REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
I know more than a tricorder

TVs: LG 47LH40 or Toshiba Regza 46XV645U?

Best Buy has the 46XV645U ( http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...83&catid=24558 ) for $1449.00, and I talked to a guy at FS and he would do $1599.00 for the 47LH40 ( http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...15&catid=23524). Both (especially the LG) have great reviews and apparently look as good or better as much more expensive Sony's and Sammy's.

Both are 120hz and have fairly similar specs (besides the LG's 80,000 contrast ratio to the Toshiba's 50,000), does anyone here have any words of wisdom?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I have a 32" Toshiba, 60hz, 720P LCD, its great. Standard def(coax straight out of the wall) looks kind of shitty but I got used to it(120hz/240hz do alot better I hear), im sure it looks fine hooked up to a digital or HD box. Have an upconverting DVD player and it looks amazing, same with Xbox 360. It has better speakers than the LG and Samsung I looked at, they are front firing instead of down firing. The interface is nice and fast(input selecting etc..) Has some cool features like Favorite channels, channel history, 1/2 mute, DVD controls that actually work, Picture freeze, Picture Size(4:3, 16:9, theatre wide etc for any incoming signal).

Couple annoying things, the viewing angle isnt the best but its not bad either, The bezel is really shiny and attracts dust(but I think all TV's do) The screen stays really clean though. When it first starts up the color is a bit dim because the backlight has to warm up, only lasts about 20 seconds, not sure if other LCD's do that.

Quite honestly, I would go Plasma. Parents have a 50" LG Plasma, 720P, has flat pane of glass that covers the whole screen/bezel.. looks amazing, it was $899 around New years.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 06-22-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Island_Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I have the Regza and LOVE it.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Best buy has the 46 inch 1080 Panasonic for $999.
I would take the Panasonic over both. I am picking one up tomorrow in Nanaimo.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=752324
Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Best buy has the 46 inch 1080 Panasonic for $999.
I would take the Panasonic over both. I am picking one up tomorrow in Nanaimo.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=752324
Check PMs!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

I called BB a couple times today and they said they were unable to do $999 for the Panasonic, they were wise to the fact that it was an in-store special from Ontario (or was it Nova Scotia?) and said their policy is to not price match in-store specials. Their sticker for the TV is $1699 (although it's $1399 online) and he would do $1299 but no lower.

If you have an luck Manic! let me know and I'll push harder.

edit: I just checked that thread again and apparenlty a guy in Van got the deal, so there must be a way to get it right?

Last edited by Oversight; 06-23-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Oversight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #7

Got TV today, thanks for the dozens of helpful responses
Old 06-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight View Post
Got TV today, thanks for the dozens of helpful responses
I just picked one up too.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #9