REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

New Drivers license License

Being with the transportation plan, my friends and i are planning to go to the states for the day to enjoy a day out, and i recently got the new drivers license. Do i still need a passport is that drives license already enough? ..

Also, what would you guys recommend me to do down there=/ we are clueless as it is our first time ! haha

Dunno about , but others might've asked this question before. link if so.

thanks!
Advertisement
GS-TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
is your newly issued drivers license an "enhanced" drivers license?

i believe they are issuing the regular ones, and new enhanced ones by choice.

the enhanced ones can be used in place of a passport when crossing the border. i heard it costs a bit more, like around $100 while the regular one is something like $75

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Check out the ICBC EDL page for all the info.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...g-licensed/edl
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I think you still need your passport because they scan them.

shopping? nothing much to do in Bellingham beside shopping in Bellis Fair.
oh_juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
i did not get the enhanced.
serioulsy, that's just a money cash grab
i paid for my mofo pssport, now i shoudl pay more for an enhanced so i dont' have to carry a 3X5 passport..
no thank you, i'll save that money for a shirt plz.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

wow i never knew about this, im going to get it... better then driving to the states and worrying about losing my passport.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

its just convenient

what if you decide to go to the states one day and you are somewhat out of the way to go back home to grab your passport?

its all up to you
vancitysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

if you're a new driver do they get you for the 'N' rule to only carry 1 passenger?
because i've driven to the states before and they don't ask for your license only your passport. but if i use this enhanced drivers license will i be docked for having a full car?
officejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
RS Veteran

just a get a passport, almost same price and the hassle getting the new enhanced one. I inquired about it while renewing my license and they guy said that to me which made a lot of sense, why bother with it if I got a passport that last me 5yrs already

Need computer-related Help?? Affordable rates and on-site. Quality work. Fully qualified, I am a professional certified computer technologist with over 15+yrs experience on various platforms/hardware/software while working @ a Fortune 500 company. MSN: talon001@hotmail.com Email: allenm604@gmail.com
SiR001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I just got the new license. Cost me $75 and the lady didn't even ask me what I wanted.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
RS Veteran

the $75 one is just the regular renewal fee, to get the EDL, it's another $35 ontop and you need to apply for it like a passport

Need computer-related Help?? Affordable rates and on-site. Quality work. Fully qualified, I am a professional certified computer technologist with over 15+yrs experience on various platforms/hardware/software while working @ a Fortune 500 company. MSN: talon001@hotmail.com Email: allenm604@gmail.com
SiR001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

ah I see, the front looks almost the same. But more stuff at the back of the card.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ anyone know if you recently received your new DL for $75, can you ask them to upgrade it to Enhanced and pay the extra $35? I totally forgot about the enhanced option and the renewing lady never asked if I wanted to upgrade...carrying a passport around is a pain in the ass.
ChiGGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officejesus View Post
if you're a new driver do they get you for the 'N' rule to only carry 1 passenger?
because i've driven to the states before and they don't ask for your license only your passport. but if i use this enhanced drivers license will i be docked for having a full car?
you can still only carry one person in the USA... the rules of your licence apply everywhere.

I doubt the border people will care. but if cops pull you over down south....
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

No you still need your passport to provide to them, a slight chance they will let you through without it - its worked for me once but very hard.
guten is offline   Reply With Quote