REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   CIGARS ? A good place to buy a cigar? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583410-cigars-good-place-buy-cigar.html)

blazingazn 07-22-2009 12:14 AM

CIGARS ? A good place to buy a cigar?

Hi I've been into cigars ever since I smoked them in vegas.

Anywhere I can pick up some cigars for cheap?
Or do you folks have any suggestions for places to buy them?

I've been going to Shiefelds and Sons, but I know there are better?
Mainly looking for good value.

I am a complete noob, but have acquired a taste for them.
I still do not like full-bodied, prefer the medium strength ones.

!SG 07-22-2009 06:50 AM

i find all about the same price, so i just go to cigar emporium to pick up my cohiba's.

Tapioca 07-22-2009 10:02 AM

There's a pretty decent place downtown called "2000 Cigars" on Dunsmir and Howe. I picked up a box of Cubans there last year for about $10/cigar and I expect you'll pay about the same at other specialized shops.

Cigars are good on their own, but even better with a glass of peaty single-malt Scotch. :)

Doubledown 07-22-2009 10:20 AM

Revolucion off of Mainland in Yaletown is decent if you are downtown. And yeah, like Tapioca said, cigars go best with single-malt scotch.

!SG 07-22-2009 05:27 PM

try some porte, or even a glass of sherry. dip the tip in the stuff, very unique taste too =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6517789)
There's a pretty decent place downtown called "2000 Cigars" on Dunsmir and Howe. I picked up a box of Cubans there last year for about $10/cigar and I expect you'll pay about the same at other specialized shops.

Cigars are good on their own, but even better with a glass of peaty single-malt Scotch. :)

blazingazn 07-22-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6517789)

10$ each is a decent deal depending on where it's from and size?
Do you remember?

Also was it a specific time of the year sale or something else?

Tapioca 07-22-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingazn (Post 6518413)
10$ each is a decent deal depending on where it's from and size?
Do you remember?

Also was it a specific time of the year sale or something else?

Well, they weren't the huge cigars - just the regular-sized ones. They were authentic Cubans from one of the government-sanctioned companies.

I don't think the place was having a sale. The guy working at the counter seemed to be pretty knowledgeable: I asked him several questions before I made my choice. I bought the cigars for a weekend getaway in Whistler and my friends had no complaints about them.

blazingazn 07-22-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6518595)
Well, they weren't the huge cigars - just the regular-sized ones. They were authentic Cubans from one of the government-sanctioned companies.

I don't think the place was having a sale. The guy working at the counter seemed to be pretty knowledgeable: I asked him several questions before I made my choice. I bought the cigars for a weekend getaway in Whistler and my friends had no complaints about them.

Cool thanks for the tips.

They were likely 4-5" ? 7-8" would be a Churchill.

I have found that most cigars are legit from Honduras and Cuba, they all taste pretty decent even if they're cheap. Long as they're stored in a humidor.

bcrdukes 07-23-2009 07:29 AM

City Cigar on 4th.
Robusto at the end of No. 2 Rd by the Dyke. (Looks like a coffee shop)

sonick 07-23-2009 08:43 AM

Are there any specific cigars that people can recommend that won't make me sound like a complete n00b at the cigar shop, but at the same time aren't expensive (like a casual smoke to have with friends on the patio after a BBQ)?

blazingazn 07-23-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6518972)
Are there any specific cigars that people can recommend that won't make me sound like a complete n00b at the cigar shop, but at the same time aren't expensive (like a casual smoke to have with friends on the patio after a BBQ)?

Are you the same Sonick from RFD? How's your Orange Monster ;)

Honestly, cigar places appreciate noobs, cause they love cigars and what everyone to love them.

I'm still a noob, but from my limited experience find mild to medium bodied cigars. Full bodied is very strong and won't taste good if you aren't use to it.
The darker the cigar I believe, the stronger it is.

A smaller cigar is better, I like the Churchill size (7"-8"), but its very big and takes 2-3 hours for one person to smoke.

Stick to 4-5", they are still about 1-1/2 hours but are managable, especially if you share with a friend.

Some brands that I have tried that won't break the bank:
Cao (Italia, Gold) Gold is very good.
American Stogie
Guantanamera
MonteCristo

I've also tried Romeo Y Julieta and Cohiba but they are expensive.

www.cigar.com is a good place to start. And lots of sites have ratings for cigars.

sonick 07-23-2009 08:24 PM

Orange monster going strong, wearing it almost daily with the watchadoo bracelet!

Any cigar specific stores you could recommend hitting up? Preferably burnaby, richmond area.

I don't mind strong stuff, I drink my coffee black, espresso's straight, and whiskey neat :)

blazingazn 07-23-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6519834)
Orange monster going strong, wearing it almost daily with the watchadoo bracelet!

Any cigar specific stores you could recommend hitting up? Preferably burnaby, richmond area.

I don't mind strong stuff, I drink my coffee black, espresso's straight, and whiskey neat :)

I put my Black Monster near a fireplace and melted it :(

Cigar stores, I don't know many, but the ones suggested I have been recommended some before.

murd0c 07-23-2009 09:18 PM

I have a box(24) of large size cuban cohiba's I might want to get rid of :D

sonick 07-23-2009 09:43 PM

So how exactly do you smoke them? Which end do you cut off and which end do you suck from? LOL. What do you use to cut them, do I need a straight up cigar cutter?

The closest thing to cigars I've smoked are cigarillos and Colts

blazingazn 07-23-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 6519910)
I have a box(24) of large size cuban cohiba's I might want to get rid of :D

I'd be very interested in this, sending you a PM.

blazingazn 07-23-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6519949)
So how exactly do you smoke them? Which end do you cut off and which end do you suck from? LOL. What do you use to cut them, do I need a straight up cigar cutter?

The closest thing to cigars I've smoked are cigarillos and Colts

That's hard to explain without being in person.

But the best way to learn is to actually go to youtube and search how to smoke cigars.

Use a guillotine cutter (less chance of ruining the cigar). The end you have to cut is the end you smoke from, the precut end is for lighting.

blazingazn 07-26-2009 07:11 PM

If anyone has any old cigars sitting around or went to Cuba recently, I'll take them off your hands. . .

Quicktrade 07-28-2009 01:42 AM

lol....so many people smoke cigars in vegas..

Ch28 07-28-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicktrade (Post 6524887)
lol....so many people smoke cigars in vegas..

Nothing like walking around the strip with a glass of scotch in one hand and a cigar in the other :thumbsup:

blazingazn 07-29-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 6526209)
Nothing like walking around the strip with a glass of scotch in one hand and a cigar in the other :thumbsup:

Damn right! Cept a lot of time it was Crown or Vodka :D

Alcohol is the only way to keep cool in the heat, remember that folks.
Also Vodka will go bad in 24 hours if you don't drink it all before then.

blazingazn 08-01-2009 07:08 PM

Bump for any interest?

Gonna be buying from the states soon, parents attending a wedding in Cali.
Anyone want any when I buy mine?

blazingazn 08-01-2009 07:19 PM

Just got an offer of Cohibas from a member and I have confirmed them FAKE

Please be careful and get plenty of info and pictures before buying.

Ask me if you like, I have a variety of resources and online cigar buddies that can determine if they are legit or not.

bcrdukes 08-02-2009 12:18 PM

A member as in an RS member? If so, post name and details.

blazingazn 08-04-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6531257)
A member as in an RS member? If so, post name and details.

I don't think that's fair to put a bad mark on their name.

Maybe they got taken too and didn't even know.

But if you would like to know who it is, please PM me.