REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Police came to my house

I don't know if this belongs here, but I'm gonna try anyways. I hope to get advice from people who knows the law.

Anyways, yesterday, police showed up at my door at 1am-ish. They drove a black SUV and a marked car. I wasn't home cause I was at work. The gave my dad and my brother a description that totally didn't match me and said I drove a mazda, which I don't even have. Only thing I can remember is signed a cellphone plan for a friend of mine because he had bad credit and couldn't get a phone. But he told me he cancelled it a long time ago and the cellphone bill stopped coming through the mail.

My dad gave him my cell phone number and my work address (which was the stupidest thing ever), but they didn't come and find me nor have they called me. My dad asked them what they were here for and they wouldn't give him an explanation.

I'm really confused right now and kinda worried that they might show up at my work, which might get me fired. I know for sure that I didn't do anything or have committed a crime that serious for police to show up at my house.

Now, my question is, do police show up at people's houses when they want to arrest them without a warrant? For what reasons would they come to your house to look for you? I know for a fact that police never come to your house or calls you if they want to arrest you.
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
The "You'd Know" Moderator

How about calling them back? That would be a start.

Your guess on why they were there is as good as ours. Does your "friend" drive a Mazda?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
+1 on thread title.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

you should pack your stuff and leave the country ASAP
but seriously just call them, we would have no idea
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zBByU9sNE

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Errrr you signed for a friend with bad credit?

Hmmmmm aren't you the one who has CC companies and other companies after you because you owe them an obscene amount of money?

Either way, like everyone else in this thread said, call the police and see what's up.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
I'm really confused right now and kinda worried that they might show up at my work, which might get me fired.
How would that get you fired? Unless you work in a drug lab or something, all that would do is get the company a wrongful-dismissal suit.

Quote:
I know for sure that I didn't do anything or have committed a crime that serious for police to show up at my house.
Maybe someone else used your name. Maybe they're looking for a different person with the same name. Maybe someone thought you could be a witness to something. Like everyone else has said, just CALL THEM and find out what's up!

Quote:
Now, my question is, do police show up at people's houses when they want to arrest them without a warrant? ... I know for a fact that police never come to your house or calls you if they want to arrest you.
Uh... wat? If you know this "for a fact" why are you asking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
say ur at work, police come to question you, you dont think that will put a black mark on u, and how ur superiors would happen to see you? Unless the police came to your work to give u a big gold star and medal, i doubt any one would see it as a good thing.

but agreed, call the police back and clear things before they escalate. and yes, i thought of the fast n the furious too when i read the title... haha.

and trying to get back on your employer for wrongful dismissal is gonna take a long long long time and a lot of red tape. employers have to give a reason, and probably a valid reason, but there are plenty of valid reasons they can come up with. unless you have some pull, or senority, word on the street is economy is down, and downsizing or letting ppl go is a valid reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
How would that get you fired? Unless you work in a drug lab or something, all that would do is get the company a wrongful-dismissal suit.

Maybe someone else used your name. Maybe they're looking for a different person with the same name. Maybe someone thought you could be a witness to something. Like everyone else has said, just CALL THEM and find out what's up!

Uh... wat? If you know this "for a fact" why are you asking?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Errrr you signed for a friend with bad credit?

Hmmmmm aren't you the one who has CC companies and other companies after you because you owe them an obscene amount of money?

Either way, like everyone else in this thread said, call the police and see what's up.
So just because I have bad credit now it means I had bad credit all my life? Wrong conclusion.

So I call 911 and ask them about this incident. Isn't 911 an emergency call? What number do I call?

And the reason they would fire me is because I am still on probation, if they came to do what ever they needed to do, the company can still decide to release me for any reason they want.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #10

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vancouver+police+non+emergency

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
your friend probably used the cellphone plan for a "work" phone and since it was under your name it's untraceable to him.
jonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
say ur at work, police come to question you, you dont think that will put a black mark on u, and how ur superiors would happen to see you?
Unless they know what you're being questioned about, no, why would it? Maybe you're doing your civic duty by being a witness to something important. Maybe YOU called THEM to report something untoward. Maybe you've just agreed to buy tickets to their charity event.

Unless either you TELL your employer what you're being questioned about - which would be difficult in the OP's case, since he apparently doesn't know himself - or your employer eavesdropped on the conversation - in which case it's probably not somewhere you want to work anyway - there's no way the employer would know either way, unless you're led away in handcuffs. The cops didn't even tell the guy's family why they were looking for him, they certainly wouldn't blurt it out to his boss.

Quote:
Unless the police came to your work to give u a big gold star and medal, i doubt any one would see it as a good thing.
Unless the police came to your work to taser you and haul you away in handcuffs, I doubt anyone would see it as a bad thing.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
So just because I have bad credit now it means I had bad credit all my life? Wrong conclusion.
No, it means your rear may be on the line when your so-called friend 1) doesn't pay for the bills and/or 2) uses the phone for illegal activities.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
So I call 911 and ask them about this incident. Isn't 911 an emergency call? What number do I call?
Try using a phonebook. It's that big yellow thing with all those phone numbers in it. It has the non-emergency line for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

But from other thread, the OP works for a company run by asian owners.

hard to explain, but its seen as a person of "causing drama" if an incident, whether good or bad, happened to the person while at work.

