REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   PC BBQ (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583012-pc-bbq.html)

SuperAman 07-18-2009 12:13 PM

PC BBQ

Anyone know if these Superstore Presidents Choice BBQ are any good at all?
There like 50% off, I guess you can't go wrong for 130 dollars right?

orange7 07-21-2009 01:58 AM

buy one and let us know XD

Actually if you really look around, you can find a lot of bbq grills around that price.

Occasionally, Rona and Canadian Tire have bbq grills on sale. I believe there are other places that have cheap grills, but I can't think of them right now.

Also, I believe you get what you pay for. I think the BTU rating on those $130 bbq grills found at superstores are quite low, but I suppose having a weak bbq grill isn't really your concern. It just means you gotta wait longer for your food to cook! hahaha..

saucywoman 07-21-2009 06:45 AM

I bought one from zellers on sale for I think $70 last year and it's still working good.

q0192837465 07-21-2009 01:19 PM

sears have good deals too.

aznrsx1979 07-21-2009 02:16 PM

+1 for Zellars

Parents bought one from there, regular price was $400 but there was a 40% off sale and they had a deal going on where you get $100 or $150 off your first purchase for signing up for a credit card. The quality is real good to, they use it about every week during the summer and fall.

As for the Superstore ones, besides watching for the BTU's I'm not sure how the grills are for the bbq. Some of them have that real cheap material that doesn't do very good grill marks.

nosaj 07-21-2009 03:43 PM

as i recall...i think* the following brands are from the same company, but just different grades/classes...and the order goes like this:

sterling < broil king < weber

and yes...just look for the BTU and built quality

i wouldn't recommend anyone to have their bbq built by any hardware stores...always build ur own...so that way u can make sure there ain't any missing bolts/nuts (don't ask me why...)

orange7 07-21-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Chow (Post 6516856)
as i recall...i think* the following brands are from the same company, but just different grades/classes...and the order goes like this:

sterling < broil king < weber

and yes...just look for the BTU and built quality

i wouldn't recommend anyone to have their bbq built by any hardware stores...always build ur own...so that way u can make sure there ain't any missing bolts/nuts (don't ask me why...)

why?

nosaj 07-21-2009 08:03 PM

well...i worked in a hardware store before...and they charge the customer 20-25bucks to have a bbq built; but they usually just grab one of those $8/hr highschool kids (well i was a bit higher paid at that time but u get the idea) to spend just 1-1.5hours to build it...sometimes the kids even just freestyle'd it without reading the manual.

and let's just say there were times that after the bbq was already delivered to the customer, we realized we had some extra bolts and nuts that are not supposed to be "extra". (i didnt want someone to have their bbq fall on them while grilling so i always followed the manual to make sure i didnt miss anything). we even had a little box to store all these "extra" stuff :S

in conclusion: always build your own stuff whenever u can

SuperAman 07-22-2009 12:34 AM

Well I bought the PC BBQ, took about 2 hours to assemble, lots of problems, screws not fitting properly fitment issues...list goes on.

Managed to assemble it and after all the hard work looked on the body itself and what do I see......welding problems...F**K!:mad:

I am still using it, the inside seems okay, it is just the edges of the lid that have the "gaps" dosen't seem like the heat is coming out at all, maybe I will just goto Superstore and see if they will exchange the lid only.

Anyone know if they will do this? If not I might just have to return the whole thing under their 14 day refund policy

orange7 07-22-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperAman (Post 6517492)
Well I bought the PC BBQ, took about 2 hours to assemble, lots of problems, screws not fitting properly fitment issues...list goes on.

Managed to assemble it and after all the hard work looked on the body itself and what do I see......welding problems...F**K!:mad:

I am still using it, the inside seems okay, it is just the edges of the lid that have the "gaps" dosen't seem like the heat is coming out at all, maybe I will just goto Superstore and see if they will exchange the lid only.

Anyone know if they will do this? If not I might just have to return the whole thing under their 14 day refund policy

try letting them know it's defective.
Large corporations are usually more chill with accepting returns

Tapioca 07-22-2009 09:55 AM

Don't bother with department store BBQs. They might look nice, but they will probably rust in a couple of years. Also, the heat distribution is typically poorer.

Just check out the running BBQ thread on RFD for advice and deals. Since that forum is dominated by middle-aged guys, you can be sure you'll be getting good advice. Don't go cheap - spend a hundred or two more and get something by Broil-Mate or Weber. http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...q+deals+thread

Since I'm an owner of a Weber Q100 myself, I would highly recommend any grill in the Weber Q series. These grills may be small and have low BTUs, but they have cast iron grills (which leave nice marks on your chicken breast or steak) and they distribute heat evenly with little to no flare ups. Since I just have a condo, I bought a Weber Q100 for $150. Unless you're planning to entertain groups of 15-20, a Weber Q220 (medium sized one) is completely sufficient for your needs. And they're portable too! (if you consider 25-40 lbs portable) The problem is finding one now that we're late into the summer season.

nosaj 07-24-2009 08:10 PM

^werd...cast iron is the way to go!

and i forgot to mention...weber, sterling, broil king all have really good customer service...if ur bbq is broken within the warranty period, just call them up and tell them what parts u need and they will ship the stuff to u at no charge! (manager has told us to use the new boxed bbq model number/serial number to get parts for the floor models :S

and yes, superaman, having screws holes not lining up properly and poor quality are common problems for bbq's....especially for those really cheap made in china bbq's, who claim they are stainless steel when they are not (the easiest way to tell is to put a magnet on there), and u can just feel that the quality is very cheap (sometimes u can bend them with little force)

gnu5 08-16-2009 11:12 AM

i bought a char broil bbq at london drugs for 99$!!! price went up to 140 now! lol use it almost every weekend

willystyle 08-21-2009 01:08 PM

Weber is the way to go. Hands down!

Q300 FTW!