REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Reasonable time for bank to return scammed money?

So I went away with my family a couple weeks ago. We get to our destination and that night I go to use my bank card but it's declined. I try another place and declined again, I realize somethings up.

I call my bank and they tell me my card has been shutdown because it was used in a place where cards/pin info was being stolen and duplicated. There was $400 taken from my account the day the bank canceled the card. Not a big deal I know it happens all the time, it actually happened to a friend of mine on the exact same day it happened to me.

So I go to the bank last Wednesday when we get home and they give me a new card and tell me they'll forward the info to the manager who will call me back. I wait two days don't get a call so I go to the bank Friday afternoon. The manager tells me someone else was suppose to call me blah blah whatever. She tells me it's off to investigation should have my money back in a few days.

It's now been almost two weeks since the money was taken from my account and 9 days since I first reported it at the bank. My friend had his money (which was a larger amount then what was taken from me) returned within 24 hours.

This isn't really an issue about the money but more about the principle for me. I hate having to follow up on this I feel it should just be handled once I bring it to there attention. I hate the fact nobody called me back when they said they would and it pisses me off it hasn't been resolved yet. How many more days do I give them before I go in and bitch again?

Like I said it's not a large amount of money but I feel like I'm being treated like I took the money out myself. I've been banking there for 17 years, I have my mortgage there, my kids RESP accounts, my life savings and everything with them. I'm trying to avoid going in because I have such a temper I'm probably going to say something I'll regret but I'm starting to get pissed.

What would you do? [/rant]
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I would just go to the manager, and tell her that I have been there for 17 years, but what you (the manager and the investigation) has been doing over $400 is going to cost them a loyal client, and any future referrals.

stress on the fact that no one called and she will FREAK.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

yea, it all depends on the bank manager, or more specifically the manager of customer service.

which bank is it? there's been a lot of bank machine fraud going around.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

i think it depends on how "strong" u were about it when talking to the the bank representative.
when this happened to my friend, at first, they said an investigation will be launched and the money will be returned after the investigation is over.

and then my friend in a "angered tone" said, so I'm out xxx.xx amount and I cant have it back right now?!
the person stalled for a few sec and then said
ok what we will do is give u the money back now and then when the investigation is done, we will put in the xxx.xx amount back in but take it back out right after because we are u the money now.

done and done.

this was at TD btw.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The fact that they aren't concerned with keeping a 17 year customer would be enough for me to lose it on them. Go in there and go nuts, it's your money after all.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Ubereem Mod

I believe investigation turn around is 2-3 weeks

that being said, horrible way of handling shit.

But if they can't confirm its skimming in the beginning, they have to do the investigation then reimburse you.

nyways, quasi, it's been 2 weeks. I'd go ballistic on them now.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The boyfriend's card had the same thing happen. They took out $1000, $500 and then another $500 at another location. He had to keep calling and calling BMO, it took I think close to 2 months to see the money back in his account.
LemonH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #8

tell them to let you sign an idemnity form and the bank should reimburse you right away.
your reimbursement and the bank's investigation are totally two different things.

you don't need to scream and yell, just tell them that you are moving all your funds away because "i cannot trust my money with people who can't treat their customers right when it's the bank's job to deal with ATM fraud."

the manager is just lazy to do his/her own job.

oh, and investigations can take forever. so the bank shouldn't be waiting for the "investigation".
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If the card has been placed on fraud status, the bank would usually tell you that the funds will return in about 2 weeks time. But speaking as an insider, the funds should return usually 3-5 business days.

Any longer could mean whoever was handling the investigation at the retail level must have forgotten about it. Its sad to say, but it happens. Let your bank know about the timeline and ask how the process of your investigation is going.

Bank employees who reimburse without a good reason are asking for trouble. Being yelled and screamed at isn't good enough one. Take TRDood's comments with a grain of salt.
Scudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #10

I haven't had the time to go back to my branch since posting this Friday. I'm hoping I can stop in tomorrow and talk to the manager. When I go in I'm probably going to just tell her straight up to put the money in my account right now. As long she does that there probably won't be an issue and all will be forgotten.

If however she jerks me around odds are I'm going to go into straight up rage, loud talker, in your face profanity mode. It won't solve anything but whatever, that's what always happens once I get really pissed off.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I haven't had the time to go back to my branch since posting this Friday. I'm hoping I can stop in tomorrow and talk to the manager. When I go in I'm probably going to just tell her straight up to put the money in my account right now. As long she does that there probably won't be an issue and all will be forgotten.

If however she jerks me around odds are I'm going to go into straight up rage, loud talker, in your face profanity mode. It won't solve anything but whatever, that's what always happens once I get really pissed off.
well in stead of wasting your time and energy at yelling (which probably will happen, unfortunately), log onto your online banking, and send the CSRs in the complaints department an ANGRY email.