Quote:
Unless they know what you're being questioned about, no, why would it? Maybe you're doing your civic duty by being a witness to something important. Maybe YOU called THEM to report something untoward. Maybe you've just agreed to buy tickets to their charity event.

Unless either you TELL your employer what you're being questioned about - which would be difficult in the OP's case, since he apparently doesn't know himself - or your employer eavesdropped on the conversation - in which case it's probably not somewhere you want to work anyway - there's no way the employer would know either way, unless you're led away in handcuffs. The cops didn't even tell the guy's family why they were looking for him, they certainly wouldn't blurt it out to his boss.

Unless the police came to your work to taser you and haul you away in handcuffs, I doubt anyone would see it as a bad thing.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

sigh, ok, u managed to figure out how to post on RS. you should be able to use the internet, and its search engines, to find the non emergency phone number for the police.

Quote:

And the reason they would fire me is because I am still on probation, if they came to do what ever they needed to do, the company can still decide to release me for any reason they want.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
for every person that gets arrested by the police, there's usually a lot more than 1 witness etc they talk to. Unless your hauled away in handcuffs, your employer shouldn't automatically think you're in trouble with the law.

and like everyone said, just call and ask.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
But from other thread, the OP works for a company run by asian owners.

hard to explain, but its seen as a person of "causing drama" if an incident, whether good or bad, happened to the person while at work.
Guess I'm too white then, because I don't see how someone talking to an officer equates to "causing drama".
Quote:
Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Guess I'm too white then, because I don't see how someone talking to an officer equates to "causing drama".
asian will automatically think that you are in some kind of trouble when a police talks to you.

when a police HAVE TO show up at your work to talk to you... it's not something small like a witness case or charity event. it's obviously something very important. i would think that if a police come to your house to get you, they have an arrest warrant ready.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #20
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i'd definitely ignore it and don't call them at all.

your best bet is to pretend it never happened and hope it blows over.

this is the advice you clearly WANT to hear. because you're too fucking stupid to use common sense.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #21

Quote:
asian will automatically think that you are in some kind of trouble when a police talks to you.
Wow... guess they better hope they never get robbed then, all the employees would be too afraid to talk to the cops. "Oh yeah, I saw the owner's daughter get kidnapped; I saw their faces and their license plates and I know where they went and I could totally save her life, but I'm not telling anyone because the cops might come here to ask me about it, and I'll get fired."

Quote:
when a police HAVE TO show up at your work to talk to you... it's not something small like a witness case or charity event. it's obviously something very important.
Important, yes. Not necessarily bad.

Quote:
i would think that if a police come to your house to get you, they have an arrest warrant ready.
If that's the case, his job is the least of his worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post

this is the advice you clearly WANT to hear. because you're too fucking stupid to use common sense.
Quote:
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post

You know, that is exactly what I am gonna do. Thanks for the great advice.

This thread is dead, clearly revscene members can't read properly. I didn't ask for advice in my OP about what I should do as my next step. All I ask was, why would a police show up at your door, for what reason? And the very first line states that I prefer people who knows the law to post for advice as to what I can do and my rights when a police is at my door.

Common sense, lol. Sometimes common sense gets you arrested. So don't go thinking you're all smart because you know common sense.

Last edited by mr_chin; 07-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Dude.. if they go to the workplace.. let me tell u a couple things that will happen.

1. DRAMA definitely
2. Your supervisor will speak up for you if you're not bein' arrested on the spot for any kinda felony
3. They will not fire you just becuz the police came but they will definitely question you until the thing is clarified
4. should you REALLY be arrested on the spot..there's not much they can do but put u on a leave and let u go if you're away for an extended period of time.

I speak fr hearin' everyone else's exp.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Dude.. if they go to the workplace.. let me tell u a couple things that will happen.

1. DRAMA definitely
2. Your supervisor will speak up for you if you're not bein' arrested on the spot for any kinda felony
3. They will not fire you just becuz the police came but they will definitely question you until the thing is clarified
4. should you REALLY be arrested on the spot..there's not much they can do but put u on a leave and let u go if you're away for an extended period of time.

I speak fr hearin' everyone else's exp.
Thanks. This is the kind of advice I need. Appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
You know, that is exactly what I am gonna do. Thanks for the great advice.

This thread is dead, clearly revscene members can't read properly. I didn't ask for advice in my OP about what I should do as my next step. All I ask was, why would a police show up at your door, for what reason? And the very first line states that I prefer people who knows the law to post for advice as to what I can do and my rights when a police is at my door.

Common sense, lol. Sometimes common sense gets you arrested. So don't go thinking you're all smart because you know common sense.
Why would people think they are smart if they had common sense? Isn't the point of COMMON SENSE that is it COMMON? So if it isn't above average, then by default, it shouldn't be smart and just average.

And no one can really speculate a reason. This is like asking why your mail came in late. You can call and find out or you can post on RS and have everyone guessing. It can be a HUGE array of reasons so asking such a general question is rather pointless.

Just call the police and follow up. If it is something serious, why wouldn't you want to find out?!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote