REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Road Trip To Edmonton **2009**

I did a quick search but I couldn't really pull up any good threads on tackling the road trip to Edmonton.

Looks like I'll be taking this route going through Kamloops and Jasper Park.

I'm going there solo to meet up with some friends there near the end of July.

And I'll be driving my Del Sol there

Just a few quick questions.

-What time do you guys recommend leaving Vancouver for this trip?

-Any specific maintenance I should do before the trip? I plan to change all the fluids.

-Any key items I should bring along?

If yous have any other tips, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Advertisement
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

I usually make Edmonton by ~11PM when leaving Victoria on the 7AM ferry. Now if you left Vancouver around 7AM it would give you an extra couple of hours to make some stops and enjoy the scenery.

What to take?

GPS if you don't know the way
Music: CD's Satellite Radio, Apple iSomething or whatever you have.

Camera

Snacks, drinks

I like to carry basic tools for the car, fix-a-flat (crappy for your wheels if you need to use it but valuable to have if you do), other "roadside emergency" items.

Mudslides while rare and improbable CAN happen and the road CAN be closed for several hours/overnight. Prepare for this, although you can usually turn back.

Snow is rare in July in Jasper but not unheard of. Tires in good condition are recommended.

Make sure your wipers work well.

Paper towels, wet-wipes, simple first aid kit. (boring stuff I know but after doing this trip several times it does come in handy, especially when you have chip grease all over your fingers and you don't want it on the steering wheel.

Remember the "slow down and move over law" in BC and Alberta. (I hear Alberta enforces the shit out of this too...)

Watch out for animals, especially through Jasper park. A moose is no match for a Del Sol. Slow down and enjoy the park.. It's a national treasure, no need for speed or agression there. You definately want to go into the Jasper townsite (not the highway that bypasses it) and have dinner, wander around for a bit. I usually don't have time but that's because I have to take the ferry.

Enjoy the trip!
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Maybe you haven't found any threads is because that Edmonton is a hole, and Alberta sucks, too flat and boring.

BUT, there is a endless stable of women and jailbait. enjoy
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Thanks sebberry, I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

The Garmin Nuvi 255w will be guiding me.

I'll also be carrying my SLR to take pictures of the whole trip.

And got 12gb of music to take also!

This should be an interesting trip =)
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
i suggest driving through the night. less cops, or more leanient cops. so leave say 10PM drive all night get there before Noon.

This is what i usually do. Less traffic on the highway too so you can rip it all the way.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
VLS Head Mod

^^ yes but driving through Jasper National Park at night is hazardous because there is more likelihood of hitting an animal. I did this about 4-5 years ago and since there was an oncoming car I had to turn my high beams off and as soon as I turned them back on there was an elk or moose right on the road. Luckily I had good reflexes and was able to swerve or that would've been a head on collision with the passenger side of my car. It was kind of funny because my boyfriend at the time was looking out his window in the passenger side and the next thing he sees is the face of the animal almost right beside him.
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
me and my buddies did this exact same route for another buddys wedding a couple years back. the drive from kamloops to jasper is pretty fun. we took alot of chronic with us aswell. so if ur into that. i definatley suggest u take some with you. makes the entire trip like 10x better. because on the way back we ran out and holy fuck was that long and boring.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Speed on the Coquihalla, not through the national parks. Come on, get a grip.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
i suggest driving through the night. less cops, or more leanient cops. so leave say 10PM drive all night get there before Noon.

This is what i usually do. Less traffic on the highway too so you can rip it all the way.

According to one report from ICBC, fatigue, not speed, was the leading cause of collisions on the Coquihalla.

Nothing wrong with doing the trip during the day and enjoying the views. He'll get there in one day and have some great scenery along the way, and won't need to drive like a stoned wild banshee to do it.