REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
How much do tattoos actually hurt?

I am planning to get the first letter of my name on my shoulder area... area opposite to the armpit? Since i heard this spot hurts the least.

My friend told me it did not hurt at all, but she is a girl so it may be different for guys and girls.

So how much does it really hurt relatively? I have had some painful experiences in the past.
Advertisement
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Imagine getting sliced with a razor blade over and over, about a thousand times each second for as long as it takes to get the tattoo. If someone said it didn't hurt, they are lying to you, or got a tiny little tattoo with no shading.

I admit, mine didn't hurt so bad at first, while he was doing the lines. In fact, it feels kind of good in between lines, when they wipe away the ink and blood, and add vaseline... I guess it appeals to my sadistic side But after about 6 hours when he was finishing up the shading, holy SHIT that shit hurt!

That said, you are just going to get ONE letter, and the shoulder is definitely less susceptible to pain than some body parts. So you'll be fine. They'll probably be done in half an hour.

After your first tattoo, you will crave the pain. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my next one.. I can't wait! Might be this winter, if I can save up for a trip and another huge painful session
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

it hurts but not enough to make you bitch out and not get it. when the artist does a long line on my arm holy crap i felt it and damn did it ever tingle badly. after a while it gets numb and it doesnt hurt at all, just dont think about it too much and talk to the artist or w/e to get your mind off it.

i think the part that hurt the most for me was my tricep because i have alot of meat there... also when we took few minute breaks and he started again.

Also like what skinnypup said once you get one you crave more!!!!
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Depends where the tattoo is. It can feel like razor blades, or like someone poking you with a sharp pencil. If its on bone, it'll hurt. If its on muscle/fat it won't hurt as much unless its a sensitive area (like under your arms).

I have 2 on my spine and both hurt since its basically right on bone.

I have a bunch of piercings and none of my tats hurt as much.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
How I Mod your mother

The chest hurt most for me, since yours seems pretty simple you should be in and outta there quick so it wont be too bad
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Doesn't hurt.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
To each their own, it really depends. I have about 20 something hours of work on my body from arms to chest to leg and I can honestly say none of them hurt and I didn't even break a sweat. I personally really enjoy the feeling and miss it dearly. There are definitely parts that are not as comfy as other parts for example really close to the armpit but even then it was nothing. Don't think size matters too, I'm 5'11 and 150 lbs so im a thin dude. I've seen guys who are huge and roided up get tattoos on their arm and almost start to cry.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

If you are just getting a letter, you will be fine. After about 4 hours or so when they are doing the shading, it starts to hurt since its going over the same wound over and over again. Like others have said..I cant wait to get another one.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys

i will post my experience soon
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
^^
sounds good post pics too! Oh and enjoy, seriously it's just fucking awesome.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I got mine done on the inside of my hip. Like people have said, it depends where you get it. Parts of mine didn't hurt at all (actually tickled from the buzzing) but other parts hurt a lot. I just clenched my jaw and waited for the shading to be done. Mine only took about an hour to do (it's relatively small).

I think the most painful thing for me was while it was healing (my grandmother's dog kept stepping on me while I was sleeping). And then it got itchy lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsvs View Post
I am planning to get the first letter of my name on my shoulder area... area opposite to the armpit? Since i heard this spot hurts the least.

My friend told me it did not hurt at all, but she is a girl so it may be different for guys and girls.

So how much does it really hurt relatively? I have had some painful experiences in the past.
You sound like a pussy. Don't even bother getting one if you're that scared of getting such a small tatoo.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #13

everyone is nervous about their first one.... well most. but after it starts getting done then its fine.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

more than you can handle pal
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Not a mod

Wow... dude do you a penis ?

If you're that afraid of a bit of pain, you're best not to get a tatoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsvs View Post

SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #16

Actually yeah now that I think about it, the days of itching (that you are not supposed to scratch) is actually WAY worse than the few hours of piercing pain.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #17

lol yup the itching is a B*TCH!!! i peeled a bit of mine when it scabbed and it was a dumb move cuz i still have to go back and do touch ups for the peeling i did.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #18
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I lucked out. I accidentally ripped off a piece of the scab (it got caught on my jeans), but I didn't have to go back to get it touched up. Not that my uncle would have cared. I can't wait to get my next one though. Still need to finish the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I guess it appeals to my sadistic side
You mean masochistic side.

As far as tattoo's hurting -- they probably hurt a bit when you get them, but not nearly as much as when you turn 50 and realize you've covered your sagging body with indecipherable blobs of ink.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentelephone View Post
You mean masochistic side.

As far as tattoo's hurting -- they probably hurt a bit when you get them, but not nearly as much as when you turn 50 and realize you've covered your sagging body with indecipherable blobs of ink.
Yes, because it's totally inappropriate for anyone over 50 to have tattoos. It means you are going to hell!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Yes, because it's totally inappropriate for anyone over 50 to have tattoos. It means you are going to hell!
You're so thick -- I wasn't passing judgment, but rather pointing out the fact that tattoos do not age well. Plus, what are the chances that at age 60 most people would want some bullshit chinese characters on their back, or an armband made of barbed wire?

That being said, old people with tattoos look like scum.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #22

Quote:
You're so thick
Compared to this?
Quote:
I wasn't passing judgment
Quote:
old people with tattoos look like scum.
Fucking judgmental prick.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

It does hurt and depending where you want on the body, the hurt meter varies.
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Compared to this?

Fucking judgmental prick.
I said I wasn't passing judgment, referring to my previous post which you took out of context (ie., I simply meant that tattoos often deform into incomprehensible blobs).

My next post was very much judgmental, but I think somewhat justified.

The older generations were not generally accepting of tattoos, so they were very much only embraced by fringe groups. Hence, my belief that old people having tattoos is scummy is fair -- as a kid the only old people I saw with tattoos were pretty shady.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #25

Quote:
I said I wasn't passing judgment, referring to my previous post which you took out of context (ie., I simply meant that tattoos often deform into incomprehensible blobs).

My next post was very much judgmental, but I think somewhat justified.

The older generations were not generally accepting of tattoos, so they were very much only embraced by fringe groups. Hence, my belief that old people having tattoos is scummy is fair -- as a kid the only old people I saw with tattoos were pretty shady.
Then as a kid, you sure didn't grow up around very many war veterans. Both of my grandfathers proudly served in WW2, and both have tattoos to show for it. Neither of them are shady. And my 50+ year old uncle has tattoos, and he is one of the nicest people I have ever known in my entire life.

And tattoos only turn into incomprehensible blobs if they are not properly cared for for decades - much like skin becomes discolored and wrinkly if not cared for properly. In extreme cases, they can go after a few years. And they can always be touched up anyway.

Please quit spouting off your ignorance and hatred in this otherwise useful thread.