REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Got some damage repaired a year ago, now it's rusting out.

Hey guys,

I have a question for you guys. A year ago my dad went to a certain shop, I will omit the name for now, to get some damage repaired while I was away at school for my birthday present.

We had the bumper touched up and the right passenger quarter panel/hinge repainted.

I was not home from school when we received the car back and was not home for a few months afterwards. I think that they didn't do a a perfect job on the body work and the creases didn't match perfectly, but I didn't care too much since it was pretty close.

However, a year later (about a month ago), I noticed that the back bumper had splintered.. I thought it was simply that someone had bumped me or that I had backed into something, but I was very suspicious since I haven't tapped anything. However, I also noticed earlier today that the other spot they had patched had similarly cracked and splintered and started to rust out on the inside edge of my passenger door. It has probably been there for a while, however since no one ever sits in my passenger seat I simply hadn't noticed.

Any advice as to how I should deal with this.. it wasn't an ICBC claim so I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your time.
Advertisement

Last edited by CounterPuncher; 07-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
CounterPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Did you pay cash for the work? or was it documented? Most shops will honor their own work if it's done legitimately and undeniably their work. (paperwork time!)
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !NiteRaven View Post
Did you pay cash for the work? or was it documented? Most shops will honor their own work if it's done legitimately and undeniably their work. (paperwork time!)
The thing is, I wasn't around for it, and I'm not sure my dad kept the paper work.

The only thing I might have going for me is that I kind of got to know the owner of the body shop since I've had a bunch of work there.

Pretty sure my dad did a cash job though.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
And even if they did have documentation they might blame it on you, depends if they are respectable, as long as they aren't No 1. collision
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
I don't get it

You're probably SOL if you didn't pay tax for the repair.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
And even if they did have documentation they might blame it on you, depends if they are respectable, as long as they aren't No 1. collision
couldn't have said it better myself
dimsum119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
The rust on the door you might be SOL depending where it is.

Doors rust from the inside out, and no repair can fix the inside of the door without taking it completely apart, and even then doubtfully they'll get all the rust in every seam.

No paint should "splinter", sounds like a bad prep job with no flex agent added.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The rust on the door you might be SOL depending where it is.

Doors rust from the inside out, and no repair can fix the inside of the door without taking it completely apart, and even then doubtfully they'll get all the rust in every seam.

No paint should "splinter", sounds like a bad prep job with no flex agent added.
The rust is just on the interior edge of the drivers side door.

It's only about 6 inches long just where the paint was cracking, that's the only rust there is.

Yeah I looked where they painted, it's expanded along exactly where I had it repaired. It doesn't look like someone did a good prep job.