REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Failure to Display N Sign (https://www.revscene.net/forums/579650-failure-display-n-sign.html)

JSALES 06-17-2009 09:28 PM

Failure to Display N Sign

I'm posting this for a friend. My friend recently got ticketed because he didn't have his "N" sign on the back of his vehicle because it got stolen. The cop that ticketed him pulled him over because he ran my friends license plate and found out was registered under his dad's name instead of his. Is that a legit reason to pull him over? If he were to dispute, is there a good chance he'll win? The cop didn't even spell his name right on the ticket and wrote down his old address

netfreak 06-17-2009 09:36 PM

Uh, the police don't need special permission to do a traffic stop.

No to winning anything.

JSALES 06-17-2009 09:43 PM

yeah i guess but say he had his class 5, the cop probably would've pulled him over just to ask for registration which would be kinda pointless

325ist 06-17-2009 10:04 PM

He Will loose, When you just get your licence driving is more a priviledge.....

impactX 06-17-2009 10:09 PM

Police is allowed to do that.

weedcookie 06-17-2009 11:56 PM

Pretty sure the police do not care if the N got stolen. I tried that a couple times and never worked. LOL

Dan_Guy 06-18-2009 12:19 AM

if they believe every time someone said "It got stolen, I swear!" then nobody would drive with N's

If you lose your N, just go to ICBC or print a temp. one. Not That f'ing hard. Put it under rear windshield, can't lose it there.

JSALES 06-18-2009 03:31 AM

alright guys, thanks for the info

6insomnia9 06-18-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_Guy (Post 6471075)
if they believe every time someone said "It got stolen, I swear!" then nobody would drive with N's

If you lose your N, just go to ICBC or print a temp. one. Not That f'ing hard. Put it under rear windshield, can't lose it there.

Sometimes, you just don't know if its stolen.
Ex; you park to go groceries shopping and then some bitch ass kids decide to steal your N sign because they have a "collection" and you come out and see where you N sign used to be.

:haha:

zulutango 06-18-2009 07:12 AM

Tell your friend that if he puts it inside his back window, or removes it whenever parking and reinstalls it just as her is driving away, it will never get stolen...but then he is an intellegent person and could have figured that out for himself?

wing_woo 06-18-2009 08:36 AM

My friend puts her purse in the trunk when she drives and makes a habit of that. That way she goes to her car and opens the trunk to take her N and put it on the trunk when she puts her purse in the trunk and when she gets out of the car, she puts the N back into the trunk when she gets her purse. That way it doesn't get stolen and she has it on when she's driving. All you gotta do is find a routine and do it and eventually it'll become second nature.

zulutango 06-18-2009 08:44 AM

Another great suggestion. My "man-purse" is not big enough to carry mine. :)

MR_BIGGS 06-18-2009 08:52 AM

If the police officer cannot correctly copy the name on the ID onto the ticket than the person doesn't deserve to be ticketed by that cop...I think that's grounds for the judge to throw it out...

I was in dispute court years ago...and this 40 something european dude got a ticket for speeding.....he wasn't clocked on a radar gun. just cop pulling him over for speeding...information on the ticket was written incorrectly and the guy mentioned...if the cop can't write the ticket correctly how can he say i was speeding based on his observation and not a radar gun....judge said fair enough and threw out the violation..

ur buddy's some punk kid though..so i doubt u'll...i mean he'll get off that easy..

zulutango 06-18-2009 09:16 AM

Writing a VI requires a lot more specifics than a VT. You even have to write the VIV nunber on it. They use that to match the plate and vehicle description. You also include the owner's name and the dirvers name and details, unless it is the same person. Pretty hard to make mistakes on ALL those things.

JSALES 06-18-2009 12:51 PM

haha, well the thing is. my buddy might want to pull the racial card because the the cop that pulled him over was beside him for a while and then decided to change lanes and follow him for a bit, he wants to say that because he has an ethnic background he didn't take the time to spell his name and even spell his address right. i don't know if that'll work for him aha

JordanLee 06-18-2009 01:06 PM

^Oh no. That can only end one way.

netfreak 06-19-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 6471639)
^Oh no. That can only end one way.

Yeah, CBC running the story and getting a few hundred thousand liberals completely outraged at the injustice :)

Jasdip 06-23-2009 08:22 PM

dispute everything...50/50 chance that the cop will show up

zulutango 06-24-2009 07:12 AM

Unless the Cop had psychic powers there was no way he knew who the driver was before he stopped the car. He could have run the plate and found it was registered to an adult who was older that the driver appeared to be. He would have then believed that the driver probably was a novice driver and as he didn't see the N displayed, he stopped the car. The motor vehicle act and criminal code providers plenty of legal grounds to stop a vehicle...including finding someone violating the restrictions of his DL...like your friend correctly was. To qoute a sign I have seen posted a number of places over the years...."a lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine". If your friend had bothered to remove his N when parking...or had a second free one with him, there would have been no traffic stop and no ticket. That was the consequence of the choice made.

CRS 06-24-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasdip (Post 6479365)
dispute everything...50/50 chance that the cop will show up

People like you should die.

Dispute when you actually have a case than just trying to get off the hook for nothing.

zulutango 06-24-2009 09:56 AM

That would require someone to actually accept responsibility for their actions and the consequences. Don't you know that there is always an excuse for everything...specially if you get caught red-handed doing it. :)

chileanwinehous 06-24-2009 11:03 AM

your "friend" should have had his N sign period.

Anjew 07-03-2009 12:27 AM

your friend must have been driving in a way to get the cop to notice him. ie speeding, driving like a ricer...

sho_bc 07-03-2009 05:09 AM

Because its already been dragged back from the dead, may as well answer some of the questions asked properly....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6470758)
I'm posting this for a friend. My friend recently got ticketed because he didn't have his "N" sign on the back of his vehicle because it got stolen. The cop that ticketed him pulled him over because he ran my friends license plate and found out was registered under his dad's name instead of his. Is that a legit reason to pull him over? If he were to dispute, is there a good chance he'll win? The cop didn't even spell his name right on the ticket and wrote down his old address

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6470789)
yeah i guess but say he had his class 5, the cop probably would've pulled him over just to ask for registration which would be kinda pointless

Totally legit, as I'm sure your friend doesn't look the same age as the registered owner, and verifying a vehicle is not stolen or being driven without the owner's knowledge is a good thing. Its just too bad your friend didn't have an N displayed. If your friend did have a class 5, then the traffic stop would have gone the same way minus the VT for no N. The cop had no way of knowing prior to pulling your friend over if he had a class 5 or 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6471615)
haha, well the thing is. my buddy might want to pull the racial card because the the cop that pulled him over was beside him for a while and then decided to change lanes and follow him for a bit, he wants to say that because he has an ethnic background he didn't take the time to spell his name and even spell his address right. i don't know if that'll work for him aha

As previously mentioned, probably won't go over well. Remember, your friend is innocent until proven guilty. Its the officer's job to properly articulate why he pulled your friend over, which led to learning he was an N driver.
As for the following around for a bit, the officer was probably running the plate at that point and waiting for the vehicle/registered owner information to come back. Do you ever get those gut feelings/sudden feelings of curiosity about something? Police get them too, and usually follow up on them, hence changing lanes and running the plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6479948)
Unless the Cop had psychic powers there was no way he knew who the driver was before he stopped the car. He could have run the plate and found it was registered to an adult who was older that the driver appeared to be. He would have then believed that the driver probably was a novice driver and as he didn't see the N displayed, he stopped the car. The motor vehicle act and criminal code providers plenty of legal grounds to stop a vehicle...including finding someone violating the restrictions of his DL...like your friend correctly was. To qoute a sign I have seen posted a number of places over the years...."a lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine". If your friend had bothered to remove his N when parking...or had a second free one with him, there would have been no traffic stop and no ticket. That was the consequence of the choice made.

I like that.

stutterr 07-03-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6480122)
People like you should die.

Dispute when you actually have a case than just trying to get off the hook for nothing.

We have the option to fight it, so why not. I would dispute anything and everything. Cops are there to issue a ticket for a violation, they are not always right. Disputing allows the accused to share their side of the story.

I think thats excellent advice.

People like you should walk around with a sign "I BEND OVER FOR COPS", if you think like that.