REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Okanagan Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/okanagan-off-topic_175/)
-   -   Living in Kelowna/Salmon Arm in Winter (https://www.revscene.net/forums/580046-living-kelowna-salmon-arm-winter.html)

Lomac 06-21-2009 10:21 PM

Living in Kelowna/Salmon Arm in Winter

So I may be moving to either Kelowna or Salmon Arm this fall and I'm just curious what it's like during the winter months. Does it get bad enough that a proper 4x4 is required or is it fine if you're just in a stock car with good winter tires? I realize the further out of town you go, the less likely the roads will be plowed regularly, but what about around town? If I'm in Kelowna, I'd be making regular trips to Salmon Arm (well, just a few miles South of it, anyway), and if I end up living just South of SA, I'll be making regular trips into Vernon.

Thoughts? I'd really rather not have to go out and buy a truck/SUV if I can just get away with my current car...

RedCeli 06-22-2009 12:00 AM

A decent car with good winters will suffice nicely. If you can avoid going out immediately after a big dump you will be fine. They are pretty quick at plowing the main roads, but the side roads can take a while sometimes.

fourtirefire 06-22-2009 08:16 AM

Yep, with a good set of snow tires and drive according to conditions, you should be fine.

jeffh 06-22-2009 04:26 PM

^ and if not, theres alot of 4x4's here these days

saucywoman 06-22-2009 05:23 PM

jon with a good set of winters, just drive according to the conditions and you'll be fine :p the drive from kelowna to salmon arm is about an hour and a half so just move to vernon and then you're pretty much in the middle. That hill coming into vernon from kelowna is something I wouldn't want to be doing in the winter.

Lomac 06-22-2009 10:05 PM

Well, I'll only be living in Kelowna if I manage to get into UBC. If not, I'll be living with my girlfriend in Salmon Arm. I just didn't want to drive from Salmon Arm to Kelowna and back every day if I didn't have to.

Iceman-19 06-23-2009 04:44 PM

You will be fine with a set of winters.

keifun 06-23-2009 05:27 PM

I got by 3 kelowna winters with my all season stockers..but yeah, a good set of winters will be fine.

Jassanova 06-24-2009 08:44 PM

all seaons in Kelowna this year were fine on my FWD car... though I didn't drive too often.

jeffh 06-24-2009 09:57 PM

these guys propping allseasons obvioulsy never left town all winter

i drove from salmon arm to kelowna xmas night in my jeep with good snow tires and it was sketchy as fuck, and im no newb to snow, for the $$ id rock snow tires for sure if you are hitting the highways as much as it sounds like you plan to

saucywoman 06-25-2009 08:14 AM

^^ yeah I guess you are right. I just put two winters on the front and that's fine for my car. The only out of town travelling I usually do over the winter is heading up to sun peaks.
Jon yeah if you're travelling you should get winters, you don't want to end up getting caught in a snow storm with all seasons. Check out Big O Tires for used ones. Last winter I picked up some with I think 80% tread left for about $40 each.

too_slow 07-01-2009 07:09 AM

I have a FWD mazda, and a good set of winters is all you need.. I have Michelin X-ice2's all around, and I drive back to Vancouver almost every other weekend.. Not a single "oh shit" moment in the city, or on the coq hww..

zumvette 07-05-2009 11:17 PM

Winters in the ok are serious news. If you dont have chains you wont make it.
Wait....what!

ok winters are mellow. I rocked all seasons in the ol fwd and even in the chevette which had a mad "rocket motor" <-- lol only a few know this. But winter tires were nice to have when I had them and made side street entrances/exits more comfortable.

cbetts 07-07-2009 06:41 AM

if your driving highway i wouldnt hesitate to get winters. Like said above, used tires can be had for super cheap, i got a smokin deal on mine. and where fwd fails, awd ftw!

Quicksilver 07-07-2009 11:14 AM

I have had 4x4, AWD, and FWD here in Salmon Arm, and have done the trip to Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops at various times during the winter. As long as you got decent tires, don't drive like a 'tard, get a good set of wipers and headlights, you'll do just fine. The back roads can get sketchy, so can the highways. Just take your time, leave lots of space and you'll do just fine. I rocked bald all seasons on our '06 Cherokee AWD last winter and it was allright.