REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
The "You'd Know" Moderator

He's just saying what he doesn't dare to say in real life.
Advertisement

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
NSX
NA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
Hypocritical because you are pleading ignorance of the law. Where as you ticket people for moving violations, even if they claim that they did not know.
How is that skewed? Its not some vauge or odd law that the OP asked about, its a fairly simple law, which you didn't even know about. Then you blame you little rule book for not being up to date. If you are issuing a wrong fine for a violation, you don't know what you are doing. The fine is part of the violation.

You seem quite skewed on your job description and what you have to do.
So the next time somone rear ends you and sends you to the hospital, and the cop that shows up at your scene doesnt know the fine amount for "driving without due care/attention," - The cop should let the guy that rear ended you go without a ticket right?
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
RS Peace Officer

The traffic booklets we get have a description of the offence, the section number of the Motor Vehicle Act, and the fine amount. We are trained on the elements of the specific offences needed to issue a violation ticket. We are not expected to memorize the fine amount nor the section of the Motor Vehicle Act, that is what the booklets we get are for. My traffic booklet has the old fine amount for a seatbelt ticket listed, but I have crossed it out with the updated fine amount as we were emailed a memo when the fine amount changed.

I don't believe Sho was a member at the time the update was made and was likely just given a booklet that did not have the updated fine amount, so unless somebody told him, it is not his fault.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #29
Banned (BBM)

dude man everyone makes a mistake, give the cop a break. Not everyone is so GODDDD LIKE like yourself stutterr where i bet u never made one single mistake in ur career or in life.

are you really gonna dispute the ticket because the cop saved me $30 bux because he was so ignorant he didnt get the updated version of the fines give me a break. So now you gonna go to ICBC and dispute the ticket so you can cry out loud in front of the judge how messed up our justice system is because our cops dont know anything.

There are bad cops and there are good cops. Just like in every human race, there are criminals and there are decent citizens. I personaly dealt with the biggest miserable cop in my life b4, getting harrased left and right. At that time i was obviously thinking for if u werent the dude with the gun i wouldnt be harrased right now and certainly he wouldnt be laughing.

And of course there are some cool cops i met before, explaining me the tickets with patience with warnings and not acting like a power tripping asshole trying to enforce the law. he was cool with the way i mod my car and shit

stereotype at its finest

Last edited by skidmark; 07-20-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: language
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
I laughed.

Don't make it sound like your time is worth more than 8 bucks an hour.
I like this. I'll have to use it in the future.

Quote:
The law is black and white, you sir are not following it.
You really DO want a speeding ticket for doing 53 in a 50, don't you?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Don't make it sound like your time is worth more than 8 bucks an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
I like this. I'll have to use it in the future.
Seconded, this is gold! :IDL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

LOL

this thread is full of win...
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

lol... this thread should be in fight club.
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
i found out that the seatbelt tickets are just fines now, they no longer carry points... i still don't understand why there's a fine for no seatbelt... if I choose not to wear it, i'm putting my own life at risk, not anyone else... I guess its an easy way for ICBC to earn an extra $167...
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Actually...not being restrained inside a vehicle means you will go flying around inside during a crash ( do a google for my fave...the guy in the SUV who goeas flying into the back seat) and hit other occupants, you also do not remain in control of the vehicle & that risks the lives of other occupants and other road users....and when you crash & get injured we pay for your hospital and rehab....assuming you actually survive. If MVB really decided to get serious about the seatbelt thing, the fines would reflect the serious consequences of not wearing them...they would be huge, there would be points assigned and there would be no payout for damages, injuries at all. I spent too many years going to crashes where people died or were maimed and crippled because they chose to not wear the belt. I am 100% in favour of wearing them. Always have and always will. I've been in 3 crashes ( none my fault) and the belts saved me from injury or death in all cases.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well then, put on your seatbelt and screw ICBC out of $167. STICK IT TO THE MAN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
well ICBC doesn't pay for injuries if they can prove you weren't wearing your seatbelt, so there's the "consequence".... i'm just confused why they would increase the fine and take away points...
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #38
RS Peace Officer

My understanding is that they reduce the payout...not eliminate it completely...but YOU (the taxpayer) get stuck for the medical consequences even if they don't. We all subsidize the healthcare costs. The MVB run the system and they are taxpayer paid 100%
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

All the new cars now have a seatbelt detectiong system. It gets annoying as fcuk if you don't put it on. I always put on my seatbelt but when i used to shuttle ppl around, i notice a lot of people don't wear seatbelts and the beeping gets them to put it on for most ppl. But It's probably about 1/20 that just leave the seatbelt off and it pisses me off. Some people even go as far as complaining about the beeping because they are not putting the seatbelt on. jeez...
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #40
RS Peace Officer

The in-car data systems now record all sorts of stuff in the new cars...how fast you were going, what gear you were in, how much braking, if your seat belt was properly buckled, which seats were occupied etc. All this data can be retrieved after a crash and IS...specially in a serious crash. Also when your crashed vehilce goes to ICBC you know they have access to the info and will access it if it will save them money on your claim. Just a warning to anyone trying to lie their way into a claim payout. In most crashes a trained investigator can see if a belt was buckled just by doing a physical exmainatioon of it as well. You should also have seat belt cross strap bruises from the sudden stop.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #41
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
if I choose not to wear it, i'm putting my own life at risk, not anyone else...
Until you get hurt and my tax $ go toward making you better again. You'll have to waive all medical, disability and insurance benefits before I'll say sure, go ahead, don't wear it.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #42
RS Peace Officer

A quote about not wearing belts...from the people who investigated the crashes.

If you don’t wear your seatbelt, you are 25 times more likely to be killed in a crash if ejected from the vehicle. In a 50 km/h head-on crash, a 150-pound adult not wearing a seatbelt will collide with other occupants, strike the inside of the vehicle or get thrown from the car with the same force as the weight of a 3½-ton truck."

OUCH!
"
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Well then, put on your seatbelt and screw ICBC out of $167. STICK IT TO THE MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
All the new cars now have a seatbelt detectiong system. It gets annoying as fcuk if you don't put it on. I always put on my seatbelt but when i used to shuttle ppl around, i notice a lot of people don't wear seatbelts and the beeping gets them to put it on for most ppl. But It's probably about 1/20 that just leave the seatbelt off and it pisses me off. Some people even go as far as complaining about the beeping because they are not putting the seatbelt on. jeez...
my buddies g/f is too light for the sensor in the passenger seat to detect her and enable the airbag I think the "seatbelt check" on an empty sidestreet is probably a good way to make people buckle up.

if anyone complains about having a wear a seatbelt in your car, just tell them you don't want their ugly mug messing up your nice windshield
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote