REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   another ticket and another drop of fines by the police... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583018-another-ticket-another-drop-fines-police.html)

ws6ta 07-18-2009 02:00 PM

another ticket and another drop of fines by the police...

this is starting to get funny. thats the 3rd ticket in a row where I have showed up and had the officer drop the fines and say no evidence. and this is AFTER the officer tried to convince me to plead guilty to a lesser charge and even said he would show my driving record to the JP if I lose and try to reduce my fine. implying JP will not reduce my fine if I decide to dispute and if I do not dispute he will not say anything against me getting a reduction on the ticket.

Lesson of the day boys and girls...if you know you are right don't let them convince you to plead guilty to some nonsense like a reduced fine.

buddy 07-18-2009 02:58 PM

anyone can confirm if cops actually has quota of traffic tickets to issue each month?

Gnomes 07-18-2009 05:24 PM

Was the officer a no-show? I thought they have dedicated court dates to batch up all ticket disputers.

Dan_Guy 07-18-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy (Post 6513302)
anyone can confirm if cops actually has quota of traffic tickets to issue each month?

search, there is a thread about it

sebberry 07-18-2009 10:45 PM

I resent funding the Integrated Road Safety Squad through my tax dollars when I hear of stuff like this.

Berzerker 07-18-2009 11:39 PM

No more quota's but in other news a ticket for no seatbelt costs 167$ Howz that for a load of bullshit. Thats more than a speeding ticket AND running a red light ticket.

Berz out.

Bath Tussue 07-19-2009 12:50 AM

On my last court date, an officer dropped a speeding charge because he lost his notes.
The accused had a confused look in his face when the officer said the charge was dropped.

sho_bc 07-19-2009 05:11 AM

Its $167 now? Hm, I need to update my cheater. I gave out 3 at the old price last night.

And I believe that red light tickets are $167 as well.

Berzerker 07-19-2009 08:39 AM

^^^ Wish it you that had caught me then lol.

The officer recommended I dispute the fine and ask for a reduction.

Berz out.

stutterr 07-19-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6513897)
Its $167 now? Hm, I need to update my cheater. I gave out 3 at the old price last night.

And I believe that red light tickets are $167 as well.

LOL...what a joke!! you don't even know up-to-date costs of fines

I guess you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

sho_bc 07-19-2009 11:04 AM

A joke that we're not provided with up-to-date information? At times I agree. The laws, case-laws, judgements, fines are always changing and have an effect on the way we deal with things. It is a fluid environment in that regard and is hard to keep on top of each and every change as every day there are countless rulings taking place across the country which can affect even the simplest situation. Do I feel bad that I inadvertently gave a couple young kids a cheaper ticket? No.

stutterr 07-19-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6514111)
A joke that we're not provided with up-to-date information? At times I agree. The laws, case-laws, judgements, fines are always changing and have an effect on the way we deal with things. It is a fluid environment in that regard and is hard to keep on top of each and every change as every day there are countless rulings taking place across the country which can affect even the simplest situation. Do I feel bad that I inadvertently gave a couple young kids a cheaper ticket? No.

So you admit that you are not doing your job properly. Whether its issuing wrong amounts for tickets or another carless regard for the laws that you are there to uphold, you are not doing your job properly. The law is black and white, you sir are not following it. I wonder what other crap you just didn't care about. Sure there are lots of changes, even more the reason to KEEP ON TOP OF IT. There is no excuse, you get paid to uphold the law, you had better be informed and educated on what you do. When you start to get sloppy, other things will follow. You must have no pride in your job, nor take any interest to do it properly. Way to go Sho BC, you must make the Burnaby police dept proud, nice to see how high your standards are.

You would surely issue a ticket for something a citizen did not know, you cannot please ignorance of the law. Something to think about next time you issue a ticket.

sho_bc 07-19-2009 11:15 AM

Your vision of what police do seems to be terribly skewed. If you knew anything about our job and paid any attention to the threads on here, you'd know that 99% of our job and the law is varying shades of gray.

*edit per your edit*
I don't think the Burnaby RCMP thinks about me much, as I've never once set foot in their detachment, sub-detachments or cars and do not work in Burnaby. :thumbsup:

stutterr 07-19-2009 11:20 AM

Please. Go cry me a river. You are obviously not giving 100% if you can't even keep up-to-date with the fines you have to issue.

The way I see it, its quite simple. You are out there upholding the law. Thats what you do right?? You can't even keep up-to-date with the fines and/or changes, you shouldn't be issuing tickets period. If you don't know the law, how do you expect an average citizen to know?

You seem to have a skewed vision on what your job is!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6514125)
*edit per your edit*
I don't think the Burnaby RCMP thinks about me much, as I've never once set foot in their detachment, sub-detachments or cars and do not work in Burnaby. :thumbsup:

Regardless I am sure your precinct appreciated your lazyness and overall careless attitutude.

sho_bc 07-19-2009 11:31 AM

Part of my job is educating others as to what the law entails. If they don't know, I explain, inform, educate where I can. Not knowing a fine amount is quite different from not knowing an offence.

I will admit that I am not the be-all-end-all when it comes to federal, provincial and municipal law. I think you would be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who claims that title. Not even your highest paid, top-notch lawyers would claim it after countless years of doing but studying the laws, as they all have focuses and specialties. So, if there is a new fine amount or a new ruling on how things are done, I am happy to be further educated on these things.

stutterr 07-19-2009 11:36 AM

Good to know that the cops out there issuing tickets are so hypocrites. I hope next time you pull someone over and find a violation that they did not know about, you give them mercy. You are pleading ignorance of the law, on a simple thing such as a seatbelt ticket.

There is no excuse for this. You don't keep upto date on new fines, yet you expect all of us to know.

sho_bc 07-19-2009 11:43 AM

Sorry, at what point was I being hypocritical? Admitting that there isn't a single person out there who knows each and every single law? Again, your expectations of police seems to be quite skewed.

I don't expect any member of the general public to know the fine amounts for motor vehicle act violations. Not at all. And if you expect police to know each and every fine amount for each and every violation by heart, I'll say it yet again: Your expectations of police seem to be quite skewed.

G-spec 07-19-2009 12:00 PM

to the OP, props on sticking it to them dude, cops need to stop using their bullshit scare tactics on anyone they pull over, instead they should be using rules of law and follow proper procedure. I got a few disputes I'm working on myself where I plan on working things in court the same way you did cuz I was put in a similar situation as well.

I am pretty sure that it's in their training to always act like they're a 100% right in anything they say or do to the common citizen, and even when they fck up they're not allowed to back off their position. I will never understand this, because I for one will have more respect for a cop who owns up admits a mistake was made.
Because that would show me these are real people out here patrolling the streets with guns and deadly force, and have the ability to think and act like rational beings which would make me and any normal person feel a lot safer than having cops running around acting like this is Communist fckin China acting how they see fit.

and as for seatbelt tickets being almost double than what they used to be, they used to be $90 right ?
I wish they were $500 matter a fact, I got no problem with that, they save lives and I know this from first hand knowledge I won't get into.

stutterr 07-19-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6514150)
Sorry, at what point was I being hypocritical? Admitting that there isn't a single person out there who knows each and every single law? Again, your expectations of police seems to be quite skewed.

I don't expect any member of the general public to know the fine amounts for motor vehicle act violations. Not at all. And if you expect police to know each and every fine amount for each and every violation by heart, I'll say it yet again: Your expectations of police seem to be quite skewed.

Hypocritical because you are pleading ignorance of the law. Where as you ticket people for moving violations, even if they claim that they did not know.
How is that skewed? Its not some vauge or odd law that the OP asked about, its a fairly simple law, which you didn't even know about. Then you blame you little rule book for not being up to date. If you are issuing a wrong fine for a violation, you don't know what you are doing. The fine is part of the violation.

You seem quite skewed on your job description and what you have to do.

wing_woo 07-19-2009 01:43 PM

When I worked at McDonald's, I didn't know the price of every item on the menu. Darn, I must have been a horrible employee, although, when a customer asked me what was in a burger, I did know the answer to that. Oh well, I'll never ever be able to be a good cop cause I don't think I'll remember the cost of every single fine.

stutterr 07-19-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 6514274)
When I worked at McDonald's, I didn't know the price of every item on the menu. Darn, I must have been a horrible employee, although, when a customer asked me what was in a burger, I did know the answer to that. Oh well, I'll never ever be able to be a good cop cause I don't think I'll remember the cost of every single fine.

Well Wing-Woo, I sure as heck hope you knew when they were giving away free cups of coffee, or when there was an increase in price. If you worked there as a cashier and you were charging me for my free coffee, or you were charing the wrong price, you would be a terrible employee.

Bottom line if a cops wastes my time and issues a wrong ticket price, or he just doesn't know than he shoudln't be in a position of power. To compare a fast food employee to a cop is quite far fetched. The consequences from dealing with some cop who doesn't know what he is doing can result is much greater consequences than a fast food employee who does not know a price of an item.

impactX 07-19-2009 05:39 PM

I laughed.

The fine is not a part of the MVA so your whole argument is flawed already.

Get this inside your head:
The fine, unlike the allegation, is not part of the law.

Go look at the MVA and tell us what you see in there.

How does it waste a person's time anyway? You were pulled over for the same amount of time even if the cop wrote "a trillion dollars" as the fine. You show up at ICBC Licensing Centre to pay for the ticket and find out that the fine is not the same. Wow I guess a lot of your time is wasted. Don't make it sound like your time is worth more than 8 bucks an hour.

wing_woo 07-19-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6514317)
Well Wing-Woo, I sure as heck hope you knew when they were giving away free cups of coffee, or when there was an increase in price. If you worked there as a cashier and you were charging me for my free coffee, or you were charing the wrong price, you would be a terrible employee.

Bottom line if a cops wastes my time and issues a wrong ticket price, or he just doesn't know than he shoudln't be in a position of power. To compare a fast food employee to a cop is quite far fetched. The consequences from dealing with some cop who doesn't know what he is doing can result is much greater consequences than a fast food employee who does not know a price of an item.

Well, actually, at McDonald's, it's built into the system and if the computer was not updated, then I would be charging you the old prices. Of course, does that make me a bad employee because the manager didn't update the computer with the new prices? You order a hamburger, and I gave you a hamburger. You might have got it for a cheaper price because the computer wasn't updated.

If you got a speeding ticket, and the officer gave you a lower fine cause he was not provided a copy of the updated fines pricing, would you go to court and argue saying that he's a bad cop cause he didn't know that you were supposed to be fined more than you were?

Rogue951 07-19-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6514317)

You're wasting some of our time... should you be banned?

and what impactX said. the fine is variable.

jlenko 07-19-2009 10:48 PM

Wow, stutterr is a bigger idiot than I thought... getting hung up on such trivial crap. Get a life, buddy.