REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

3rd brake light cover

I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light? I've cut out a TRD logo out of some thin plastic stuff I found laying around in my garage and I'm thinking of mounting it on my brake light so it shines TRD when the brakes are applied. The only problem I see is that this may cause a distraction for the car driving behind.
Advertisement
sgenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

If you think it might be a distraction, does it not then make sense to not do it simply out of consideration for the drivers behind you?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
If you think it might be a distraction, does it not then make sense to not do it simply out of consideration for the drivers behind you?
if this were true, then none of the riced out cars would exist
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well, you're allowed to completely black out the back window (as long as you have both side mirrors), and AFAIK there are no provisos regarding whether that also blacks out a third brake light... so I can't see that partially covering it would be a problem. As far as a "distraction", the whole point of the third brake light is to draw the next driver's attention, so he actually notices that you're stopping...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgenio View Post
I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light?
Nope, not legal, open invitation to be pulled over and ticketed for obstructed lights.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'm not being a dick, but what about 5% tint? cause i'm planning on tinting soon and it will probably cover the 3rd brake light.
sgenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
you can still see the light when its on through 5%
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
I'm not being a dick, but what about 5% tint?
I didn't think that you were! ANYTHING that reduces the light output of the brake lamp (and any other lamp for that matter), including 5% tint, is not allowed. You can tint the window, you will just have to leave it untinted where the brake lamp is.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light? I've cut out a TRD logo out of some thin plastic stuff I found laying around in my garage and I'm thinking of mounting it on my brake light so it shines TRD when the brakes are applied. The only problem I see is that this may cause a distraction for the car driving behind.
why would you want to do anything dumb like that to your car anyways? do you even have any TRD parts?

That would look pretty gay if you ask me, especially on your weak tercel.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

on my old car when i had my N sign, it fell into the space where the 3rd light is and i cant get it out. i asked the officers n guys at the dmv about it, and they said "you still have 2 others dont u? it's fine"
Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #11

Its police like that who make it hard for the rest of us to do our job effectively, and who mis-inform the general public about what is legall and what is not legal
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ i should've gotten him to put it in writing, sign it, date it, badge number it. would that ever hold up if i was given a ticket in the future? despite the unlikeliness of him actually writing/signing etc it.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

3rd brake light exist for a reason...

I felt the effectiveness when I drove back to Vancouver in the winter, in the Rockies.
I'm passing cars and semis in the "snow" lane aka left, fresh powder snowed, yet to be snowplowed nor driven lane. After I got to the gas station, I've got about 2-3 INCHES of snow stuck to the rear of the car. The entire trunk, anything from top of bumper to top of trunk is covered, no light getting through. Thank god the 3rd brake light on the OEM wing is not affected.
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
^ i should've gotten him to put it in writing, sign it, date it, badge number it. would that ever hold up if i was given a ticket in the future? despite the unlikeliness of him actually writing/signing etc it.
I can write, sign, give my badge # etc saying that pigs fly and dogs speak english. Doesn't mean its true.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I see a lot of 96-98 Civics (don't know why those ones) that have all their brake lights not working except for the high mounted one. I kinda wonder abou these people though...out of the 5 brake lights, only 1 works. I guess they never check on their car to make sure everything's working.

I'm not sure what would happen if you install a spoiler that has a brake light on it. I think if you do, you can get away with covering the one in your back window as the spoiler one replaces it. That's how my Mazda is. If you get the vehicle with a spoiler, they remove the brake light in the window as the spoiler covers it anyways and has the brake light already. They come from the factory that way.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
I STILL don't get it

the original 3rd brake light has to work. if you get a spoiler with a 3rd brake light you still have to have the original 3rd brake light working