REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Meeting new people?

Where in Vancouver is there a good place to meet people (of the opposite sex)?

....and I don't mean for a one night stand. All the guys I have seen I have either met through friends and I'm pretty much done with that scene.

Just looking for some places that would be cool to check out with my girlfriends that isn't flooded with a bunch of creeps who think "no thank you" actually means "yes, please harass me more".

If you're going to ask for pics or a # instead of replying seriously then GTFO..please.

iluvalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
School , gym , community center, recreational sports teams

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
volunteering...you can meet some nice guys there, but it takes up your time.

anyway, if you are attractive, guys will come to you as long as you don't completely shut the door.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
volunteering...you can meet some nice guys there, but it takes up your time.

anyway, if you are attractive, guys will come to you as long as you don't completely shut the door.
Volunteering is kinda hit/miss. A lot of places that need committed volunteers tend to be very young ie 15-19 yr olds, since they have the time to volunteer and aren't constantly busy.

People that are bit older tend to volunteer at big events, since they only really need to make that one time commitment. So if you are kinda shy these events might not work very well for you.

But yeah this is my exp being a volunteer coordinator before.

Maybe go join a club or take a class. ie. cooking or dancing

A lot of creeps are in the gym as well lol.
ewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
無敵

school, some club of interest?

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

i say sports, basketball since it's summer

everyone is pretty respectful and amicable and the guy:girl ratio would be at least 50:1
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

hmm yeah workshops/classes seem do-able..

what are some ways girls could show they're interested in talking or being approached?

i know guys in vancouver don't really approach girls since they don't wanna get turned down.. sometimes smiling isn't enough for some guys especially when you're with a big bunch of girls who don't really show an interest in talking to guys since most of them have bfs and what not..
iluvalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Summer School ^_^
n1smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Hmmm.. schools are weird if you are going for a reason other than classes and all, but I am thinking nightmarkets, fireworks, day-time festivals and events, which can be open and social
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
Retired moderator

Jail

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Family reunions
Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvalky View Post
hmm yeah workshops/classes seem do-able..

what are some ways girls could show they're interested in talking or being approached?

i know guys in vancouver don't really approach girls since they don't wanna get turned down.. sometimes smiling isn't enough for some guys especially when you're with a big bunch of girls who don't really show an interest in talking to guys since most of them have bfs and what not..
Smile!!

Too many girls always seem to be frowning and avoid eye contact. No one will approach you if you seem uptight. Or better yet, you go up to them and say "hi".
ewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

any outdoor physical activity
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Revscene
Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
無敵

Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-it-first View Post
Hmmm.. schools are weird if you are going for a reason other than classes and all, but I am thinking nightmarkets, fireworks, day-time festivals and events, which can be open and social
How's it weird? I know people that go to church for the sake of hooking up.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

sports604.com join a team ...
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplex View Post
How's it weird? I know people that go to church for the sake of hooking up.
^ And you don't think that's weird? If you believe in that religion, there's nothing wrong with that. But to join an event where you don't even believe in the cause/activity imo is pretty creepy/desperate. If you want those, check out some networking events. I know several guys who played the church card, and let's just say that they complain a lot about meeting uber-religious zealots.

Nothing wrong with joining organizations (like sports) to meet people. However, make sure you're actually in the same mentality, or you simply won't click with the others as there's no common ground. eg only go to RS meets if you actually do like cars, or join a basketball league if you actually do like playing basketball.

The trick imo is to join groups where people are NOT cliquey. If they're cliquey, imo you won't even make friends of the SAME sex for crying out loud. Been there done that, complete waste of time.

OP, how old are you, and are you still in school?

Sounds like you're female. If that's the case, imho it's actually not too difficult. Mind you, I'm a GUY, so my POV may be different. I'm assuming you're trying to meet males. Just make sure you and your friends are well-groomed, and smile a lot in general. Unless you're dealing with a playa, most guys imo are actually VERY nervous about approaching a female stranger (myself included ), so you do have to give off the "approachable/friendly" vibe or he'll shoot himself down before even taking a step.

Oh, the other thing is not to go to places as a large (3+) group of girls. I hate to say it, but most non-playa guys get freaked out and will NOT approach a cluster of strangers, now matter how hot you look.

Also, it depends on the type of guy you want. Want a fling? Hit up a nightclub. Want to meet professionals? Hit up a networking event or professional association. Want an outdoorsy guy? Join an outdoor sports club. Want to meet males? Go to car/sci-fi/anime/guy-type events. Just tailor the events you go to as something you'd think the other person would naturally want to go to, but again, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ACTUALLY AT LEAST SOMEWHAT INTERESTED IN THE TOPIC.

Oh, and I cannot stress this enough. BE YOURSELF. Not saying you can't have game or flirt or whatnot (which makes you look friendly/attractive to others), but to say you're something when you're not or put on a "fake" personality, is going to get you nothing but superficial contacts. Complete waste of time unless that's what you're looking for.

Last edited by slammer111; 07-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I don't really think it's a matter of place than a matter of mentality.

if u really want a place, Guu restaurant's always good, the one on Robson and Bidwell. I've had a positive experience there (but I'm a dude) 'cuz ppl there are relaxed, and easy to talk to. I've probably, in the last month, invited at least 10 women over to my friends and I just 'cuz I catch what they're saying, I'm helping them get a seat, or I just start a random convo.

I think with women, it's pretty much the same. If you see a guy in a social setting, just go talk to him. "hey, what's going on? heard you were wondering about ABCDE, at ABCDEF, etc etc."

When I approach women I don't even think about sleeping with them. I just....do it.
It seems to work well =)

FS: CAVI/SUNFIRE ECOTEC 2.2L OEM ENGINE PARTS
(CAMS, HEAD, VALVE COVER, BLOCK, AIR BOX, ETC ETC)

FS: OEM CAVALIER/SUNFIRE SEATS - 9/10.[/SIZE]
BallPeenHammer is offline   Reply With Quote