It just happened.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
well in stead of wasting your time and energy at yelling (which probably will happen, unfortunately), log onto your online banking, and send the CSRs in the complaints department an ANGRY email.
If I can find where to send it I'll try that tonight.

Cheers

Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

credit unions must reimburse within 10 days.

you need to fill out paperwork to claim the lost money first, so if you didn't do this yet, then this step needs to be completed. FI's are covered by insurance companies, they aren't reluctant to pay back customers at all.

you don't need to come into the bank and yell like a douche. if you send angry, immature emails to csrs, you will get laughed at.

Last edited by JHatta; 07-27-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: grammatical mistake
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #14

It's not a credit union it's one of the major banks. I wouldn't yell at a CSR, I wouldn't even deal with them for something like this. They would have to run it past the manager anyway and can't do anything for me. If you read my post you'd see I have been nice so far and I said next time I go in I'm going to be nice as well. It's only if they don't refund me the money now that I've waited a reasonable amount of time and screw me around that there will be an issue.

I'm betting what will happen is I'll go in, talk to the manager and she'll put the money in my account right away without a fight. If all goes well there will be no yelling and no argument.

Last edited by quasi; 07-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #15

i bet you the bank manager just forgot about your file. it's only $400 and you have proof that you are not the one that conducted the transaction.

since it's only $400, the bank manager should be able to do it very quickly because they don't need upper level approvals. the bank manager is just an asshole. it's always reimburse first, investigate later. this is why you sign a waiver.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Alright, finally had time to stop by the bank today. I was told that it wasn't received by the investigations department until 4 days after I had went in and because of that I wouldn't be getting my money back until maybe Thursday or Friday. This of course didn't sit to well with me and I had to be a bit more demanding.

I told her that was not acceptable and I wanted something done today. She said sorry I'm going to have to wait, it was bank policy. I didn't like that answer either and told her having the claim put in 4 days after I went in wasn't good enough and again she placed the blame on the investigations department saying she had submitted it before but they wanted her to resubmit it?

At this point I explained that I wanted it done now, reminded her how long I've been banking there I have all my money, my mortgage ect with them. I said it's only $400 and frankly I don't even care about the money it's the principal and I'm not happy and I'm frustrated with the whole situation. She then goes OK, I can refund the money now I'll make an exception...............

This you might think would make me happy but it actually made me more mad. I asked her, "Why didn't you just do that in the first place? Why make me get angry and raise my voice?" I tore into her for not just doing this in the first place, then thanked her and left. For the record I didn't let the profanity fly, I didn't swear at all. I was firm and a bit pissed off but I think I was fair.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #17

Just a poor attempt to cover up a brain fart from the manager's side lol

It just happened.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
Ubereem Mod

She's just protecting her own ass first for 400 bucks vs trying to please you.

Good job though, on being firm. I wouldn't be able to wait any longer for those kind of managers.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
This is why I use CCs, I cannot remember the last time I used my debit card except at a branch.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Alright, finally had time to stop by the bank today. I was told that it wasn't received by the investigations department until 4 days after I had went in and because of that I wouldn't be getting my money back until maybe Thursday or Friday. This of course didn't sit to well with me and I had to be a bit more demanding.

I told her that was not acceptable and I wanted something done today. She said sorry I'm going to have to wait, it was bank policy. I didn't like that answer either and told her having the claim put in 4 days after I went in wasn't good enough and again she placed the blame on the investigations department saying she had submitted it before but they wanted her to resubmit it?

At this point I explained that I wanted it done now, reminded her how long I've been banking there I have all my money, my mortgage ect with them. I said it's only $400 and frankly I don't even care about the money it's the principal and I'm not happy and I'm frustrated with the whole situation. She then goes OK, I can refund the money now I'll make an exception...............

This you might think would make me happy but it actually made me more mad. I asked her, "Why didn't you just do that in the first place? Why make me get angry and raise my voice?" I tore into her for not just doing this in the first place, then thanked her and left. For the record I didn't let the profanity fly, I didn't swear at all. I was firm and a bit pissed off but I think I was fair.

good job, and the bank will NEVER investigate for $400 only, given that you have solid proof and you are a customer with good records.

unless you are part of a "big" attack. lol
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
good job, and the bank will NEVER investigate for $400 only, given that you have solid proof and you are a customer with good records.

unless you are part of a "big" attack. lol
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Do you spew bullshit just for the sake of 'sticking it' to the big guy? Not one of your posts in this thread has been useful or informative. Just stop.
Scudz is offline   Reply With Quote