REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Criminal Record (https://www.revscene.net/forums/580202-criminal-record.html)

chileanwinehous 06-22-2009 10:35 PM

Criminal Record

question:

I had a criminal record for assault when I was in grade 6-7. I was pressured into fighting some kid and ended up putting him in the hospital (i feel very bad about it today) im 28 years old now. I was not charged as an adult. I wanted to apply for the Reserve Constable Program. One of the Requirements are No Criminal Record. Will having an assault charge when I was a child affect my chances of being accepted into the program? Thanks.

ps: I didn't know better when I was young.

CRS 06-23-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileanwinehous (Post 6477954)
question:

I had a criminal record for assault when I was in grade 6-7. I was pressured into fighting some kid and ended up putting him in the hospital (i feel very bad about it today) im 28 years old now. I was not charged as an adult. I wanted to apply for the Reserve Constable Program. One of the Requirements are No Criminal Record. Will having an assault charge when I was a child affect my chances of being accepted into the program? Thanks.

ps: I didn't know better when I was young.

Most likely not. If you were as young as you say you were, then it would be classified under young offenders and after you hit 18, those files are sealed.

So would you have a criminal record? I don't think so.

ninjatune 06-23-2009 07:07 AM

The incident will still come up and be talked about thoroughly in the application process. Just be honest and as long as you haven't had anything else like that in your history you might be okay.

CRS 06-23-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatune (Post 6478305)
The incident will still come up and be talked about thoroughly in the application process. Just be honest and as long as you haven't had anything else like that in your history you might be okay.

Are you speaking from experience or hearsay?

chileanwinehous 06-23-2009 12:05 PM

That was the only criminal offense in my life (and a seat belt ticket). I remember hearing that the file would never be opened after I hit 18 but is this still true. I can't count on my memory. Any one know the facts?

ninjatune 06-23-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6478632)
Are you speaking from experience or hearsay?

Experience... I am currently an "Aux/Reserve"

nipples 06-23-2009 05:52 PM

from my experience, criminal charges from when you're a minor are never brought up. neither on VPD, CBSA, nor RCMP searches. But I'm pretty sure homeland would be able to get a hold of something if they wanted.

impactX 06-23-2009 06:20 PM

Yeah, as ninjatune says, you will have to disclose it.

CRS 06-23-2009 07:06 PM

Just remember. They aren't looking for perfect people but people who have learned from their mistakes and want to make the community a better place. And since this happened when you were really young, as long as you disclose it with honesty and say what you have learned/changed, I don't see this being a deal breaker.

chileanwinehous 06-24-2009 09:25 AM

thanks guys!