REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Driving A Jeep With No Doors?

Hey, With all this heat we have been having I'm wondering if it is legal to take the doors off of my YJ and drive door less? I've herd yes and no answers to this one so if any one can clarify that would be sweet.

Thanks
Matt
Advertisement
matt_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
"Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors.
The doors with which a vehicle is equipped shall be in good working order, and any hinge, latch or handle must not be broken, missing or inoperable.
The doors shall not be warped, twisted or weakened to the extent that a slight jar will open them.
A door shall be capable of being opened or closed with normal effort."

Also, your mirrors are attached to the doors:

"...every motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side that provides the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway rearward to the horizon from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver."

Short (proper) answer - no. Now, if you buy mirrors that sit in the door brackets like I did, or relocate them to the windshield, then just remember that you're taking a chance that you could be pulled off the road at any time. Be cautious if you do - without the doors, I get a lot more dust and spray from the tires that can get into your eyes, so I generally only go doorless offroads or on my way to a trail.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Ok so if I must do it what your saying is have mirrors at least?

Matt
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #4

I don't have the extra mirrors for legality's sake, because it's already illegal and most any traffic cop is going to pick up on it. I have the mirrors because it's quite unnatural to drive without them, so for safety's sake, you might as well have them if you plan on driving without doors.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Wow that is sooo lame that you can't drive a jeep (designed to have no doors) with out the doors. OH well what can you do. Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Matt
Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
This gets asked every summer around here. Eugene is right, except for a few specific instances, it's illegal to remove your doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If the Jeep came from the factory with doors, you must have them on. Easy to tell...look for hinges and striker plates. My understanding that very early 1970's was the last year that doors were factory optional. If you have a WW2 jeep with just the cutouts, then you don't need them.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #8

The CJ line right up until 1986 can get away with no doors, but must have the drivers side mirror remounted if it was originally fixed to the door.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...able_doors.pdf
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

As I mentioned...the striker and hinges are a dead giveaway. If it came without doors from the factory then it won't have these. If is does & the doors are missing...bingo!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^ doors were an option on those pre86 cj's
so if you want the door option you get hinges etc. you wouldnt get a ticket for not running optional equipment even if you are setup to run it no?

when i go on my weeklong bush bomb in the summer my doors are staying at home, this will be ALL off-highway tho. no doors is awsome for wheeling, super gay for driving around on the street tho
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

IF your new Jeep came from the factory with no doors, they did not install hinges or strikers..,.you don't have to runs doors now. If is DID come with doors, strikers, hinges etc, you must NOT remove the doors while on any "highway" in BC.