REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Review: CHOP (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582048-review-chop.html)

6793026 07-09-2009 02:45 PM

Review: CHOP

Chopchop.ca

10251 St Edwards Dr
Richmond, BC V6X
(604) 276-1180

I went to this place few days ago. It's like a steak house. It's in richmond close to the sandman hotel. Not the one where Moxies is (close to Costco) but actually the one beside Steve Nash's gym. The place is beautifully designed, very pretty, very dark like catcus club but a tad nicer. Everyone was extremely nice and I had dinner there.

I had a french onion soup, my buddy got seafood chowder. The french onion soup and the chowder was like 7 dollars which was not expensive at all. I got a party platter and my friend got prime rib steak. The prime rib was done medium well and he really enjoyed it. My party platter had baked chips, bourbon wings, shrimp fritters, ahi tuna wrap, beef ends.

This was a platter so everythign were bite size. The chips were great and crunchy, the bourbon wings was good, the shrimp fritter had a weird taste to it. The beef ends are any cuts of meat they can't sell and just put it there as a appetizer (i think it was a great idea from a kitchen standpoint) lastly, the ahi tuna wrap. The ahi tuna wrap I had an issue with, it was with a wrap + nooles as a filling wrapped wtih a piece of tuna. the tuna was about 2.5 cm thick. Now, as we know tuna being that thick tends to have membrane that's hard to cut thru with just ur teeth. The noodles was bland, it did have a hint of washibi but i couldn't finish it because it was so hard to bit half into a tuna roll that's 2.5cm thick and not bite it in tear it in half.

I gave them feedback and they offered to comp. my expresso which i didn't expect. the entire meal was great, it was just the tuna which i had trouble. it was very nice of them.

The dessert was great. they make everything in the kitchen. We ordered a 24 layer cake. Damn the thing was huge. you could share with 4 people. it also came with vanilla ice cream and boy oh boy the ice cream is freaking amazing.

decor 9/10
food 8.5/10
price: $$$$ out of 5

It is a steak house so you can't expect the prices of Catcus club but to tell you the truth it doesn't justify for being a fine dinning prices to be that expensive either.

[jsx] sky 07-09-2009 07:44 PM

You should check out the bathrooms, there's a fountain in the middle, couches (rare in dude's washrooms), and HD tv's on top of each urinal so you can watch hockey while you piss.

Plus the porterhouse goes well with the rickard's white.

November 07-09-2009 10:06 PM

They have very tasty cocktails as well. The drinks I found to be a little on the pricey side, but it may have been because they use premium alcohols (at least in their martinis). I believe my drink was $9 for a 1.5 oz tanqueray ten martini.

unidentified 07-10-2009 01:20 AM

I've been there twice. The place is very nice and the patio has actual booths as opposed to just tables and chairs. The service is terrific as well. I wasn't as impressed with the filet mignon the first time. I had asked for medium rare but it was more well done. The second time I went though, I was really impressed. The service was great. Our food was taking a bit long so the manager came by with some complimentary salads. I had the feature sablefish which was sooo good. Cocktails and martinis are also made quite well. Overall, drinks and food are a little pricey but I think it's definitely worth it.

Gumby 07-10-2009 08:38 AM

I was there in mid June for sister's birthday, and we were put into a private room (for just the 7 of us). Mussels and seafood chowder were great, but I found the steaks to be average - kinda tough and a bit overcooked when I ordered rare. Very nice setting, and excellent service though.

keifun 07-10-2009 11:16 PM

^ Same here. I went there for the first time for a friend's birthday dinner. I ordered the seafood chowder too and it was good. For the entree, I got the prime rib. It wasn't the greatest but it wasn't bad at the same time. I liked the prime rib at the Keg more than at this place, plus the keg was cheaper too.

The washrooms were nice and trendy too, its neat how you walk thru a tunnel.

I'd give it 4/5 for atmosphere and 2.5/5 for the food

~designer_rice~ 07-14-2009 02:51 PM

My boyfriend went there and he said that he would recommend this. I definitely want to check it out!

Adsdeman 07-14-2009 03:16 PM

Good looking staff?

Gumby 07-15-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adsdeman (Post 6507634)
Good looking staff?

Above average, IMO. Nothing really drool-worthy though.

skiiipi 07-15-2009 10:33 PM

their scalloped potatos are really good
porter house is not bad for the price either

for their appies..i like the "trio of salmons" very nicely plated, and tastes quite delicious

ooops 07-16-2009 08:15 PM

totally recommend this place!
chop > the keg
cheaper too.

JulyZerg 07-16-2009 10:00 PM

chop is cheaper then the Keg? Are you kidding me?

Roach 07-16-2009 10:44 PM

I have gone a few times now.

Dining Lounge is quite dark, and sort of quiet in there. Therefore, if you have a louder group, you may want a private room or go to the Bar side so as to not disturb other customers.

Service has always been good.

Price is above average.

Food is excellent. I've had the steak bites, side of fries, side of aged white cheedar macaroni... all were excellent.

I've had the burger a couple of times, super filling.

Bathroom is cool, not that a guy would care. Best part is the star-wars-esque tunnel between the dining lounge and the bar side. Also, the private rooms look nice.

Kev

SpuGen 07-18-2009 02:11 PM

I used to be the head butcher there before they fucked me over :)
My names not even on the door. It should still be my trainer Chris's name on it.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place in terms of the food.
The bread is done every morning for dinner service. Cakes etc are all done by the in house baker.
Every piece of meat is hand cut by the Butcher. All the marinades, the prime rib etc are all done by the butcher in the morning. All steaks are AAA CAB aged 28 days, and vaccum sealed after being processed.

Huge, clean kitchen.
But shitty management.
Everybody in the Kitchen now is a new crew. The original prep team which included myself and 6 others have all left. 3 of which were trained at the Edmonton Chop just to lead the prep team here in Richmond quit because of management. 2 were fired, and myself and the others quit also because of poor management.
Before we all left, we trained the "outsourced" workers who spoke like 3 words of english that you could understand. They were trained for our station, but consistently fucked it up so that we have to redo their shit when we came back from a day off. I don't know how they're holding up now, but the entire prep hall became a joke when I left. From the team that pretty much ran the kitchen, management made us into the team that didn't even want to show up. Some of us worked 7 days straight for weeks. Nobody ever had time for lunch, and we had to sneak out for a smoke. Prep charts were retarded. The Head Chef runs away when you have a problem, and gives you the vaguest answer when he does help.

Line is fucked too, but it won't affect the quality of your food at all. The original team left one by one. Even the 2 Sous chefs who were the only ones anyone respected quit. They left shortly after I did which is a testament of how badly that place was fucking up.

So food wise, it's great. Recipes are simple and delicious. Theres nothing fancy, so it's concentrated on the basics which makes the food great. The kitchen is fucked though.

Roach 07-19-2009 11:31 AM

Damn, sorry to hear!!

Kev

skiiipi 07-19-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 6513269)
I used to be the head butcher there before they fucked me over :)
My names not even on the door. It should still be my trainer Chris's name on it.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place in terms of the food.
The bread is done every morning for dinner service. Cakes etc are all done by the in house baker.
Every piece of meat is hand cut by the Butcher. All the marinades, the prime rib etc are all done by the butcher in the morning. All steaks are AAA CAB aged 28 days, and vaccum sealed after being processed.

Huge, clean kitchen.
But shitty management.
Everybody in the Kitchen now is a new crew. The original prep team which included myself and 6 others have all left. 3 of which were trained at the Edmonton Chop just to lead the prep team here in Richmond quit because of management. 2 were fired, and myself and the others quit also because of poor management.
Before we all left, we trained the "outsourced" workers who spoke like 3 words of english that you could understand. They were trained for our station, but consistently fucked it up so that we have to redo their shit when we came back from a day off. I don't know how they're holding up now, but the entire prep hall became a joke when I left. From the team that pretty much ran the kitchen, management made us into the team that didn't even want to show up. Some of us worked 7 days straight for weeks. Nobody ever had time for lunch, and we had to sneak out for a smoke. Prep charts were retarded. The Head Chef runs away when you have a problem, and gives you the vaguest answer when he does help.

Line is fucked too, but it won't affect the quality of your food at all. The original team left one by one. Even the 2 Sous chefs who were the only ones anyone respected quit. They left shortly after I did which is a testament of how badly that place was fucking up.

So food wise, it's great. Recipes are simple and delicious. Theres nothing fancy, so it's concentrated on the basics which makes the food great. The kitchen is fucked though.

i actually had a friend who managed there for a bit then left and went back to the keg.

Slif 07-21-2009 05:09 PM

always had really good and attentive service, place looks awesome as most people have mentioned, food is okay - I'd rather come here than the Keg though - I find the quality of the food to be comparable, but at least you can get reservations at Chop and plenty of parking

the 24 layer cake is just powdered cake mix - eat it once just to say you have, and never look back

the white chocolate creme brulee is really good though