REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Meeting new people? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583615-meeting-new-people.html)

iluvalky 07-23-2009 05:33 PM

Meeting new people?

Where in Vancouver is there a good place to meet people (of the opposite sex)?

....and I don't mean for a one night stand. All the guys I have seen I have either met through friends and I'm pretty much done with that scene.

Just looking for some places that would be cool to check out with my girlfriends that isn't flooded with a bunch of creeps who think "no thank you" actually means "yes, please harass me more".

If you're going to ask for pics or a # instead of replying seriously then GTFO..please.

tiger_handheld 07-23-2009 06:17 PM

School , gym , community center, recreational sports teams

asian_XL 07-23-2009 07:11 PM

volunteering...you can meet some nice guys there, but it takes up your time.

anyway, if you are attractive, guys will come to you as long as you don't completely shut the door.

ewong 07-23-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6519767)
volunteering...you can meet some nice guys there, but it takes up your time.

anyway, if you are attractive, guys will come to you as long as you don't completely shut the door.

Volunteering is kinda hit/miss. A lot of places that need committed volunteers tend to be very young ie 15-19 yr olds, since they have the time to volunteer and aren't constantly busy.

People that are bit older tend to volunteer at big events, since they only really need to make that one time commitment. So if you are kinda shy these events might not work very well for you.

But yeah this is my exp being a volunteer coordinator before.

Maybe go join a club or take a class. ie. cooking or dancing

A lot of creeps are in the gym as well lol.

muteki 07-23-2009 09:42 PM

school, some club of interest?

liu13 07-23-2009 10:18 PM

i say sports, basketball since it's summer

everyone is pretty respectful and amicable and the guy:girl ratio would be at least 50:1

iluvalky 07-23-2009 10:37 PM

hmm yeah workshops/classes seem do-able..

what are some ways girls could show they're interested in talking or being approached?

i know guys in vancouver don't really approach girls since they don't wanna get turned down.. sometimes smiling isn't enough for some guys especially when you're with a big bunch of girls who don't really show an interest in talking to guys since most of them have bfs and what not..

n1smo 07-23-2009 10:47 PM

Summer School ^_^

hear-it-first 07-23-2009 11:17 PM

Hmmm.. schools are weird if you are going for a reason other than classes and all, but I am thinking nightmarkets, fireworks, day-time festivals and events, which can be open and social

Girl 07-24-2009 12:50 AM

Jail

mr_piggy 07-24-2009 01:24 AM

Family reunions :D

ewong 07-24-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvalky (Post 6520027)
hmm yeah workshops/classes seem do-able..

what are some ways girls could show they're interested in talking or being approached?

i know guys in vancouver don't really approach girls since they don't wanna get turned down.. sometimes smiling isn't enough for some guys especially when you're with a big bunch of girls who don't really show an interest in talking to guys since most of them have bfs and what not..

Smile!!

Too many girls always seem to be frowning and avoid eye contact. No one will approach you if you seem uptight. Or better yet, you go up to them and say "hi".

hotjoint 07-24-2009 07:09 AM

any outdoor physical activity :)

ecchiecchi 07-24-2009 08:22 AM

Revscene

muteki 07-24-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hear-it-first (Post 6520073)
Hmmm.. schools are weird if you are going for a reason other than classes and all, but I am thinking nightmarkets, fireworks, day-time festivals and events, which can be open and social

How's it weird? I know people that go to church for the sake of hooking up.

kwanzor 07-24-2009 12:02 PM

sports604.com join a team ...

slammer111 07-24-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyComplex (Post 6520618)
How's it weird? I know people that go to church for the sake of hooking up.

^ And you don't think that's weird? If you believe in that religion, there's nothing wrong with that. But to join an event where you don't even believe in the cause/activity imo is pretty creepy/desperate. If you want those, check out some networking events. I know several guys who played the church card, and let's just say that they complain a lot about meeting uber-religious zealots. ;)

Nothing wrong with joining organizations (like sports) to meet people. However, make sure you're actually in the same mentality, or you simply won't click with the others as there's no common ground. eg only go to RS meets if you actually do like cars, or join a basketball league if you actually do like playing basketball. ;)

The trick imo is to join groups where people are NOT cliquey. If they're cliquey, imo you won't even make friends of the SAME sex for crying out loud. Been there done that, complete waste of time.

OP, how old are you, and are you still in school?

Sounds like you're female. If that's the case, imho it's actually not too difficult. Mind you, I'm a GUY, so my POV may be different. I'm assuming you're trying to meet males. Just make sure you and your friends are well-groomed, and smile a lot in general. Unless you're dealing with a playa, most guys imo are actually VERY nervous about approaching a female stranger (myself included ;)), so you do have to give off the "approachable/friendly" vibe or he'll shoot himself down before even taking a step.

Oh, the other thing is not to go to places as a large (3+) group of girls. I hate to say it, but most non-playa guys get freaked out and will NOT approach a cluster of strangers, now matter how hot you look.

Also, it depends on the type of guy you want. Want a fling? Hit up a nightclub. Want to meet professionals? Hit up a networking event or professional association. Want an outdoorsy guy? Join an outdoor sports club. Want to meet males? Go to car/sci-fi/anime/guy-type events. Just tailor the events you go to as something you'd think the other person would naturally want to go to, but again, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ACTUALLY AT LEAST SOMEWHAT INTERESTED IN THE TOPIC.

Oh, and I cannot stress this enough. BE YOURSELF. Not saying you can't have game or flirt or whatnot (which makes you look friendly/attractive to others), but to say you're something when you're not or put on a "fake" personality, is going to get you nothing but superficial contacts. Complete waste of time unless that's what you're looking for.

BallPeenHammer 07-24-2009 01:36 PM

I don't really think it's a matter of place than a matter of mentality.

if u really want a place, Guu restaurant's always good, the one on Robson and Bidwell. I've had a positive experience there (but I'm a dude) 'cuz ppl there are relaxed, and easy to talk to. I've probably, in the last month, invited at least 10 women over to my friends and I just 'cuz I catch what they're saying, I'm helping them get a seat, or I just start a random convo.

I think with women, it's pretty much the same. If you see a guy in a social setting, just go talk to him. "hey, what's going on? heard you were wondering about ABCDE, at ABCDEF, etc etc."

When I approach women I don't even think about sleeping with them. I just....do it.
It seems to work well =)