REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Anon Submission: Music addiction/fixation = OCD? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/581034-anon-submission-music-addiction-fixation-%3D-ocd.html)

Girl 06-30-2009 08:49 AM

Anon Submission: Music addiction/fixation = OCD?

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem/issue/gift.

I can sit for hours and loop the same 1 song. In fact, I can listen to certain songs on repeat for days, weeks, or months without even remotely getting sick of it. This happens quite regularly. In fact, I jump songs so rarely, the playlist of "songs I like" in my mp3 player only has about 15h of music, and this is after 8 years of collecting music.

If I'm bummed out, I loop 1 song continuously for days/weeks. When I'm driving, I can loop it. When I go to work, I'm still looping it. Same with the drive home, while I'm eating, after dinner, when I'm in bed.. Even on weeknights, sometimes I will spend the whole night sitting there looping a song, then go to work the next day.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I took a ton of piano lessons as a kid, and have perfect absolute pitch. This means I can listen to any song just once and play it exactly on the piano.

Just wondering if this means I have some kind of OCD and if I should get this checked out or something, or if this is actually more "normal" and common than I am led to believe?

Presto 06-30-2009 09:16 AM

As long as it's not negatively affecting your life, then I don't really see a problem.

I've listened to the same series of tracks on an album for almost a year, when I commuted from Ditchmond to Coquitlam. If I still had that commute, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

bcrdukes 06-30-2009 01:09 PM

This is normal. I tend to do this as well and have been for many years. However, this came with studying music since I was 12.

impactX 06-30-2009 06:36 PM

I loop the song until I can remember the lyrics and can sing it out loud.

Ulic Qel-Droma 07-01-2009 05:20 PM

is it normal? hah I do that too. I can listen to the top few songs on my playlist for... forever.

Honyoung 07-01-2009 09:39 PM

yea same here i think i played a song 24/7 for like a week in summer NON-STOP (i was homesick)
i think its becuase the song makes you happy, gives a kind of euphoria? or it reminds you of happier times

KingDeeCee 07-03-2009 10:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewun0...e=channel_page

YEAHHH!!!! Loop this shit.

Ducdesmo 07-05-2009 12:07 PM

Hmm I guess I'm the only one that gets sick of a song after the 5th continious play. No matter how good the song is....Usually need a few days to recover before I can play the same song again..

hotjoint 07-07-2009 07:13 AM

I can listen to a song over and over for the whole day as well. Doesnt mean anything, just means that you like that sontg :)

Unagi 08-03-2009 11:43 AM

I loop a song all the time and sometimes without noticing the song's on repeat. I treat it as a background music and don't really concentrate on it too much. There are times when I realized that I have the same song playing after it being played for 20 minutes. lolz

E=mc˛ 08-03-2009 01:46 PM

^

that's pretty much me right there with regards to treating it as background music
I can drive with the radio not tuned to a station so all you hear is static and I'd have no problem because I just treat it as bg noise and focus on other things

ilvtofu 08-04-2009 04:16 PM

If the song is good enough, playing it over and over shouldn't be a problem :)
there are a few frank sinatra songs that I can't get enough of.
Although when i'm driving I can't listen to the same song over and over but here in front of the comp i've definitely used the loop button before