be getting any practice until next season. take it during spring time and start riding right away. that way you won't forget anything.

as for the gixxer... i'd recommend you bring a friend who really knows their shit to look at the bike because there's a lot of stuff that needs to be checked when buying used bikes, nevermind a rebuilt one.

Last edited by CharlieH; 10-23-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #241

RS Sportbike inspection meet? jks

If anything I might look to do an inspection when I find a bike I'm serious on. I'm just lookin around for steal of the deals.
Any shop or place you recommend for inspections?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #242

I'm more than willing to come help you inspect the bike if I have time haha. 5th gear on westminster hwy is really good, and obviously any dealer would be good for an inspection as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #243
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
+1 to Bill @ 5th Gear

If you are looking for an older bike, Dave & Darcy @ Cypress Motorbike in Delta gets my pick.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #244
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Countersteering is just a concept you should keep at the back of your head. It'll become natural after your first 10 minutes of real riding if you're trained properly.
Hahaha. I was in Mexico last year and rode an ATV for the first time. For the first few minutes, I kept pushing left to turn left, and pushing right to turn right and ran into the bushes a couple times. I swear the tour guide thought I was a retard
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote